PDA

View Full Version : Lezyne Road Drive mini pump

rwsaunders
08-13-2012, 08:36 AM
I had a long ride planned for this past weekend while in Seattle and I forgot my pump, so I picked up a Lezyne Road Drive mini pump on Friday night after reading nice words on the web.

Fast forward to yesterday, and my riding buddy had two punctures within five miles of each other on our last leg home. Live fire drill for the pump. Attached the hose on the mini pump, screwed on to the valve and presto, pumped the tire. No fuss, no muss. I'm impressed.

FlashUNC
08-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Their mini and full-size pumps are pretty fantastic.

I'm a big fan of their stuff.

crownjewelwl
08-13-2012, 08:43 AM
the hose makes a huge difference...

but make sure you have your valve cores in there tightly...i've pulled a few out unscrewing the hose

Ahneida Ride
08-13-2012, 08:50 AM
I just purchased one ...

Make sure to use that little black button to release hose pressure
before unscrewing hose. I read the directions ! :banana:

mvrider
08-13-2012, 09:02 AM
+1

Fortunately, I have not needed to use the Road Drive much, but on those rare occasions, I have found the pumping action to be smooth and require lower effort than other pumps I've used in the past.

I now have one each in silver, black, and white! Mine are the medium length. Has anybody seen the need for the long length?

John Price
08-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Plus another.

I've had to use mine twice in the past 3 weeks (darn goatheads!) and that hose is what makes all the difference. Great little pump.

christian
08-13-2012, 09:27 AM
I got one this weekend after using a friends. I'm impressed with it.

BTW, it's easier to put the hose on the valve, first, rather than on the pump first. That way you don't have to twirl the pump as you put the hose on the valve.

Ahneida Ride
08-13-2012, 09:29 AM

BTW, it's easier to put the hose on the valve, first, rather than on the pump first. That way you don't have to twirl the pump as you put the hose on the valve.

Smart !!!!! Why did I not think of that !!!!!! :eek: :eek:

What a dummy I am !

weiwentg
08-13-2012, 09:48 AM
this is why I recommend Lezyne all the time. maybe I should ask them to pay me or something.

bluesea
08-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Be sure to grease the hose storage threads, especially if you flat infrequently. ;)

crownjewelwl
08-13-2012, 10:19 AM
I just purchased one ...

mini-pumps come with instructions??

Ahneida Ride
08-13-2012, 10:58 AM
mini-pumps come with instructions??

Yup and I Actually read them ..... !!!! :banana: :banana:

Release residual air pressure in hose before removing from valve.

There is a small black button that accomplishes this.

crownjewelwl
08-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Yup and I Actually read them ..... !!!! :banana: :banana:

Release residual air pressure in hose before removing from valve.

There is a small black button that accomplishes this.

this is why i don't work on my bikes...

russ46
08-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I've been carrying mine around for about 1-1/2 years because it looked good. Until the past 3 months that is. Have had to fix 3 flats lately - 2 mine & 1 for a rider w/no pump. I've got a medium so their guage will fit inside. The guage helps my mental outlook so I can ignore my failing arm muscle. Great pump - amazing how much faster it is compared to other mfg's of similar size.

CaliFly
08-13-2012, 01:53 PM
I just purchased one ...

Three pulled cores...that's what I get for being a man. :crap::crap::crap:

slidey
08-13-2012, 02:05 PM
There are three "That's what she said" lines right there :banana:

Well done sir! (That's what she said ;) )

the hose makes a huge difference...

but make sure you have your valve cores in there tightly...i've pulled a few out unscrewing the hose

bambam
08-13-2012, 02:52 PM
I was looking into one of these but noticed that it scews on.
Question:
Does it screw onto the first set of thereds where the cap of the tube is or does it screw onto the long part of the valve?
Put another way, Will it work on smoth valves?

Thanks

AngryScientist
08-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Will it work on smoth valves?

Thanks

yes

krhea
08-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Love those pumps and "never leave home without one", never a problem and the hose is genius.

DHallerman
08-13-2012, 03:04 PM
I just purchased one ...

Only the more recent versions of the Lezyne have that black pressure release button.

I actually like their latest hose, which has the release button and two types of presta connectors: screw-on at one end and the more traditional rubber ring press-on at the other end.

Dave, who will admit to sourcing the rare white Lezyne Road Drive to match his white Seven

Louis
08-13-2012, 05:56 PM
I just went to the Lezyne web site, and I see that the Road Drive comes in two sizes, Medium and Large. The M is 216mm long and the L 283mm long. Which size have you been using and what do you recommend? (FWIW, I get maybe one or two flats per year. I know I shouldn't have said that, and I'll probably get three on my next two rides...)

I've been using a full-size frame-mounted (TT) pump for ages and I've been thinking of switching to something else (CO2 in saddle-bag or mini-pump in jersey pocket).

bluesea
08-13-2012, 06:34 PM
I just went to the Lezyne web site, and I see that the Road Drive comes in two sizes, Medium and Large.

Based on thumb-pressure calibration, 200 pump strokes (less than 2 min.) on a medium gets me about 95# for a Conti 4000S.

mdeeds71
08-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Have the pump all are talking about as well as the mini floor pump for the travel case...awesome products. Work well and get going in no time...still rely on CO2 for the quick repairs though.

slueck
08-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Another +1 for this product. Don't regret buying a Lezyne mini pump or floor pump.

rwsaunders
08-13-2012, 07:39 PM
I just went to the Lezyne web site, and I see that the Road Drive comes in two sizes, Medium and Large. The M is 216mm long and the L 283mm long. Which size have you been using and what do you recommend? (FWIW, I get maybe one or two flats per year. I know I shouldn't have said that, and I'll probably get three on my next two rides...)

I've been using a full-size frame-mounted (TT) pump for ages and I've been thinking of switching to something else (CO2 in saddle-bag or mini-pump in jersey pocket).

Louis...I bought the medium...216mm in length and it does have the bleed valve that others have mentioned.

tch
08-13-2012, 08:03 PM
...wants an answer. Medium? or Large? Anybody own/use both? How many strokes to, say, 90psi w/the medium?
Thanx.

rwsaunders
08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
...wants an answer. Medium? or Large? Anybody own/use both? How many strokes to, say, 90psi w/the medium?
Thanx.

I didn't have a pressure gauge, but 40-50 strokes using the medium pump seemed to be adequate in getting a 23mm tire to a decent riding pressure. Pro Race 3 with a Kenda tube if that means anything, and my riding buddy tips the scale at +/- 215 lbs, so I wasn't shy about inflating the tire.

I'll also add that his tire didn't have many miles on it, but there were quite a few slices. We patched the tubes and I applied a Park liner to the inside of the tire as well. One puncture was definately a result of a slice, while the other was a blowout from hitting a pothole. Alki Beach roads suck, especially when you're on the return leg of a 60 mile ride.

choke
08-13-2012, 08:58 PM
It is a great pump. I ending up buying a large after much contemplation....I had room for it and I thought it would be likely be more efficient. I mounted mine on the seat tube and it's not in the way at all.

Louis
08-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Louis...I bought the medium...216mm in length and it does have the bleed valve that others have mentioned.

Thanks. Do you carry it on the bike or in your jersey?

If in a jersey pocket, is it all annoying, or do you not notice it?

TIA

buldogge
08-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Hey Louis...I have a few, if you want to try one.

I keep them on the bikes with Acorn M saddle bags, as they fit inside...too big for a small bag like a Fizik or Arundel...I use Topeak MicroRocket ALs for that.

-Mark in St. Louis

TIA

rwsaunders
08-13-2012, 09:20 PM

TIA

I mounted the pump bracket under my rear water bottle cage, but it could be carried in your jersey pocket. I carry an Epipen during bee season in my jersey, and the pump is 65mm longer than the pen...just measured it. The jersey pocket is 170mm deep so I don't think it would be too bad...haven't tried it though.

Sounds like a math problem...if a jersey pocket is 170mm deep, an Epipen is 65mm shorter than a 216mm mini pump, how much of the pump is sticking out of the jersey pocket...if you're not wearing Rapha?

Ahneida Ride
08-13-2012, 09:21 PM
I just did a test on a 25 Michelin Krillion tire.

I have the Small Pressure Drive. (with hose)

It took about 185 strokes to get about 100 pounds.

So it works !

Works far better then my Large Zefal HP frame pump.

Aaron_Kellogg
08-13-2012, 09:37 PM

This is great never thought to do that. Thankfully I haven't had to use it much but it has been a great performer when needed!

Chance
08-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Surprising how many positive feedback for any mini pump with a hose. Would have not expected it after trying a different one years ago. Nothing wrong with the basic operation but rather the use of a short hose itself. Just seemed awkward to operate and support, or hold the tire (or bike) at same time. So looked up video below to see if it’s time to give a hose another try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXeBOdxWCSk

Seems easy enough when one guy holds the tire while the other makes the connections, but what about when you are doing it by yourself? How do you guys go about it? Do you inflate tire first before installing on bike? Do you lay it on ground as you pump it up? And so on? Feedback would be appreciated. Trying to see what’s the advantage of having the hose at all.:confused:

With a hose-less mini the tire and one pump end are held in one hand. That doesn’t seem too practical with any hose pump since both hands have to hold pump only. Obviously missing something here as to typical procedure.

John Price
08-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Chance,

I just lay the wheel on the ground or prop it up against a fence post or something. No need to grip the clamp and the wheel at the same time since the hose lets you pump away in about any position. That's what I like about it.

John

Chance
08-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Chance,

I just lay the wheel on the ground or prop it up against a fence post or something. No need to grip the clamp and the wheel at the same time since the hose lets you pump away in about any position. That's what I like about it.

John

Thanks John. Didn't like having to sometimes pump at ground level, and mine had a longer hose. If there isn't a fence or tree or something to lean tire against, it ended flat on ground as you mentioned. And because of the short hose, it requires the "pumper" to almost squat to the ground to avoid pulling up on the valve stem. Without a hose, either a traditional frame or mini pump allows me to just bend over a little since the tire remains upright with valve stem about 2-feet off ground.

Should probably give a hose pump another try although this aspect that bothered me probably hasn't changed at all.

mvrider
08-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Lezyne sells a replacement hose for their mini pumps that incorporates a pressure gauge. Has anyone tried it?
http://road.cc/content/review/12289-lezyne-pen-gauge-hose

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/imagecache/preview_500/images/road.cc%20pics/Lezyne%20Pan%20Gauge%20hose.jpg

crownjewelwl
08-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Lezyne sells a replacement hose for their mini pumps that incorporates a pressure gauge. Has anyone tried it?

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/imagecache/preview_500/images/road.cc%20pics/Lezyne%20Pan%20Gauge%20hose.jpg

it only works with the larger sizes...

i have one and and works as advertised...it is nice to be able to see the actual pressure when you're on the road/trail...however, who knows how accurate it is!

christian
08-14-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't hold it any different from a regular mini pump, except my hand grabs the just pump and wheel, not the pumphead/valve and wheel, and the pump sits a few cm away from the valve stem. I still align the pump perpendicular to a far side spoke and a near side spoke, near parallel to the rim bed to brace the pump a bit.

It just reduces the (admittedly small) risk of tearing the valve stem.

Chance
08-14-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't hold it any different from a regular mini pump, except my hand grabs the just pump and wheel, not the pumphead/valve and wheel, and the pump sits a few cm away from the valve stem. I still align the pump perpendicular to a far side spoke and a near side spoke, near parallel to the rim bed to brace the pump a bit.

It just reduces the (admittedly small) risk of tearing the valve stem.

Christian, not following entirely. Do you hold the pump body up tight against the tire/rim with one hand while you pump with the other hand?

christian
08-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Yes, exactly.

I also orient the wheel to have a near-side spoke nearest the pump handle and a far-side spoke nearest the pump head. This provides a small degree of "inward" cant to the pump which I find makes it easier to grasp together with the wheel.

The short answer is - I use it just like you or I would use any other mini-pump. I just don't brace the valve stem.

FlashUNC
08-14-2012, 12:57 PM

TIA

I've ridden with the medium in my pocket for close to two years now. Don't even notice it. I put it in my center jersey pocket with some other stuff, so it doesn't roll or flop around.

54ny77
08-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Is the carbon version the same thing just more expensive?

Chance
08-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Yes, exactly.

I also orient the wheel to have a near-side spoke nearest the pump handle and a far-side spoke nearest the pump head. This provides a small degree of "inward" cant to the pump which I find makes it easier to grasp together with the wheel.

The short answer is - I use it just like you or I would use any other mini-pump. I just don't brace the valve stem.

Thanks. Sounds like a great way to get around the problem of having to bend over too far. Will try with my old mini pump if it can be found.

scooter
08-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Agree with crownjewelwl on the pressure gauge (or pen gauge). The pressure gauge, however, provides a convertable flip chuck so you can use it on presta or shrader valves by flipping the hose end around. Note: It only fits into the storage chamber on the medium or large Lezyne mini pumps.

I prefer the large size mini pump as I get a bit more pressure in the tires, but I'll take along the medium if I want to keep the pump inside a jersey pocket instead of clipping it onto the bike.

I

bluesea
08-14-2012, 02:32 PM
I change tubes on the road standing up (Conti 4000S/Campy Neutron). It takes control and coordination to pump the road drive with the wheel laying down, but as mentioned, I pump 200 strokes in less than 2 min. That without stressing the valve.

Ahneida Ride
08-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Surprising how many positive feedback for any mini pump with a hose. Would have not expected it after trying a different one years ago. Nothing wrong with the basic operation but rather the use of a short hose itself. Just seemed awkward to operate and support, or hold the tire (or bike) at same time. So looked up video below to see if it’s time to give a hose another try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXeBOdxWCSk

Seems easy enough when one guy holds the tire while the other makes the connections, but what about when you are doing it by yourself? How do you guys go about it? Do you inflate tire first before installing on bike? Do you lay it on ground as you pump it up? And so on? Feedback would be appreciated. Trying to see what’s the advantage of having the hose at all.:confused:

With a hose-less mini the tire and one pump end are held in one hand. That doesn’t seem too practical with any hose pump since both hands have to hold pump only. Obviously missing something here as to typical procedure.

all I can tell ya is that Large Zephal frame pump is questionable at best.
the 6 inch Lezyne mini pump with hose works.

The hose is the secret. Trying to hold the Zephal on the value while
pumping is really difficult.