PDA

View Full Version : OT: Olympic Closing Ceremony London (spoiler?)

1happygirl
08-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Impressions anyone?

Before my time but...Brian May? guitar with Queen Awesome
Spice Gals always fun.
Quick question (never meant to stir debate-Mamma said Two wrongs don't make right. take the high road happy girl)
Aren't the Olympics money losers for countries? I know the next summer and winter Olympics are in some areas with poverty. Is this gonna help or hurt?

Thanks in advance; always learn something.
PS as Tom Browkaw or Bob Costas said to some important English person, "We (Americans) didn't understand all of the opening ceremony symbolism. English Person-Don't worry, we didn't either." Wish I could have gone myself to the games, especially there.
Seems like all of these ceremonies, not just this one, have to have play-by-play with them?

Oh and one more ? What was up with the Boos for Jacques Rogaine (IOC director)??? Related to ticket controversy or something else?
LOVED the Brokaw Churchill/WWII piece the day before though.Greatest Generation.
PPS Where was Elton John??(sad face) and barely the Bee Gees

bikinchris
08-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Monty Python skit was my favorite.

Atlanta was not a money loser. But IOC didn't like that. I guess they would rather have people going around taking down Olympic decorations.

sc53
08-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Jacques Rogaine (IOC director)???

LOL HappyGirl! Good one!
But I don't know why he was booed.

tch
08-13-2012, 08:40 AM
But I don't know why he was booed.

Maybe because the IOC itself, despite all its public relations efforts, is really a bunch of self-interested, self-aggrandizing, old men with an agenda to leverage the feel-good "internationalism" of the games to their own benefit.

While the games themselves are often pinnacles of international competition and sportsmanship, the IOC is a private, exclusive club, answering only to itself, making its own rules, choosing its own members, and operating in an insular climate that its critics claim -- and even its own supporters admit -- lacks openness and accountability. With a history of under-the-table payments (bribes) from host cities and developers, lack of aggressive commitment to drug testing/enforcement, and heavy-handed dealings around trademark infringement, the IOC is not really the idealistic, international, and mutually cooperative organization it pretends to be.

Aaron O
08-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Ray Davies was definitely the high light. I'm biased as a Kinks fanatic.

I thought Always Look on the Bright Side of Life was a very odd choice for the Olympics and while I'm hardly a Mr. Manners, I don't think profanity at an event like this is ideal. I could have done without it to be honest.

The best thing I can say about it was that I didn't have to listen to Elton John.