PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Surly?

saab2000
02-23-2004, 10:27 AM
I have posted about this in the past, but I forget the answers. I have left sunny Florida and I do not know when I will go back to Switzerland. In the meantime, in the Midwest the roads are sloppy but soon will be ridable.

I have a mix of parts which need a frame and I am seriosly thinking of getting a Surly Pacer. This bike would appear to be the ideal sloppy weather bike. I have an old DA crank and BB and the old DA brakes. I have a set of wheels which should also be good for this application. Additionally, I can cannabalize another bike for a handful of other things so I won't need to invest too much.

It comes with eyelets and supposedly has enough clearance to accept wide tires and fenders with standard brakes. I imagine that brake pads will be at the end of the adjustment slot. This is alright.

The frame/fork retails for about $390 which is really cheap compared with anything else which even comes close to this type of bike. Even a Gunnar is about twice as much.

I don't feel guilty asking this here as Serotta really does not offer such a bike, and even if they did I would feel bad about riding it in the sloppy, salty weather. With a Surly I will not feel too bad about it.

One more thing, I am thinking of using a Shimano 9-speed cassette. I may well use bar-end shifters or down-tube. Probably not STI. I have a Campagnolo Record 9-speed rear der. Will it work? I bet it will work at least tolerably well, but I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried such a thing.

Thanks for the tips and comments!

Smiley
02-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Surly's can be had on ebay but as complete bikes and not cheap, try buying a old beater bike and tinkering with that idea off ebay . I am .

Adam
02-23-2004, 10:38 AM
I use a Pacer for my commuter/chore bike. It isn't anything to rave about, but does everything I need it to well...I use 700x28 tires (largest that will still fit under fenders) and I feel confident rolling through the muck and construction of Chicago's streets. I ride on the 50cm size and need to use 3 cm of spacers and a salsa 115 deg. 100 stem to get me up to where I ride my ColoIII (I have since dramatically altered the configuration of the bike since the photo was taken). So bear in mind HT length when you order yours. I love that the frame, fork, and my stem are all Cro-mo as I am not gentle with this bike. All in all, as a second bike, the Pacer is a great value.

Adam

Dude
02-23-2004, 11:36 AM
I have mentioned these guys before, mainly because I am really curious about them. But also look at a Kogswell bikes(www.kogswell.com) they are lugged steel frames w/ clearance for big tires/fenders, steel fork and run pretty cheap. Hope that helps.

Peter
02-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Now THAT is one slick lookin' bike! To see such an inexpensive frame dressed out in full road gear is like a Cinderella story!

I'm truly impressed; there's NOTHING to be ashamed about with that bike, Adam!

Roy E. Munson
02-23-2004, 06:06 PM
That's your commuter/chore bike? Lock that thing on in most large cities and you'll be a pedestrian in no time when your bike gets raped!

stackie
02-23-2004, 08:02 PM
SOMA also makes some pretty reasonably priced frames in a good range of sizes. You might consider them as well if you're looking for a geometry that Surly doesn't offer.

Try momovelo.com for a link to their site and prices.

Jon

woolly
02-23-2004, 08:11 PM
I think a Pacer would be a fine choice. If I didn't already have a Serotta Colorado II for a backup-backup bike, I'd probably be looking for a Pacer myself.

For even further versatility, you might want to consider a CrossCheck. I've got one of the earlier models (blue paint, 1" threaded fork, Reynolds 631 tubing), and really like it. I've set it up as a fixed-gear, a single-speed, and as both a cyclocross and road/touring geared bike. With the Crosscheck, you can fit some BIG tires if you so choose. It rides nice, is extremely durable, and is without question a great value (as is the Pacer, IMHO). The one thing it is not is lightweight. Unless you're trying to race cyclocross, I doubt that the small amount of extra weight would really matter much - I know it hasn't for me. All-in-all it's a fun bike that provides a nice contrast to my other true road bikes. You can see a picture of it set up in fixed-gear trim here: http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2004/crow.htm (it's below the Bianchi)

With that said, I also agree with Smiley that finding an old frame and building a project/beater bike can be great fun too.

Hard to go wrong here, as long as you're sticking with something that fits reasonably well.

As always, YMMV. Have fun!

- Chris

pale scotsman
02-23-2004, 08:39 PM
Why not a cross check? I've been riding this over the winter and it's served quite well. I usually ride 700 x 28 gatorskins but in the picture they are 700 x 23 GP 3000's. It's a smooth, stable bike though truthfully it's kind of heavy. Where it shines is rough roads and around here there are plenty............

saab2000
02-24-2004, 06:19 AM
....a CrossCheck frameset. But it seems as though the Pacer will suit me a bit better. It claims to be more of a road bike which accepts fenders and that is what I am looking for.

But the Cross Check does have some appeal and it is the initial Surly I looked at. One thing I want to do is build a set of wheels with Shimano XT hubs as they are relatively inexpensive and seem to be the best hubs for grimy winter duty. The CrossCheck will accept these hubs where the Pacer will require a bit of effort to squeeze the 135 mm hubs into a 130 mm frame.

Well, I might still get a Crosscheck. I like the fact that it takes cantiliver brakes.

shinomaster
02-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Saab,

I see a ton of Surly bikes here in portland and they are slow and heavy. I'd get a nice NOS frame on e-bay for the same price. YOu can get a lot more for $390. than a surly.