PDA

View Full Version : New build starting, group choice?

Futchgator
08-13-2012, 09:57 AM
I just picked up a 10th anniversary Serotta Legend Ti from a fellow paceliner and I'm wondering what components I should build it up with... For the last few years I've ridden Red exclusively and I'm thinking of going with the new 2013 Red, does anyone have any opinions/ experience with the new stuff? What about 7900 DA, looks like some good deals are out there with the new stuff coming but I've never laid a finger on it... I loved the 7800 though! And then ofcourse, there's always campy... Any thoughts? FWIW, I plan on keeping this rig forever so I wanna do it right!

Dromen
08-13-2012, 10:03 AM
1. Campy/Shimano - upper tier models. Both are using more and more plastic parts these days.
2. Red. - Get ready to buy new chain rings even with the "new" red if you want spot on front shifting.

couldn't help myself

benc
08-13-2012, 10:03 AM
DA
Campy
Red

Shimano first for reliability, comfort, maintenance and replacement cost/ availability.

Campy second for reliability.

Red last for reliability.

AngryScientist
08-13-2012, 10:05 AM
short answer = they all work

best answer = super record

incorrect answer = sram

long answer = how does the word campagnolo make you feel?

longer answer = what about electric groups?

Aaron O
08-13-2012, 10:08 AM
I don't see any reason to ever go with anything but Campagnolo. I'm not sure how someone can argue that Shimano is more durable when Campagnolo can be repaired and Shimano can't be, but mmmmk. It's not cheaper than Campagnolo apples to apples, it's more difficult to maintain and I have found it to be less durable.

Comfort is subjective. The critical part is what system feels most intuitive for you?

Ti Designs
08-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Wald. Name another group that comes with a kickstand and wire baskets...

Kontact
08-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Also love Wald.

We've had a new Red group in the mix since a week before the stuff was even released. Absolutely zero problems - I don't understand the shifting commentary, it works perfectly.

Other than that, consider a non-group build. Miche, Microshift, Tiso shifting with Feather or Egg brakes, Aerozine or Sugino cranks. Every bike doesn't have to be a Shimano billboard - there's some really cool independent stuff out there.

Fishbike
08-13-2012, 10:52 AM
The low-mid to upper levels of all three work well. Various combinations of parts that play well togther can be put together to make all three similar in price. So it's personal perferance.

What hood shape do you like? How does hood shape effect reach? Are your fingers strong enough to push the SRAM lever all the way? Can you reach the Campy button from your favorite positions? Do you like the space-age cranks on Shimano? Do you covet a traditional alloy crank that you can only get with Veloce or Athena (assuming you want a complet groupset)? Do you believe that ti requires all black components?

Your bike is a Serotta which I think can wear are groups well. Some bikes, i.e. certain steel Italian frames, NEED Campy.

BCS
08-13-2012, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=Futchgator;1187120] FWIW, I plan on keeping this rig forever!/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha, you must be new here.

If you like the shape of the Red hoods and the way Sram performs, no reason to change. All the groups work well. Pick what pleases you.

crankles
08-13-2012, 11:13 AM
I have the new sram red on a new build. Love it. I prefer the short lever throw of Sram over DA and it's got's the best rear shifting of them all. Campy still wins in the front shifting department ....but new red sets a pretty high bar.

for full disclosure, a lot of my decisions are practical ones too. I race road and cross and have lots of wheels, all of which need cassettes. Campy is almost cost prohibitive when trying to outfit 6-7 wheel sets and the thumb lever has never worked for me in race conditions like crits and cross races.

under those constraints, I still go sram over shimano

Futchgator
08-13-2012, 12:08 PM
All good points with regards to the respective groups... The major drawback with campy is that they are not compatible with my King classic rear wheel which is near and dear to my heart. If this were a Pegoretti then no doubt Campy would be the only option... That being said I prefer Red over D/A, the shifting is more intuitive IMO and while I'm young in age (relatively) I'm very much old school so electric isn't even on my Radar...

So far the build is shaping up to be:
Serotta Legend Ti
HE'D Belgium C2 with red King Classic's
3T Doric limited post
3T rotundo limited handle bar (classic bend)
King h/s and bb, both red (the latter depending on compatibility)
To be continued...

Marcusaurelius
08-13-2012, 11:30 PM
I like campagnolo but the dura ace 7800 is one of the better cranksets I've used. I've never felt comfortable using shimano shifters but the first time I tried campagnolo ergo shifters I was hooked.

oldpotatoe
08-14-2012, 08:00 AM
I just picked up a 10th anniversary Serotta Legend Ti from a fellow paceliner and I'm wondering what components I should build it up with... For the last few years I've ridden Red exclusively and I'm thinking of going with the new 2013 Red, does anyone have any opinions/ experience with the new stuff? What about 7900 DA, looks like some good deals are out there with the new stuff coming but I've never laid a finger on it... I loved the 7800 though! And then ofcourse, there's always campy... Any thoughts? FWIW, I plan on keeping this rig forever so I wanna do it right!

7900, 6700 since you have a rear hub(classic CK) issue.

Or step up, change some wheels and get Campagnolo.....

not sram, IMHO.

Fixed
08-14-2012, 08:02 AM
7900, 6700 since you have a rear hub(classic CK) issue.

Or step up, change some wheels and get Campagnolo.....

not sram, IMHO.

Why would you listen to anyone else ?
Cheers

thegunner
08-14-2012, 08:12 AM
short answer = they all work

best answer = super record

incorrect answer = sram

long answer = how does the word campagnolo make you feel?

longer answer = what about electric groups?

Nick, I love reading your thoughts on things -- but sometimes I hate this forum's uncontrollable boner for campy / random hatred towards sram :p

oldpotatoe
08-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Nick, I love reading your thoughts on things -- but sometimes I hate this forum's uncontrollable boner for campy / random hatred towards sram :p

Hate is a pretty big word. Just bike parts afterall.

Not random in some cases. Like some wheelsouttaboxes, they sometimes cost a retailer $(or reduce margin by extra labor costs) to sell/service the items. Not many manufacturers recoup the retailer labor $ when they have to do things like take the lever off, warranty and reinstall. When something is pretty new, and it just doesn't work or breaks, and the retailer sold it, it is often their $ to make it right, labor wise.