PDA

View Full Version : Do you wave them past???

OtayBW
08-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Drivers, that is....

Had a discussion about this recently. Any comments on the merits and disadvantages?

jvp
08-09-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't. I have, however, occasionally slowed to a stop on the far right to "force" a timid driver to pass.

one60
08-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Most of my riding is in urban/suburban Seattle, often with a small group. When a car has been waiting to pass patiently we always acknowledge their efforts with a thank-you wave.

When we see a clear & safe opportunity to pass, we wave them around as well. Its good for the sport to be seen as thoughtful. 'Don't be that guy' is our mantra.

CaptStash
08-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Most of my riding is in urban/suburban Seattle, often with a small group. When a car has been waiting to pass patiently we always acknowledge their efforts with a thank-you wave.

When we see a clear & safe opportunity to pass, we wave them around as well. Its good for the sport to be seen as thoughtful. 'Don't be that guy' is our mantra.

+1

Us Seattleites think alike!

CaptStash....

gdw
08-09-2012, 01:17 PM
"When we see a clear & safe opportunity to pass, we wave them around as well. Its good for the sport to be seen as thoughtful. 'Don't be that guy' is our mantra."

+1 Especially in the mountains. It's just common courtesy to wave cars past when it's safe since the average cyclist can't ride or climb at a speed close to that of a car and is moving well below the speed limit.

572cv
08-09-2012, 01:24 PM
We wave them past, with a thanks if they have been patient.

.....but I always have Charles Addams in the back of my mind:

thashicray
08-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Our small group does the same. We definitely wave a hand to signal "thank you"...thank you for not running us over :)

rugbysecondrow
08-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Sure, why not. I even wave at people in the intersection who were patient enough to let me ride through. I ride where I live, so why not be friendly to my neighbors and folks in the community?

palincss
08-09-2012, 03:43 PM
I don't. I have, however, occasionally slowed to a stop on the far right to "force" a timid driver to pass.

I've done that on occasion, too. Once, on Bike Virginia on a chipseal back road in the mountains somewhere, with around 10 cars and 200 cyclists behind, the driver still wouldn't pass -- until I asked him if he "needed a special invitation."

slidey
08-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I find waving to a driver as hindering with the driver's judgment of the road situation. I do a bit of riding on single laned, twisty hilly roads, and I've once waved a car ahead of me, but in the amount of time it took for the driver to understand my signal (I was tired from the climbing, and so I wasn't very comfortable waving, etc), and overtake me, he came up on an oncoming car barreling down. So I find it safer to keep my hands on the handlebars, stick to a side of the road, and let every car passing me have a fair chance to judge the situation independently.

Ray
08-09-2012, 03:54 PM
"When appropriate" is the key phrase. I do, but I have to be pretty damn sure its safe and clear before I do. If I have ANY doubt at all, I let them make the call. And if they seem like they're starting to get antsy and its NOT safe, I'll hold them back with a hand signal too. Then wave 'em by when its safe. Lots of winding roads with limited sight distance around here, so you really have to work with the drivers and the vast majority of them seem to appreciate it...

-Ray

CaliFly
08-09-2012, 04:21 PM
I usually keep to myself, but stay aware. Then I wave by those drivers who cannot apparently think for themselves.

I will also throw up a cheerful wave to drivers who were patient then passed with a wide (read: "I know I only need to give you three feet, but here's an extra five.") cushion.

Gummee
08-09-2012, 04:53 PM
All the time. Riding in the foothills and twisty roads like I do, I can see long before the driver behind me can.

Also motion em to stop. That one isn't heeded as much.

Make sure to wave 'thanks' as they're passing.

M

bikinchris
08-09-2012, 06:38 PM
As far as getting them to pass, just stop pedalling for a moment. They WILL pass 9 times out of 10.

As far as waving them on to pass, I am fully aware of my increased liability if I wave them through. I do it when I see clearly that the road ahead is clear for a long time, but they can't see.

martinrjensen
08-09-2012, 08:06 PM
+2 on Seattleites. I do frequently. I will sit at a light on the right edge of the left lane (when the right hand lane is for turning only) and often timid drivers will hang back. I turn around and let them know it's OK to pass me and turn. Most, but not all do. I ususally look back first to see if any of those people have their turn signal on also. If they do, I waive them by. If no turn signal, I assume they are going straight (where legal) and don't get out of the way if I'm going straight too.
I was going to say rarely, but I never have actually had an issue about this.+1

Us Seattleites think alike!

CaptStash....

Earl Gray
08-09-2012, 09:34 PM
In my youth ( and in a car) I caused a accident by waving some one through an intersection.

I will never do it again. My preference is to not even yell clear when riding through an intersection with a group of riders.

rickbb
08-10-2012, 05:56 AM
Always, when appropriate.
Without that, some drivers would follow for miles on our narrow, twisty seaside roads.

Bob Loblaw
08-10-2012, 06:08 AM
Yep. I let them know when it's safe to pass, and I also motion for them to slow down when it's not safe to pass. It helps the effectiveness of the latter if you take the lane.

BL

OtayBW
08-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Yep. I let them know when it's safe to pass, and I also motion for them to slow down when it's not safe to pass. It helps the effectiveness of the latter if you take the lane.

BL
This is key as well. The only time that it's even necessary to waive someone on, IMO, is when it's not entirely clear to the driver behind you - and that essentially means that it's somewhat of a judgement call. I've been bitten here on occasion. But it's at least as important to hold 'em back when necessary as it is to waive them on, whether you're just using a hand signal, or taking the lane....

Fixed
08-10-2012, 06:32 AM
Sadly ,I don't drive ...or ride :eek:

But a miss of an inch is as good as a mile when no damage is done IMHO
Cheers

OtayBW
08-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Sadly ,I don't drive ...or ride :eek:

But a miss of an inch is as good as a mile when no damage is done IMHO
Cheers
Except for having to spend time doing the laundry afterward....:cool: