PDA

View Full Version : Ventoux

maxn
08-12-2012, 02:12 AM
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46877757/ventoux1.JPG

Just got back from a family trip to Montbrun-les-Bains. It was a perfect mix of family things, climbing (rock climbing, that is) and cycling. My overall impression, having not been to that area for a while is one of shock at how many unbelievable roads there are to ride. I've said it before, but I think that the provencale Drome would be my choice for a place to live, if I ignored all the important stuff like for example a job, schools etc. It's just unbelievably good. Anyway, my wife and I were alternating climbing and cycling days for the week, and my objective was obvious from the get-go: Le Ventoux. So on Tuesday I went for it. An early start to avoid the 90 degree weather… stomach tied in a knot for some reason, but there are public restrooms *with toilet paper* in town. Those of you who have visited France will probably know the horror of discovering too late that there is no toilet paper. Anyway, I grabbed a gel from a local shop, sucked it down, then went for it. I think other people have described the climb much better than I could, but my quick impressions are that the first section is not bad at all. Everyone seemed to still be getting used to the idea that they had just embarked on such an iconic climb and were taking it easy. A bit later the road started getting twisty and pretty steep, but I managed to get into a pretty good rhythm until the Chalet Reynard. For me this was probably the most difficult part. Next, the moonscape section which, except for a few ramps towards the end was not physically harder than the middle section, but mentally quite difficult, as it seemed like switchbacks kept appearing between myself and the Stele. I passed the Simpson memorial, where people were paying their respects -- I didn't know it was so far up actually -- but was too focused on the top to stop… and then the top. I should mention that there was some wind at the top, but having read other peoples accounts, it seems that it was pretty mild for Ventoux in retrospect. It did not feel mild at the time however. The multidirectional nature of the switchbacks also insured that the wind was at my back for part of the time too, which was excellent. It's a great climb. Super difficult, but so memorable and beautiful at the top. And the descent? Just amazing, particularly through the middle section. I talked to velotel about this, and we had the same impression -- just disbelief at how good it is weaving through steep banked curves. I had to ease up a bit because there were so many people, and the visibility is reduced with the foliage (velotel tells me sight lines are a lot better in the Fall). I was also having so much fun that I forgot to record it! Video is below

http://youtu.be/4RAwcVlroBo?hd=1

Also, I rode it again, but from Sault yesterday. Way easier as expected from the elevation gain and profile, but still lots of fun. No question for me that the Bedoin side is the better of the two. I also got lost beforehand and ended up on a ridiculously steep headwall. Just what I wanted before riding Ventoux!

mike p
08-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the great report Maxn! I'm jealous! I have a written down list of all the climbs I'm going to do when I make it over there. Did you have your own bikes or rent?
To any iPad users....why won't certain movies download on this thing!

Mike

maxn
08-12-2012, 07:53 AM
I have my own bikes (I live here). As far as the iPad goes, I think it's because of the music -- some record labels ban playback of certain tracks/artists on mobile devices, so it won't play on iPhone/iPad etc. Not sure about Android as I don't have one of those.

mike p
08-12-2012, 08:17 AM
I guess I should have looked at the location! Now I really an jealous!!

Mike

( I live here )

djdj
08-12-2012, 12:40 PM
I rode up on July 4. A great ride!

maxn
08-12-2012, 02:37 PM
a few more photos
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46877757/IMG_4270.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/46877757/IMG_4271.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46877757/IMG_4324.jpg

Can't wait to see Dave's!!

572cv
08-12-2012, 03:16 PM
We've finally arranged a trip this year at the end of Sept into Oct. I had dearly wanted to go to the Drome provencale, but the group decision put us further south in the Luberon. But not too far from Mt. Ventoux, suddenly now within reach. I love the long views in the video. I'm thinking of starting in Sault and riding up to the summit directly, then down towards Bedoin, and back around to Sault on the south side. The total vertical on that loop (5900 ft on RWGPS) is about the same as Mt. Washington here in NH. Very nice.

Elefantino
08-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Best. Climb. Ever.

Period.

maxn
08-12-2012, 04:10 PM
We've finally arranged a trip this year at the end of Sept into Oct. I had dearly wanted to go to the Drome provencale, but the group decision put us further south in the Luberon. But not too far from Mt. Ventoux, suddenly now within reach. I love the long views in the video. I'm thinking of starting in Sault and riding up to the summit directly, then down towards Bedoin, and back around to Sault on the south side. The total vertical on that loop (5900 ft on RWGPS) is about the same as Mt. Washington here in NH. Very nice.

Which way would you go back to Sault from Bedoin? Gorges de la Nesque looks spectacular. I wanted to ride it but did not have enough time. that would be a killer loop.

choke
08-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Great pics and video....thanks. That looks like an awesome ride.

Fiertetimestwo
08-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Big thumbs up for the Gorge de la Nesque. I have ridden up twice and loved it both times. Spectacular views, and compared to Mont Ventoux, relatively easy gradient. Would be a mere bagatelle for Maxn, given his climbing form!

velotel
08-13-2012, 02:33 AM
Jeez Max, looks like you were burning by people on the way UP! Had to laugh watching the descent; I mean how many bikers were there on the road! I've only done Ventoux in the late fall, Bédoin side end of November when the road after Chalet R was closed, and have seen at most maybe 10-12 riders. Didn't see any during the climb from Bédoin during the climb and only 2 coming up when I was going down. Way fewer riders on the Malaucène side which for me is the more enjoyable climb. But only because it's rather unique in that the road follows a ridge for a long time so there are these terrific views off both sides while climbing plus dangling in front, way in front in fact, is the summit. Steeper pitches but less sustained than the Bédoin side.

That gorge is a terrific ride.

LouDeeter
08-13-2012, 05:35 AM
Great review. Regarding renting vs taking your own bike, you can get rentals in many of the towns at the base of the climb, such as Malaucene. My warning is the descent. Since you are on a rental bike, you really don't have the experience with that particular bike nor know the history of it to justify letting it rip to see how fast you can go coming off the mountain. As the discussion went when I rode in the Alps in 2009, "You won't kill yourself going up, but you can kill yourself coming down.". I guess Tommy Simpson may be the exception, but you get my point--take it easy on the descent if you are using a rental bike!

I believe I've posted about the British couple who own a bed & breakfast in the Alpe d'Huez area (www.kingofthemountains.co.uk). There is also a nice bed & breakfast in Malaucene that is run by a British couple. He offers 3-4 day Rhone Wine tours, which are very nicely done. Link: www.rhonewineholidays.com.

maxn
08-13-2012, 05:50 AM
sooo many peoples on bikes, it was hard not to pass. Normally I don't like crowds, but on Ventoux it was kind of cool. There is a definite camaraderie towards the top.

Malaucene sounds great! Maybe we can ride it together in the fall

I agree that you should have confidence in your gear for the descent. Very fast accelerations.

sjauch2
08-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Very cool, I was there on Wednesday. It was really amazing to ride this. Went up from Bedoin and down to Sault. The road surface coming up from Bedoin is definitely better then the Sault route. Was glad I was on 25's.

Here's my shot from the top.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8429/7745967874_e382f7af1f_z.jpg

ljklassen
08-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Great description! I was just there on July 30th, for the very first time. Spent 4 days around Alpe D'Huez prior, then a couple days in Bedoin. Awesome place, I also felt I could live there if not for the issues of family, job, etc.!

I planned ahead and actually did the "Club Des Singles" that day - all three ascents in one day. About to send in my paperwork today, actually. I agree, Bedoin approach was the best, but also the hardest. Descending for the last time in the evening, I hit 87.5km/h - a lot less people going up in the evening, so it was fairly clear on the road. The day was hot, though - mid-30's (C), so lots of fluids required. Did the whole ride with two friends, it's something I will never forget.

Any other Singles people on this forum?

velotel
08-13-2012, 08:02 AM
I planned ahead and actually did the "Club Des Singles" that day - all three ascents in one day.
Chapeau!!! I'm impressed. One a day is plenty for these old legs.

maxn
08-13-2012, 08:06 AM
All three sides in a side -- NICE! Some day I'd like to do the triple… but not in the summer :)

sjauch -- cool! I agree on that road … could def. be better.

572cv
08-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Which way would you go back to Sault from Bedoin? Gorges de la Nesque looks spectacular. I wanted to ride it but did not have enough time. that would be a killer loop.

Well, I had considered the Gorge de Nesque, but wasn't sure.... the posts about it make it seem most enticing! I'm up for it, thanks for the question.

ljklassen
08-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Thanks - it was a very long day, and hot, but sure felt great to do it. Ventoux is amazing, and the roads all around there are awesome.

Definitely liked it up closer to Alpe D'Huez as well, but it's definitely different country down by Ventoux. I could sure get used to that place.

buldogge
08-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Hey...That's your Meech! I saw Dimitri post that on his blog the other day...he built me my gravel bike last year BTW.

I like the Yammy inspired paint on yours...

-Mark in St. Louis

Very cool, I was there on Wednesday. It was really amazing to ride this. Went up from Bedoin and down to Sault. The road surface coming up from Bedoin is definitely better then the Sault route. Was glad I was on 25's.

Here's my shot from the top.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8429/7745967874_e382f7af1f_z.jpg