PDA

View Full Version : Speed Demons - News Piece on Cyclist.

BURCH
09-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Did anybody in the Greater NYC area catch the local news piece on Speed Demons? I wanted to watch it, but forgot. It was on last night (11pm news). They were doing a little piece on how cyclist are becoming more and more a danger. Can't even remember which station did the piece though.

Fixed
09-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Bro soon they will just shoot us cos we don't buy gas and I don't even own a car .Cheers :beer:

Hank Scorpio
09-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Surprisingly it could have been worse. They had a woman on who got knocked down by a cyclist and hurt her knee. It was a really short piece. The main thrust of it was that there is a speed limit of 15 mph for bicycles in the park that nobody knows about because it isn't posted anywhere in the park.

Argos
09-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Yeah, and since no one knows about it, but everyone knows there has been bike racing there for 50+ years, I guess the biker's assumption is "Let's go!". Not unfounded, really.

johnmdesigner
09-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Central Park is about the most dangerous place that you could ride. Rollerblades, the I-Pod and greater access to prescription drugs have made most people oblivious to cyclists and the rules of the road. I once had a rollerblader come down the hill straight at me in the wrong direction. Mountain bikers are the worst offenders-riding on the pedestrian paths and ruining the grass with "off road" antics. Riding in Central Park? Don't bring anything more expensive than a Univega!

christian
09-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I ride Central Park a couple times a week, either at 6am or around 7pm. It's not as bad as all that during the week.

Given the proximity of Westchester and NJ, there is no reason to ride in CP on weekends.

- Christian