PDA

View Full Version : New MTB need your thoughts, brothers (and sisters)

majorpat
08-11-2012, 06:53 PM
So I am looking at a new MTB, not really a technical rider, but I ride lots of fire roads and dirt roads in the Adirondacks. So, I want a relatively cheap rig that is sort of a jack of all trades.
Anybody have any experience with Surly Troll or Ogre? The first is a 26in and the latter a 29in. I guess my question is which one would you choose for basic dirt road, fire road riding with occasional singletrack? If I string together long dirt road rides with some pavement would the 29er be a better choice? Also, as a probable 16 or 18 inch size, are there any drawbacks to a smaller sized 29er?

Thanks for any insight!

Pat

Wilkinson4
08-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Gosh, based on what you are describing I would do neither. Why not something like

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya

mIKE

crownjewelwl
08-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Go 29er...simple answer

As for frame size if the 18 isn't too big I'd say go larger since you're riding mostly fire roads

gdw
08-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Are you looking for a bike or frame for touring or just general use? I ask because the Troll and Ogre are good choices for hauling gear but overbuilt for day rides on road and trail.

majorpat
08-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Probably only going to haul gear occasionally, what do you suggest?

blantonator
08-11-2012, 08:51 PM
I really like Niner bikes. What about the new SIR 9?

but it sounds like maybe a fargo would be up your alley

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo

gdw
08-11-2012, 08:57 PM
You can buy a Soma Groove, frame, for about $100 less than the Surleys. It's more versatile, about a pound lighter, has rack & fender braze-ons, and disc brake tabs (rear) and cantilever bosses.

http://store.somafab.com/mtbframes.html

If you want a steel 29er check out Soma, Salsa, Voodoo, or Vassago if they are back in business.

dustyrider
08-11-2012, 09:11 PM
I haven't spent any time on the ogre, but I've done a few spins on some rocky trails on the troll, and cruised around in town a bit. I thought it handled it's self very well. I think it's a great bike, in that is really versatile to purchase as a frame and build up with whatever you got. All surly bikes are a tad "overbuilt." Of course you can usually run them into the ground with very little worry, and they're reasonably priced, so "overbuilt" isn't really a negative.

I'd say you really want to decide where the bike will be ridden the most. If you're thinking more road, the Vaya or a CX style bike might in fact be a better choice. If you're thinking more trail you might go for the ogre/troll or even a Fargo if you can pick one up used, to keep the price reasonable.

I think you should really get some saddle time on a 29er before you decide, if you haven't already. I always recommend some saddle time on any new bike if possible. Whatever tire size you decide Kona also has some reasonably priced bikes, in both tire sizes.

I know people who love 9ers, and people who wanted to love them but just couldn't. I don't dislike 9ers I just feel like they have a specific place in the biking world. That being something like the Fargo, and I've a lot more saddle time on 9ers than most people. I wouldn't worry too much about the size of bike you're looking at in regards to the larger wheel, there are plenty of fans of 9ers on smaller frames.
Just be sure you fit the frame you're getting!

oldpotatoe
08-12-2012, 08:34 AM
So I am looking at a new MTB, not really a technical rider, but I ride lots of fire roads and dirt roads in the Adirondacks. So, I want a relatively cheap rig that is sort of a jack of all trades.
Anybody have any experience with Surly Troll or Ogre? The first is a 26in and the latter a 29in. I guess my question is which one would you choose for basic dirt road, fire road riding with occasional singletrack? If I string together long dirt road rides with some pavement would the 29er be a better choice? Also, as a probable 16 or 18 inch size, are there any drawbacks to a smaller sized 29er?

Thanks for any insight!

Pat

With front suspension, a smaller 29er may have a really tall front end and 'limited' standover.

BUT if the frame is an 18 or so, yes do 29er for your type of riding and yes do a hard tail.

I'd say go to a LBS and look at the trekspecializedgiant range..aluminum probably, decent fork and brakes(wet)...shouldn't cost a bundle.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/stumpjumper/stumpjumpercomp

Coming up on interbike so this is the end of the model season...Yep, I know it's only August but it how it goes.