PDA

View Full Version : 130mm rear disc

krhea
08-10-2012, 05:29 PM
I did and have done quite a bit of searching for this item and cannot find anything...130mm disc hub. Anyone have any idea of there is such a beast? I think I've searched all brands but who knows, there may be something I missed. I'm looking to switch our tandem from caliper rear to disc and the spacing is 130...even though the frame was built with disc tabs.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
KRhea

echelon_john
08-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Velocity makes one.

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=570

dustyrider
08-10-2012, 05:36 PM
White Industries does too!

MI6 CX

54ny77
08-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Maybe this will work for you: road tandem hubs.

Absent that idea, I happen to use a Deore XT 130mm mountain rear disc hub on my tandem wheel. Don't have a disc on it, but the hub (and frame) are ready for one should the need arise.

krhea
08-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks everyone.

KRhea

pdmtong
08-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Maybe this will work for you: road tandem hubs.

Absent that idea, I happen to use a Deore XT 130mm mountain rear disc hub on my tandem wheel. Don't have a disc on it, but the hub (and frame) are ready for one should the need arise.

really? you have the option to put a disc on a tandem and are not pursuing?

IMHO discs are the best thing to ever happen to a tandem

A1CKot
08-11-2012, 03:09 AM
You can use a DT Swiss hub and buy the a non-drive side end cap to convert it from 135 to 130. I had this set up so I could run a Campy disc cross bike.

Chance
08-11-2012, 06:09 AM
I did and have done quite a bit of searching for this item and cannot find anything...130mm disc hub. Anyone have any idea of there is such a beast? I think I've searched all brands but who knows, there may be something I missed. I'm looking to switch our tandem from caliper rear to disc and the spacing is 130...even though the frame was built with disc tabs.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
KRhea

My only suggestion is to double check the 130 mm spacing on a tandem. Have never seen a modern tandem built with less than 135 spacing. Even that is somewhat rare. Not to say 130 is not right, just wondering who makes a tandem with 130 mm spacing?:confused:

Chance
08-11-2012, 06:17 AM

There was a discussion about this months back (or longer) on paceline. Disc are great for wet conditions no doubt. But since tandems can use a lot of rear brake unlike a single, they can stop pretty well with rim brakes as long as the team is not unusually heavy or loaded down.

The thread discussed how various tandems were tested on a long descend in Europe (can't recall) but many with disc overheated as much or more than the rim brakes. Only the super large disc did great. And such a large disc should be checked out to make sure it doesn't hit the chainstay on such narrow spacing.

zap
08-11-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm looking to switch our tandem from caliper rear to disc and the spacing is 130...even though the frame was built with disc tabs.

What tandem?

krhea
08-11-2012, 05:56 PM
My only suggestion is to double check the 130 mm spacing on a tandem. Have never seen a modern tandem built with less than 135 spacing. Even that is somewhat rare. Not to say 130 is not right, just wondering who makes a tandem with 130 mm spacing?:confused:

It is a 130, please don't be confused. Lots of our tandem riding friends who use caliper brakes ride 130mm rear ends. It allows them to use "regular" road wheels which they already have hanging around.

We've never had a problem nor a need for a disc and really still don't, however, we(my wife and I) crashed big time a few months ago. We had an immediate front tire explosion on a fast downhill, 35+mph. We ran through a bunch of very tiny roofing nails of some sort and the tire just exploded. I held the bike up for over two blocks trying to slow down and assure my wife we'd be OK. Obviously just a rear caliper at 35+mph on a tandem doesn't do the job. Tire came off the rim, wrapped around the fork and threw us into a foot high curb which catapulted us into the air and the rest is not or was not pretty.
I've owned and ridden tandems for 20+yrs and have never felt the need for drum or disc. Our current bike has Mavic calipers and they work amazingly well...until all you have to stop you is the rear.
I'd go with just the calipers again but my wife says she'd feel more confident with a rear disc. We love to ride the twofer and if that's what'll make her feel more secure then so be it. She also took the worst of the crash.

The frame was a custom...Paul Taylor, right when his behavior "changed" let's say. Build had a number of challenges let's say and yes, including delivery.

Anyway, it has a 130 rear and it's a steel frame with carbon seat stay frame so spreading the rear is not an option.

Appreciate the responses.

54ny77
08-11-2012, 08:18 PM
pdmtong--don't have bay area-like descents 'round these parts. flat to rolling at most, calipers are fine.

i had builder put the mounts on in rear just in case would need in the future. it is a nice touch.

Chance
08-11-2012, 09:47 PM
It is a 130, please don't be confused. Lots of our tandem riding friends who use caliper brakes ride 130mm rear ends. It allows them to use "regular" road wheels which they already have hanging around.

We've never had a problem nor a need for a disc and really still don't, however, we(my wife and I) crashed big time a few months ago. We had an immediate front tire explosion on a fast downhill, 35+mph. We ran through a bunch of very tiny roofing nails of some sort and the tire just exploded. I held the bike up for over two blocks trying to slow down and assure my wife we'd be OK. Obviously just a rear caliper at 35+mph on a tandem doesn't do the job. Tire came off the rim, wrapped around the fork and threw us into a foot high curb which catapulted us into the air and the rest is not or was not pretty.
I've owned and ridden tandems for 20+yrs and have never felt the need for drum or disc. Our current bike has Mavic calipers and they work amazingly well...until all you have to stop you is the rear.
I'd go with just the calipers again but my wife says she'd feel more confident with a rear disc. We love to ride the twofer and if that's what'll make her feel more secure then so be it. She also took the worst of the crash.

The frame was a custom...Paul Taylor, right when his behavior "changed" let's say. Build had a number of challenges let's say and yes, including delivery.

Anyway, it has a 130 rear and it's a steel frame with carbon seat stay frame so spreading the rear is not an option.

Appreciate the responses.

Sorry about your accident and hope your wife is OK. Best part sounds like she is willing to keep riding with only a disc being added. That's a small price if it means she will ride again and or enjoy the experience without being nervous about a similar situation.

Learned something new here. Did not know that anyone was building modern tandems with 130 mm spacing so they could use same regular wheels from other bikes. My friends who ride tandems usually go with heavy duty wheels that are tandem specific due to added weight. Wider axle spacing is usually part of that build.

Good luck and let us know which disc you go with and how it works out.

54ny77
08-11-2012, 11:27 PM
mine! i spec'd it that way. builder has built a lot of 'em as well and recommended it.

shimano mtn hubs or even dt swiss 130 mtn hubs are nice, & very strong.

KidWok
08-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Phil Wood makes 130 mm spaced hubs on a seasonal basis...or at least they used to. I recall that they made them in 40h when I was inquiring about them, but I ended up cold setting my frame out to 135 instead.

Tai

pdmtong
08-12-2012, 12:03 AM
pdmtong--don't have bay area-like descents 'round these parts. flat to rolling at most, calipers are fine.

i had builder put the mounts on in rear just in case would need in the future. it is a nice touch.

flat to rolling...yea, keep the v-brakes. got it!

my experience is a bit different.

mtb tandem.

started with pedersen self energizing on a fuly rigid bike, then XTR v-brakes, folloowd by BB7 on full-susp tandem #1, now six piston 203/185 on full-susp tandem #2

very confidence inspiring when I know I can stop the beast with one finger in the middle of bombing a big rock garden. discs are the final word for our purposes.

pdmtong
08-12-2012, 12:07 AM
kevin, that is every captains nightmare. me, I am terrified I will wash our front end out there we go, off the trail and down the ravine. glad you and your wife are still both enthused about riding. a bad crash like that has caused some folks we know to completely give up riding.

54ny77
08-12-2012, 02:14 AM
holy smokes we wouldn't come close to anything like that. that takes some serious cajones to mtb on a tandem!

for us newbies it's simple rolling or even flat on our road tandem. ultegra calipers stop just dandy.

flat to rolling...yea, keep the v-brakes. got it!

my experience is a bit different.

mtb tandem.

started with pedersen self energizing on a fuly rigid bike, then XTR v-brakes, folloowd by BB7 on full-susp tandem #1, now six piston 203/185 on full-susp tandem #2

very confidence inspiring when I know I can stop the beast with one finger in the middle of bombing a big rock garden. discs are the final word for our purposes.

Chance
08-12-2012, 07:57 AM
mine! i spec'd it that way. builder has built a lot of 'em as well and recommended it.

shimano mtn hubs or even dt swiss 130 mtn hubs are nice, & very strong.

Which builder? And did he mention why he recommends 130 mm spacing? All major tandem builders seem to go with much more rear wheel spacing so it's curious why some think 130 is the better choice. Some riders seem to feel that 130 doesn't offer a lot of wheel dish even for a single bike.

54ny77
08-12-2012, 09:19 AM
it's been awhile and i forget why we arrived at 130, to be honest. i do recall that he's built a lot like that and recommended it for our intended use.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/IMG_4275.jpg

Which builder? And did he mention why he recommends 130 mm spacing? All major tandem builders seem to go with much more rear wheel spacing so it's curious why some think 130 is the better choice. Some riders seem to feel that 130 doesn't offer a lot of wheel dish even for a single bike.

Chance
08-12-2012, 12:15 PM
it's been awhile and i forget why we arrived at 130, to be honest. i do recall that he's built a lot like that and recommended it for our intended use.

Nice bike, thanks. Can't tell from picture what material that is. Aluminum or steel?

Don't know much about open frames like yours (whatever they are called) but seems to give a lot more room for bottles and other general access. The option that would interest me most in a custom tandem that would be different is a dedicated stoker steerer off the top tube so the rear bars wouldn't have to be attached to the captain's seat post. Have seen a few like that and like the function although they look a little odd. Don't know all the down sides to either of these rare design options but would be willing to try one if buying a tandem. Thanks again.