PDA

View Full Version : front DA 7800 shifter LOUD shift to low chainring?

illdthedj
08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
hey guys...
have done a bit of cursory search about this but havn't really found anything, and you guys seem to be a wealth of knowledge...

anywho...

so i have my first ever titanium frameset im building up, a Litespeed Tuscany, with a DA 7800 groupset. (so excited to ride it!!)

soooo ive installed everything, brakes are awesome, rear is shifting beautifully, etc.....front derailleur is shifting up to big ring cleanly...

BUT i notice when shifting from the large chainring back down to the low one, the left shifter makes a loud CLUNK...it shifts totally fine, but the loud CLUNK is sort of bothersome, as if ive done something wrong maybe...

any ideas?

actually, to be precise, its more like a double noise....
so im in the large chainring, then when i actuate the left lever theres first a CLACK when half way actuated, then when i push farther then the CLUNK and it shifts downwards.

i will say somehow i got the cable bolted in with really tight tension, without using the barrel adjusters....

ill probably just keep fiddling with it, but i thought i would see what some of you thought. thanks in advance!

regularguy412
08-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Ermm.. just a guess -- the first 'small' click on the left downshift is likely the trim feature. This very small movement allows the front der to move a very small amount to help prevent chain rub when in the inner most (larger) cogs in the back. The bigger clunk is the main shift from big to small ring.

Mine goes 'click' lightly then a larger more substantial click when making the full shift down.

Mike in AR :beer:

eddief
08-10-2012, 04:09 PM
try one bigger push and that will allow you to move through the trim stop fast and relatively smoothly.

illdthedj
08-10-2012, 04:17 PM
ah so that is what the first click is. useful.

BUUUUT i guess what i am getting at....is it supposed to be that LOUD?
because theres no/little sound shifting up in the front, and quiet little clicks shifting in rear....but shifting down in front results in a much louder CLACK (trim stop) then CLUNK...

i futzed with it at lunch break, currently at work...but one thing i might try is letting off some of the cable tension. i didn't think i was pulling that hard when i screwed in the cable bolt, but even without adjusting the cable tension barrel the cable tension is super tight. maybe thats it? maybe my super tight tension, perhaps over tension, is making the downshift louder or something?

honestly i have no way to compare/contrast my left shifter to somebody elses...maybe its just loud and i should get used to it. i dunno

eddief
08-10-2012, 04:35 PM
when in small chain ring, cable should have sort of a tiny bit of slack rather than being drum tight.

ah so that is what the first click is. useful.

BUUUUT i guess what i am getting at....is it supposed to be that LOUD?
because theres no/little sound shifting up in the front, and quiet little clicks shifting in rear....but shifting down in front results in a much louder CLACK (trim stop) then CLUNK...

i futzed with it at lunch break, currently at work...but one thing i might try is letting off some of the cable tension. i didn't think i was pulling that hard when i screwed in the cable bolt, but even without adjusting the cable tension barrel the cable tension is super tight. maybe thats it? maybe my super tight tension, perhaps over tension, is making the downshift louder or something?

honestly i have no way to compare/contrast my left shifter to somebody elses...maybe its just loud and i should get used to it. i dunno

monkeybanana86
08-10-2012, 07:18 PM
when in small chain ring, cable should have sort of a tiny bit of slack rather than being drum tight.

this would be my guess too. I had the same problem with my Sram set up so I compared it with a friends bike and mine was significantly lounder (CLUUUNCK). Give the cable some slack and redo the high tension screw :)

dave thompson
08-10-2012, 07:53 PM
I agree with the above. If cable tension is too tight, front shifting from big to small rings makes a loud noise.

oldpotatoe
08-11-2012, 08:48 AM
hey guys...
have done a bit of cursory search about this but havn't really found anything, and you guys seem to be a wealth of knowledge...

anywho...

so i have my first ever titanium frameset im building up, a Litespeed Tuscany, with a DA 7800 groupset. (so excited to ride it!!)

soooo ive installed everything, brakes are awesome, rear is shifting beautifully, etc.....front derailleur is shifting up to big ring cleanly...

BUT i notice when shifting from the large chainring back down to the low one, the left shifter makes a loud CLUNK...it shifts totally fine, but the loud CLUNK is sort of bothersome, as if ive done something wrong maybe...

any ideas?

actually, to be precise, its more like a double noise....
so im in the large chainring, then when i actuate the left lever theres first a CLACK when half way actuated, then when i push farther then the CLUNK and it shifts downwards.

i will say somehow i got the cable bolted in with really tight tension, without using the barrel adjusters....

ill probably just keep fiddling with it, but i thought i would see what some of you thought. thanks in advance!

FD hitting the frame when it shifts to small ring?

It IS just releasing the cable tension, letting the FD spring return it to the small ring position...

AgilisMerlin
08-11-2012, 09:29 AM
from past experience,

if the outer limit screw is set to tight for the jump up to large, then

it puts a lot of pressure on the final click position, hence

it puts a lot of pressure on initial click when descending.

rule of thumb, just for me, is when shifting from sm/big i leave a little overshift, without throwing the chain.

^above probably only makes sense to moi. apologies ahead of time