PDA

View Full Version : MTB 29er tires

beungood
08-11-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm running Schwalbe Rocket Ron tires on my FSR Stumpjumper and have decent luck with them with the exception of steeper climbs with roots or wet and cornering. The bike seems to fall over out of no where. Just won a pair of Kenda Nevegals on ebay for $10 a pair. How do these tires compare to each other? I usually ride more in late fall winter and early spring but have found a group that goes on Monday nights . Are the Neveglas more wet weather or mud tires and the Rocket's more of a race tire?

Jawn P
08-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Nevegals are good in deep mud, but are by far the slowest tire I've ever ridden.

I'd check out Schwalbe Nobby Nics - grippy but not total tractor tires. I've been pretty happy with the Bontrager 29-Mud also for a dedicated mudder.

xjoex
08-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Nevegals are great tires. I ride them on my FS Bike. the Slant six is a great compromise on weight and traction though too.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-zJy4N2Q6nJU/Th7sIqmfWgI/AAAAAAAADic/gONzDbv_jZM/s800/3-kendas-labeled.jpg

I also really like the Conti Mtn King, particularly good in mud and roots.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E4IZrys66lA/To0aTAC9UwI/AAAAAAAAEO8/BlnPKcLkJGM/s640/IMG_1754.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0KFHTCEXoh0/To0aQpR1wmI/AAAAAAAAEO4/DdjuZBFZBek/s912/IMG_1751.JPG

Have fun!
-Joe

SpeedyChix
08-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Nevegals are heavy, fair amount of rolling resistance, near bombproof though.
Summary: not a race tire.

For grip, rolling and weight compromise check out the Maxxis Ignitors.

dustyrider
08-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Don't have any experience with the rockets, but the Nevegals are a stable tire. They hold a line well, in wet and dry conditions, I just never liked them in the mud, they seemed to pack up and not shed, resulting in a slick tire, most likely due to the fact that you can't spin them up to speed quick enough. Also the mud around here is kind of mud that packs up very easy. The Nevegals are very slow, I always used a BlueGroove on the rear, which I don't think you can get in a 29er, but maybe you can use the Rocket on the rear as a compromise. The Nevegals were very predictable in regards to turning, you could always tell when they were about to wash out, and responded just quick enough to bring them back, most of the time.

I've tried the Nevegals from 2.35 folding bead, 2.5, folding and wire, and 2.7 wire bead. Each tire's sidewall failed before I was able to wear the tread down. So basically I'd be terrified of riding the 29er version of these in 2.2. But, I normally ride in sharp rocky terrain, so maybe roots and loamy trails won't cause as many issues. I switched to Maxxis ~4 years ago and haven't look back.

merckx
08-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Can anyone recommend a great 29er that sheds mud and snow well? I assume that if a tire works well at shedding mud, it will work well in snow too?

blantonator
08-12-2012, 10:58 PM
I really like the Maxxis Ikons. They hook up and corner like nothing else. Only downside is they aren't great in the mud.

sevencyclist
08-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Using Specialized Ground Control S-Works tire for the first time. Only using it up front so far. The profile is round. Has very low rolling resistance but bites well for turns, and runs very true to size.

I have been pretty impressed. Will try it for the rear when my Kenda SB8 is worn.

xjoex
08-13-2012, 02:37 PM
I think the Conti Mountain King worked well in the snow. I rode them in muddy east coast slimy muddy dirty snow on my rigid SS bike and they treated me well.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RwfULHSt6Tg/TxHrVLIVYJI/AAAAAAAAEyg/9aBpwscsQSE/s640/IMG_4125.JPG

-Joe

Mikej
08-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Have you tried to lower your pressure with your current tires? I run run Racing ralphs and find 22-25 psi (with tubes) work best on everything but mud. I dont like mud so I never ride in it. Rons are a pretty respectable tire, maybe you're psi is too high.

beungood
08-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Haven't run them under 30# front or back so far. LBS said 30# . I'll give them lower pressure a try..

Mikej
08-14-2012, 10:52 AM
I think if you lower them to 25 you may find a whole new tire experience, as long as your body mass is below 190.

DonH
08-14-2012, 11:42 AM
+1 for the Conti Mountain Kings.
I also have a set of S-works tires that have worked well, especially at 30 psi. They can be damaged easily in the rocks though.