PDA

View Full Version : Wipperman chain for Ultegra10

jharsha
09-26-2005, 08:50 PM
I need to replace the original chain on my CIII. Anyone used the Wipperman with connex link that they make for Shimano 10 speeds? Looks like this would make cleaning etc a lot easier. Thanks

cycleman_21
09-26-2005, 09:31 PM
I had the Wipperman on my Campy 10 when I brought it home, noisy, noisy chain. Swaped it out to a C-10 after 800 miles and I'll never go back; I'm just wondering if there's a quick link that would work with the campy chains, safely, I liked the easy off easy on for ease of cleaning like the Wipp. and Sram have. As far as Shimano goes I've only used the Sram chains and they work GREAT with the "Powerlink" or whatever it's called, for my mtn. bike.
Good luck

Ron C

david
09-26-2005, 10:19 PM
i also used a wipperman on a campy ten-speed drive train and found it to be very noisy. at the time, i was using pedros ice wax. i switched to pedros syn lube and the chain ran quiet.

the ice wax is recommended for dry weather, which is the weather i was riding in. the syn lube is for wet/muddy. for some reason, the wipperman worked better with the syn lube.

my campy chain was fine with the ice wax.

true story.

Argos
09-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Same story here. They can be noisy, so you need to lube them.

Now that Campy is slimming it's c-10 chain down to 5.9mm and the Shimano 10 (which is 5.88mm) has it's own connex link, you are seeing a standard that I believe SRAM will follow. That said, use whichever chain you like and just use the connex link.

I have a friend that uses Chris king Hubs on his Campy equipped bikes (10 of them) and runs Shimano cassettes and chains. It works flawlessly.

Orin
09-27-2005, 01:05 AM
I had the Wipperman on my Campy 10 when I brought it home, noisy, noisy chain. Swaped it out to a C-10 after 800 miles and I'll never go back; I'm just wondering if there's a quick link that would work with the campy chains, safely, I liked the easy off easy on for ease of cleaning like the Wipp. and Sram have. As far as Shimano goes I've only used the Sram chains and they work GREAT with the "Powerlink" or whatever it's called, for my mtn. bike.
Good luck

Ron C

Strange, the nickel plated Wipperman I put on my Campy 10 is really quiet now, though it did squeak quickly due to lack of lube from the factory. I'd stay away from the stainless Wippermans - too many stories of chains breaking out there.

I use the Wipperman 10 speed link on my Campy 10 chains and it works fine. An SRAM gold 9 speed link works too, but I got the occasional nasty clunk and the Wipperman links are so much easier to remove...

The Ultegra 10 system I have on my Cervelo Dual is really noisy in comparison to either the Wipperman or Campy chains on Campy cogs.

Orin.

The Spider
09-27-2005, 03:00 AM
is the Shimano specialized chain. Stainless steel. 6.05mm. I'm using the 10x1 and 10s1 at moment and think there great. Very durable and not a single breakage in 2 years and 9 months respectively

why can't you install a connex link into an Ultegra chain? (I just took mine off my old groupset whiuch I had been running for 9 months).

I also concur about Shimano cassette with Campagnolo groupset, it's working perfectly!

BarryG
09-27-2005, 05:34 AM
and the Shimano 10 (which is 5.88mm) has it's own connex link
Huh? They still use the plastic breakoff pin.

Argos
09-27-2005, 07:09 AM

I was not clear, I meant the Shimano chain & a Connex link. Not a Shimano-style connex link. That, unfortunately, does not exist.

bostondrunk
09-27-2005, 07:10 AM

Thats what I thought too?

bostondrunk
09-27-2005, 07:10 AM
i also used a wipperman on a campy ten-speed drive train and found it to be very noisy. at the time, i was using pedros ice wax. i switched to pedros syn lube and the chain ran quiet.

the ice wax is recommended for dry weather, which is the weather i was riding in. the syn lube is for wet/muddy. for some reason, the wipperman worked better with the syn lube.

my campy chain was fine with the ice wax.

true story.

Ice wax is well known for not lasting more than a half hour before the squeaking starts.

ClutchCargo
09-27-2005, 07:32 AM
mine has been -- at least the 9 speed nickel plated version (no 10 yet). I use the Pro Link lube (sparingly), and have experienced no noise. the connex link is a great feature; very simple job to remove the chain for cleaning (the chain and the bike).

I am a big fan of the Pro Link, btw. have always used it on the mtb, as it works great in all sorts of weather (hot/cold, dry/wet), but avoided it for road use because it seemed to messy. then determined that I was simply over-lubing. now - with a "little goes a long way" approach, I love it.

ride on!

Johnnyg
09-27-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm using the Wippermann 10s with DA and like it much more than the 10X1 which was made to work with Campy. Good luck JohnnyG

znfdl
09-27-2005, 11:25 AM
I second the stay away from the wipperman ss chains or even wipperman chains in general. I was breaking a wipperman chain every 800 miles. Switched to the campy chain and have used both the power link and connex connector with no problems.