PDA

View Full Version : closest saddle to Terry Fly Ti?

mvrider
08-13-2012, 10:37 AM
I've decided that my bike would look better with a white saddle, but my favorite, the Terry Fly Ti, no longer comes in white. Anyone have any idea what would be the closest? A few Selle Italia options look close, but I don't have personal experience with them.

Some key features:
central cut-out
padded pelvis bumps
genuine leather (I just don't like how synthetics stick to my shorts)
light weight

I have searched the forum and found lots of recommendations, but none specifically for an equivalent to the Terry Fly Ti. Thanks!!!

CNY rider
08-13-2012, 12:11 PM
I like the Terry Fly Ti, and the Rolls is another saddle that I find very comfortable.
I realize that it's a different shape, no cutout etc. but seems to work for me AND it comes in white.

MerckxMad
08-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I believe that the Fly is made by Selle Italia. IIRC, the there's a white version of the Trans Am that is close if not identical to the Fly.

mvrider
08-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Yup, I knew that Terry had worked with Selle Italia on the Fly and had looked at their site. I couldn't find the Trans Am, but maybe the C2 Gel Flow is the next closest?

Anyway, the choices are bewildering. Aside from Flow = cut-out, it's hard to figure out which model out of their dozens would be closest.

veloduffer
08-14-2012, 08:02 AM
I don't have a suggestion for the Terry Fly. But I highly recommend that whatever saddle you like, buy several backups and if they come in different colors, buy at least one in each color. Over time, you will probably get several bikes and there's nothing worse than the trial & error of getting a new model saddle.

For the past 25 years, I've only used two saddles - Vetta SP and now Selle Italia SL Flow. I collected Vetta saddles by scouring eBay periodically to buy them on the cheap and do the same now for the SI SL. I stumbled upon the Selle Italia because it was on a bike that I bought from the LBS.

I remember Indurain and Armstrong used the same saddle model throughout their careers. I read somewhere that Armstrong has Mellow Johnny customers break in his saddles (San Marco Concor) for him, as he doesn't like them new.

Ramjm_2000
08-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Why not have it custom recovered? Doesn't ahneida ride work with a saddle guy to match his tape?