PDA

View Full Version : Campy Centaur

vav
08-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Hello forum;

Having Shimano on all my bikes and being totally ignorant regarding Campy, I have a question about Centaur.

Is Centaur above 105 and below Ultegra?
Above Ultegra and below DA?
Similar to Ultegra?

Is it like comparing Apples to Oranges?

Also, are Shimano square taper BB compatible with Centaur square taper cranks?

Other thoughts?

I have a Serotta Fierte running single speed and I started toying with the idea of buying Centaur bits to build it up. I want to keep the silver thomson stem and seat post so Centaur alloy is what I want. Thanks in advance people...

The bike:

choke
08-11-2012, 12:49 PM
I think it really is apples to oranges.

Shimano cranks use a JIS taper and Campy cranks use an ISO taper. Though it is possible to mix the crank and BB it's not recommended. You'd likely need a different length BB anyway. http://sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

Another alternative for silver is Athena 11.

Nice bike. :beer:

soupless
08-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Centaur is very nice stuff. If you want it, buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Grant McLean
08-11-2012, 01:02 PM
I want to keep the silver thomson stem and seat post so Centaur alloy is what I want.

The current Centaur grouppo is black.

-g

Ken Robb
08-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Campy and Shimano BBs have different tapers but the last Shimano cranks that I remember that used square taper were pre-9 speed groups so your question may be moot. OTOH I have used TA Zephyr square taper cranks in 9 speed Shimano and 10 speed Chorus groups.

elmeister
08-11-2012, 03:20 PM
recently finished out a retro/mod build and used campy centaur (alloy w carbon crank) from a craigslist donor bike to finish the build... bike was well ridden but the centaur is solid.. very solid. broke everything down, gave a washing/lubing, and wrenched it back together...

having ridden some shimano 105 and many miles on sram rival i think is superior to each (ie in a tier above)... shifting feels quicker and snappier... very nice feel to the shifters and im able to quickly work the whole cassette better w this than the others...

nothing bad to say... glad to have a campy equipped bike and i can see future bikes being outfitted w it as well....

matt

4Rings6Stars
08-11-2012, 03:42 PM
You talking about picking up used stuff or new? If new I would vote 11s Athena. Used I would suggest 10s Centaur and above.

Dura Ace
Ultegra

10s era Campy:
Record
Chorus
Centaur/Daytona
Veloce

I would say its apples to oranges, but if I had to compare I would say veloce is more 105 level and centaur is a little nicer.

Elefantino
08-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Campy attracts the opposite sex.

Shimano attracts fish.

The rest is just details.

vav
08-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think I am going for Centaur in the used market. And the hunt begins. :)

junkfood
08-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I agree it is an apples to oranges comparison, they both ride great, just different. I guess you could compare them by weight.

Centaur would compare to Ultegra in that aspect. I think the all alloy groups would be a bit higher and the carbon groups are lighter. Athena is lighter than Ultegra also.

Veloce would be lighter than 105, I have a UT Mirage 10 speed group (not made anymore) that is lighter than 105 also. These are all manufacturers claimed weights, so I am not sure of the real world differences.

Here are a link to higher end group weights if that kind of thing interest you. http://totalcycling.com/component-weights.html

Jake

vav
08-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the link. Weight really is not a concern for me. I guess is just the bug to try Campy w/out breaking the bank.

beungood
08-11-2012, 10:00 PM
I think the Centaur is much higher than my one Ultegra set up. In fact I want to convert it over to Campy also..

Lewdvig
08-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I think the new Carbon Athena is what you want at 2200 grams it is pretty close to Dura Ace weight but 11 speed.

And it's $750 here:

http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/groupsets/groupsets_road/GR_ATHENA_MIX.html?currency=USD

That's a wicked deal IMO.

I'd buy one, but I have lots of 10 speed stuff left with tons of miles left in it.

10 speed campy hubs fit the 11 speed cassettes fine, so lots of cheap wheels out there. I have some handbuilt Campy wheels, but love the Fulcrum Racing 3 that I bought on clearance at my LBS.

monkeybanana86
08-11-2012, 10:49 PM
wow that athena deal with cranks is pretty darn good deal.

I have a mix of chorus and record parts on two bikes. recently got a centaur rear der. it's machined less and feels heavier in my hands (of course) and also when compared to sram force (just to throw in another company in the mix). but it works just the same in fact I can't tell the difference between it and the bike with the chorus rear der.

what i'm saying is since you don't mind the weight if you can score a good deal on the alloy centaur stuff it's good stuff. but plenty of folks are selling chorus and record stuff on here for a steal as well if you want more bling.

at the end of the day they all work great it's a matter of shape and weight i guess if you want to be picky.

bfd
08-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the link. Weight really is not a concern for me. I guess is just the bug to try Campy w/out breaking the bank.

what I find interesting is that some cases, centaur parts are lighter than chorus. Take a look at cranks, the centaur pt carbon crank is listed @644g; a chorus ut carbon crank is listed @667g! I don't know if ut is *better* than pt, but why pay more for a heavier crank? Good Luck!

jtakeda
08-12-2012, 04:16 AM
You can find centaur for cheap. Be patient and diligent with your local CL. I have a complete group sans brakes waiting for my next build and I got it all for under 400 including wheels.

Ralph
08-12-2012, 06:29 AM
There are plenty of new alloy Centaur cranks on E Bay. Square taper, UT, etc. 111 MM square taper BB are also plentiful.....Campy, Phil Wood, etc. I usually like latest tech in parts......but still prefer the mid 2000's square taper cranks over new UT and PT.

bfd
08-13-2012, 10:03 AM
There are plenty of new alloy Centaur cranks on E Bay. Square taper, UT, etc. 111 MM square taper BB are also plentiful.....Campy, Phil Wood, etc. I usually like latest tech in parts......but still prefer the mid 2000's square taper cranks over new UT and PT.

Haha, do a search for 2005/06 Centaur/Veloce compact cranks - rare and getting pricey. The Veloce cts are now in the $160-180 range!. For that money, you can actually get a Centaur/Veloce/Athena UT/PT crank from Velomine or one of the UK distributors for less:

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=86_294_295&page=1&sort=3a

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/Chainsets-Road/CHAR

Good Luck!

flydhest
08-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Centaur 10s is an amazing thing. My experience is that it works every bit as well as Chorus or Record, making the comparison with Shimano stuff hard. The difference from my experience is the weight, which doesn't much matter for me. I have raced Record, Chorus, and Centaur and they all performed in a race the way I would want them to. That is to say, quickly, immediately, and without worry.

fatallightning
08-13-2012, 01:19 PM
what I find interesting is that some cases, centaur parts are lighter than chorus. Take a look at cranks, the centaur pt carbon crank is listed @644g; a chorus ut carbon crank is listed @667g! I don't know if ut is *better* than pt, but why pay more for a heavier crank? Good Luck!

Most of the weight difference comes from the fact that PT cranks are weighed with only 1 bearing, since the NDS one rides in the cup. UT cranks are weighed with both DS and NDS bearings included. Add in cup weight from UT/PT to get closer to "system" weight.

bfd
08-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Most of the weight difference comes from the fact that PT cranks are weighed with only 1 bearing, since the NDS one rides in the cup. UT cranks are weighed with both DS and NDS bearings included. Add in cup weight from UT/PT to get closer to "system" weight.

Thanks for the clarification! When you factor in bb, the Centaur carbon PT crank (644g) and PT bb (75g) weigh a total 719g; the Chorus UT crank (667g) and UT bb (49g) weighs in at 716g - a whopping 3g savings! :eek::butt::p

Further, you can still find 2011 Centaur carbon PT cranks that sell in the $220-230 range; the Chorus a bit more....Good Luck!

d_douglas
08-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Centaur is great stuff - it's the best group dollar for dollar based on performance, in my opinion. OK, matched with Athena.

Go for it - it is stellar quality. Try for Campy hand built wheels as well.

vav
08-13-2012, 05:53 PM
The current Centaur grouppo is black.

-g

Yep. Keep noticing that black/carbon stuff is predominant. And Shimano's glossy gray is not far behind either. I'll patiently wait for silver bits.
Cheers and thanks everyone for your input.

Ralph
08-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Haha, do a search for 2005/06 Centaur/Veloce compact cranks - rare and getting pricey. The Veloce cts are now in the $160-180 range!. For that money, you can actually get a Centaur/Veloce/Athena UT/PT crank from Velomine or one of the UK distributors for less:

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=86_294_295&page=1&sort=3a

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/Chainsets-Road/CHAR

Good Luck!

One example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMPAGNOLO-CENTAUR-Square-Taper-Crankset-170mm-39-52t-Road-Bike-Alloy-NIB-/390446307614?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae869d91e

vav
08-13-2012, 06:58 PM
^ Without going that far:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=114149

And since we are here, what's the difference between UT/PT?

dbh
08-13-2012, 07:33 PM
It all shifts good. IMO, alloy Centaur with ultra shift is as good as it gets. Gorgeous, ability to dump multiple gears, and very comfy ergos.

beeatnik
08-13-2012, 08:12 PM
it all shifts good. Imo, alloy centaur with ultra shift is as good as it gets. Gorgeous, ability to dump multiple gears, and very comfy ergos.

+1

monkeybanana86
08-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Centaur 10s is an amazing thing. My experience is that it works every bit as well as Chorus or Record, making the comparison with Shimano stuff hard. The difference from my experience is the weight, which doesn't much matter for me. I have raced Record, Chorus, and Centaur and they all performed in a race the way I would want them to. That is to say, quickly, immediately, and without worry.

you basically just said what i was trying to say in like half the words. man, sixteen years of english and i'm still trying to be articulate

flydhest
08-14-2012, 08:01 AM
you basically just said what i was trying to say in like half the words. man, sixteen years of english and i'm still trying to be articulate

I have made this letter longer than usual, only because I have not had the time to make it shorter.
Blaise Pascal

Just teasing. I am very sympathetic. I am raising my daughter in French, my second language, and I feel the struggle daily.

brando
08-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Centaur is very bombproof. I've got Daytona (Centaur's first name, dropped after a lawsuit) on my daily driver and it just keeps going. Shifts are silky at this point, much more so than my newer chorus 11. The brake calipers are every bit as nice as record, as are the shifters/ergo hoods as others noted.

monkeybanana86
08-14-2012, 10:24 PM
I have made this letter longer than usual, only because I have not had the time to make it shorter.
Blaise Pascal

Just teasing. I am very sympathetic. I am raising my daughter in French, my second language, and I feel the struggle daily.

I'm doing the opposite. French was my childhood language before english but now I'm forgetting it! I listen daily to RFI.fr (l'edition en français facile) to hang on to whatever I can.

back to the OP: someone mentioned square taper. I have both hollowtech and square for between my bikes. the square bb is smoooth but more flexi if that matters.