PDA

View Full Version : Best. Cage. Ever.

GRAVELBIKE
08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
King Cage!

Hand-made in my (now) home state.

http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=1202

At one point I owned something like 8-9 of 'em. Never broken one or lost a bottle. Can't ask for more than that.

AngryScientist
08-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Yup, simple, elegant and effective. Can't ask for more. I'm going to pull the trigger on a set of those nifty tire levers soon, just because too.

David Kirk
08-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Ron makes the best cages money can buy. I can't imagine using anything else.

dave

slidey
08-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Never used King, never will either. When I was searching for cages for my race bike (I ruled out all fatty cages based on weight) and I chose the Arundel Mandibles ...and now, there's just no going back. If there's one cage that functions perfectly, looks great, and is really light...there's nothing that even comes close to the Mandibles. I have 6 of them on my bikes, and have never dropped a bottle ever.

teleguy57
08-12-2012, 04:56 PM
I want to love my King ti cages -- really. But I'm having a hard time staying at like, much less love.

The looks are great on my ti Hampsten, and the weight is right. The challenge is with 24oz Camelback Chill bottles -- even when I bend the cages tighter they on rougher stuff they tilt left or right of the tube on which they're mounted. On the seat tube bottle I sometimes will hit it with my leg while pedalling, they tilt that far.

Now, I haven't lost a bottle, but I do find myself reaching down to reposition them every once in a while.

Anyone else have this issue? I do want to [U]love[U] them!

malcolm
08-12-2012, 05:48 PM
I've never used the Ti, but have never had a problem with the stainless ones. Best cages by far in my opinion.

avalonracing
08-12-2012, 05:56 PM
I want to love my King ti cages -- really. But I'm having a hard time staying at like, much less love.

The looks are great on my ti Hampsten, and the weight is right. The challenge is with 24oz Camelback Chill bottles -- even when I bend the cages tighter they on rougher stuff they tilt left or right of the tube on which they're mounted. On the seat tube bottle I sometimes will hit it with my leg while pedalling, they tilt that far.

Now, I haven't lost a bottle, but I do find myself reaching down to reposition them every once in a while.

Anyone else have this issue? I do want to [U]love[U] them!

I like my King "Iris" cages a lot (I have 8) but I have noticed that some of them aren't exactly centered. I'm not going to try and bend them straight when they are attached to my braze ons though!

kohlboto
08-12-2012, 06:09 PM
I like my King "Iris" cages a lot (I have 8) but I have noticed that some of them aren't exactly centered. I'm not going to try and bend them straight when they are attached to my braze ons though!

Wouldn't that be the best time to do so?

teleguy57
08-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Cages are centered; my challenge is that the bottles slip slightly to the side. I'm wondering if the Podium large bottle is the issue, but I like them a lot for their valve and insulation and don't want to change them out....

Muttleyone
08-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Seems like a lot of people have issues with the "best" cage ever. I'll stick with Arundels.

Mutt

mike p
08-12-2012, 06:26 PM
"best cage ever" that would be Arundel Dave O's. Hands down the best! The only time I wouldn't use them is on an older style bike that didn't look right with carbon cages. In that case I'd go with arundel stainLess cages, a superior product.

Mike

avalonracing
08-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Wouldn't that be the best time to do so?

Not if you want to keep your braze on rivets IN the bike!

EricEstlund
08-12-2012, 07:04 PM
my challenge is that the bottles slip slightly to the side

King Iris
http://www.kingcage.com/assets/img/Cage3sm.jpg

bikinchris
08-12-2012, 07:07 PM
King stainless is what the OP is talking about. The stainless King cages don't mark bottles and that keeps everything cleaner. My large insulated bottles don't move a bit.

GRAVELBIKE
08-12-2012, 07:20 PM
CamelBak bottles tend to fit cockeyed in nearly any cage. If you look at the narrow "neck" portion, you'll see why.

And personally, I like that fact that King cages are made in the US by someone who has been in the industry for a very long time.

saab2000
08-12-2012, 07:31 PM
"best cage ever" that would be Arundel Dave O's. Hands down the best

this.

Rada
08-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Not rocket science here. It does it's job or it doesn't.

saab2000
08-12-2012, 07:46 PM
The best cycling equipment is the stuff I think about least while using it. The Kings have crossed my mind while using them. Once or twice. The Dave-Os never.

pdmtong
08-12-2012, 07:52 PM
The king cage bottle opener works nicely too. Ron gave me one after I bought quite a few cages from him at the show

FWIW I also noticed my IRIS cages arent quite centered but I decided to just let it go.

Uncle Jam's Army
08-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Having tried the Arundel Mandibles & Dave-O's, King Ti Cages, and Arundel Stainless Steels, I can say I am happy with all of them. Sure the Mandibles and Dave-O's grip bottles better, but they also mark them up more, too. They all do the job. Choose what you want. These are all good.

jlwdm
08-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Having tried the Arundel Mandibles & Dave-O's, King Ti Cages, and Arundel Stainless Steels, I can say I am happy with all of them. Sure the Mandibles and Dave-O's grip bottles better, but they also mark them up more, too. They all do the job. Choose what you want. These are all good.

Been using the Mandibles since they came out - never once marked a bottle.

Jeff

slidey
08-12-2012, 11:37 PM
I agree with you on the Mandibles, but I construed Uncle Army's comment as a reference to the price being marked up...which, I have to agree with.

Been using the Mandibles since they came out - never once marked a bottle.

Jeff

AgilisMerlin
08-13-2012, 07:16 AM
never used a king.

like these though

http://pbkmedia.probikekit.com/catalog/product/cache/6/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/0/101398.jpg

no idea what is best (4me)

oldpotatoe
08-13-2012, 07:31 AM
CamelBak bottles tend to fit cockeyed in nearly any cage. If you look at the narrow "neck" portion, you'll see why.

And personally, I like that fact that King cages are made in the US by someone who has been in the industry for a very long time.

Mee 2...have sold hundreds over the last 12 years and will continue to support this great guy and company......made in Durango!!

But it's a bottle cage, lotsa good ones out there.

ljklassen
08-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Are there any issues with the regular camelbak bottles - the bigger ones, but non-insulated? I use those exclusively now because I like the valve as well, and would like to try either the King ti cage (I'm a weight weenie) or the arundel, or mandible - never heard of the last 2, though.

victoryfactory
08-13-2012, 07:51 AM
I could never find a traditional wire cage that held my bottles well enough on
bumpy terrain. They always seem to fall out.

I've found that carbon and even cheap plastic ones from performance, Nashbar
and trek always work better.

VF

Dromen
08-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Yup, simple, elegant and effective. Can't ask for more. I'm going to pull the trigger on a set of those nifty tire levers soon, just because too.

Levers are fab. take up almost zero space and are bomb proof. If you need the slot to hook to spoke, these not for you.

+1 for King Cage, Iris and Elite Cuissi.

pakora
08-13-2012, 02:45 PM
I have stainless cages the same shape as the stainless Kings (I can't remember who the maker was though... an online special years ago).

I drop bottles not infrequently. All of my bottles are covered with black smudges from where the contact the cages. The claim on the package was the same - "Never drop a bottle again! Won't mark your bottles!"

Am I doin' it wrong? I do ride on bumpy and gravel roads quite a bit. The major difference I've noticed is aluminum cages wear out (and mark your bottles like a pencil :D) and break while these don't on any of my bikes.

crownjewelwl
08-13-2012, 02:48 PM

nick,
i am shocked you use levers. even i can get tires off with my hands (well regular clinchers anyway).

WL :fight: (i just started a fight with a mod!!)

AngryScientist
08-13-2012, 02:52 PM
nick,
i am shocked you use levers. even i can get tires off with my hands (well regular clinchers anyway).

let me tell you, those beautiful shamals you sold me....i mounted some vittoria open paves to them for my VT ride, and my hands were nearly bleeding. i was questioning if the tires were ever going to go on actually. brutal.

dekindy
08-13-2012, 02:55 PM

My stainless steel cages have done the same thing. Let us know how the bending and straightening goes.

crownjewelwl
08-13-2012, 02:56 PM
let me tell you, those beautiful shamals you sold me....i mounted some vittoria open paves to them for my VT ride, and my hands were nearly bleeding. i was questioning if the tires were ever going to go on actually. brutal.

seriously?? i thot it was just tubeless tires that were impossible!

benc
08-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Are there any issues with the regular camelbak bottles - the bigger ones, but non-insulated? I use those exclusively now because I like the valve as well, and would like to try either the King ti cage (I'm a weight weenie) or the arundel, or mandible - never heard of the last 2, though.

Nope. I use the same bottles and my king cages hold them perfectly.

Aaron O
08-13-2012, 04:08 PM
I haven't used the Arundels, so I can't really compare them. Of the cages I've used, the ti Kings are the best for functionality. They don't mark bottles, they hold them firmly and I don't think about them. The downside for me is cost and aesthetics. I don't like paying $50 for cages - it just strikes me as excessive. At the same time, I really like them and they are notably easier to use than my other cages. I don't really like their aesthetics for road bikes - they're a bit thick and bulky looking.

The Elite SS Ciussis look great for half the price, but I often have to fidget with them or because of them. I like using the Kings far more.

zennmotion
08-13-2012, 05:13 PM
I bought fake-o "moderniste" iris shaped-knockoff cages from Velo Orange not knowing they weren't the real deal from King. 2 cages, broken and repaired with heavy duty spoke sections stuck into the tubin and silver brazed to make them even stronger than original- still broke 4 times in a year, can't take dirt roads, narrow tires and big bottles. I just got King Iris- night and day better, I'm confident these will hold up just fine, heavier gauge steel, stiff and strong. Pretty too, and made (not just designed) here by a small business in CO. Me like a lot!

I ordered from the source, Ron himself, arrived in 3 days. No middle man, I like that. I got free shipping by adding a pair of Ti tire levers to the order of 2 cages- the levers are awesome! No more broken plastic from stiff tire beads, and super light. I think he makes these things from the same Ti tubing as the Ti cage- if that's the case then holy crap the Ti cage must be totally indestructable- overkill even.

jonnyBgood
08-13-2012, 06:03 PM
I have been using King cages for years as they don't loose there shape at all. I have NEVER had a bottle fall out of one of there cages ever.

I have had a few of them for over six years now and still stiff as ever. I currently have NINE of the cages mounted on all of my bikes plus....THREE more cages on my wife's two bikes.

I even have one of the Ti bracelets he made a few years back at InterBike. I think I have had it on for three plus years now....never take it off.

khjr
08-13-2012, 08:03 PM
I have been using King cages for years as they don't loose there shape at all. I have NEVER had a bottle fall out of one of there cages ever.

I've had mine for 15 years and have had about a half dozen occasions where a full bottle came free from the seat tube bottle cage while I was crossing railroad tracks. Good cages, but not perfect. Perhaps it has something to do with the bottles....

Bob Ross
08-14-2012, 08:19 AM
I ordered from the source, Ron himself, arrived in 3 days. No middle man, I like that.

I've never used a King Cage (and I have no opinion in this What's The Best Bottle Cage? pissing match -- but I'll have a lot to say if someone starts a What's The Worst Bottle Cage? thread) but just watching that video on Ron's homepage is enough to make me want to get a pair. I love guys who build cool functional stuff in their garages, and am happy to support them.

malcolm
08-14-2012, 09:45 AM
nick,

WL :fight: (i just started a fight with a mod!!)

+1 on shamals being hard to mount, but I've got a tri buddy that is about as mechanically inclined as a brain damaged monkey and he had me mount tires on his sram 80 wheels for an event he was doing. Most difficult mounting I've ever done, didn't use levers but hands were bleeding. I told him to bring them to the shop in the future

zennmotion
08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
+1 on shamals being hard to mount, but I've got a tri buddy that is about as mechanically inclined as a brain damaged monkey and he had me mount tires on his sram 80 wheels for an event he was doing. Most difficult mounting I've ever done, didn't use levers but hands were bleeding. I told him to bring them to the shop in the future

Endless bottle cage thread- yep, good time for a hijack. A good number of people I "rescue" on the MUT trail, seem to be tri-geeks with a bad combination of deep clincher rims, 20c tires, no spare tube, and no tire levers. They get a demonstration of my arrogant superiority, a free (pre-patched from the last catastrophe) tube, use of a full length frame pump (no actually, I do it myself, too painful to watch). I make a deal, if it takes me more than 3 minutes to change the tube and remount the wheel, it's free. Less than 3 minutes, they give me whatever they're eating- gels, powerbar, whatever. I have a halloween bag of energy food at home, never buy that crap.

Muttleyone
08-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Endless bottle cage thread- yep, good time for a hijack. A good number of people I "rescue" on the MUP, seem to be tri-geeks with a bad combination of deep clincher rims, 20c tires, no spare tube, and no tire levers. They get a demonstration of my arrogant superiority, a free (pre-patched from the last catastrophe) tube, use of a full length frame pump (no actually, I do it myself, too painful to watch). I make a deal, if it takes me more than 3 minutes to change the tube and remount the wheel, it's free. Less than 3 minutes, they give me whatever they're eating- gels, powerbar, whatever. I have a halloween bag of energy food at home, never buy that crap.

What an awesome idea. I hate to lump a group together but geesh, Tri-Geeks really irk me. They always have some pissy remark about my steel bike. I love that fact that you save their bacon and on top if it you get some free goodies. You sir are the man!

Mutt