PDA

View Full Version : Bikes you sell for one reason or another...and then you miss

Wayne77
08-09-2012, 11:28 AM
I can't say I fully regret selling this yet (because I really, really love it's replacement), but I wish I could have kept it in addition to the new bike.

6 years of fond memories and many many happy miles:

First build:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16037&highlight=Concours

How it looked just prior to the sale:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=99618&highlight=Concours

I've admittedly been dissapointed with Serotta developments over the last few years (regardless, this thread is not about that), but this frame was pure magic. Someday, when I can afford it, I'll get another ti build...just because.

Would love to hear about bikes/frames any of you have sold, but your heart wishes you hadn't....

Bruce K
08-09-2012, 12:41 PM
This is kind of why I haven't sold my Ottrott yet.

I doesn't get ridden but It was my 50th birthday present from my wife.

When it goes I want to be sure there will be no regrets.

BK

CNY rider
08-09-2012, 12:43 PM
I sold an Ottrott.
Absolutely beautiful bicycle.
So beautiful I should have loved it forever.
But I didn't.
Oh well.

jlwdm
08-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Wayne, I think you should have kept the Serotta. Great looking bike.

Jeff

beeatnik
08-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Sold a clear Langster for less than the cost of a rear R45. Not too many decent $300 bikes out there.

saab2000
08-09-2012, 01:30 PM
I have had misgivings about a Look 585 Ultra I recently sold. The good news is that I have first dibs if the new owner decides to sell. Normally I don't care much about these things but I may miss that one. In fact, I'm pretty sure I already do. It was a good one.

DRZRM
08-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I just avoided it. I have an old Legend (ti Colorado) from the late 90s that I've always loved, but when I got a IF SSC I was going to offer it up here. But if bike sales are soft in general, sales for 15 year old frames are anemic. That said the Serotta ti's ride is awesome, so I just picked up a 1" F-3 fork for it to drop some weight, I'm planning for some new wheels, and I'll leave it at our family house in Long Island so I don't have to schlep a bike back and forth all the time. I'll post pics when the trasformation is complete.

dbh
08-09-2012, 01:59 PM
I sold an a Merckx Professional equipped with full Campy SR. Painted beautiful candy red. Only one I've really regretted. However if it doesn't get ridden, I give it the boot. Should have just ridden the Merckx some more.

Vinci
08-09-2012, 02:23 PM
I sold an excellent condition 1986 Miyata Pro Miyata because it was a little too big for me. I was happy to see it leave the garage to get ridden by someone else, but then saw it at a flea market a few months later looking much worse for wear. It broke my heart. :(

tuscanyswe
08-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Miss my green crown jewel. Awesome bike :-/

jr59
08-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Only 1.

I sold my custom Merlin, when I and the Dr thought I might not walk again.
I loved that bike. I worked so hard to come up with the money to get it. Rode it all over the country. Raced it, although poorly. More about the rider than the bike. Good times for sure on it.

I use to still see it in Fl. The guy who bought it still rides it, and loves it. He offered to sell it back, but seeing as he loves it as much as I did, I couldn't do it.

Other than that one, not one regret. Good bikes come and go with me. When time comes that I no longer want to ride a bike, it's time to go. Let another enjoy it.

I see a bike that I sold here every now and again. It's great to see somebody having such a great time on it!

spacemen3
08-09-2012, 03:27 PM
I regret selling my All Rounder. Knowing what I know now, I would have stripped off all of the hairy-legged touring kit and made it a fun bike to ride. :)

jlwdm
08-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I need a custom fit and thus can't imagine ever getting rid of my Serotta or Spectrum customs - the only two custom bikes I have owned. I do have a CSI that is custom but not for me. I doubt I will ever sell this bike either.

So no regrets.

Jeff

eddief
08-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I liked the simplicity of the whole damn thing. Nicely joined, steel fork, great simple decals. Had it really early on in the 12 year buying spree I have been on. Same for the Harlequin CSI. Too small, too gorgeous.

CaliFly
08-09-2012, 04:38 PM
The one bike I regret selling. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=55312&highlight=cda)

I sold it for my current Duende. I love the Duende more, but I SOOOO miss the CdA.

DHallerman
08-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Love (hate) this thread.

I've thought about just this question. Since I got back into cycling in 1989, I've sold 39 whole bikes or frame/forks.

(At least that's more than I currently own.)

And I regret, really regret selling only two.

One was my pumpkin Bridgestone XO-1. I was the original owner, and it was in great condition. I just thought, at that point, that I wouldn't be riding it much anymore.

The other was a silver Vitus 979, the frame and fork. I never assembled it, and have been curious since what it would have been like to ride. Actually, I know the buyer, and perhaps I could convince him to sell it back to me.

There was a third regret, but no more. That was a grey Heron Road, great by itself and perfect for a 650B conversion. But I recently picked up the exact same frameset, and so that regret has been repaired.

Dave, who might regret selling his Rivendell Road Standard but if he uses the funds to help buy either a Parlee or a Calfee or a Cielo or a Hampsten than perhaps the regret would be alleviated

Wayne77
08-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I guess I've just realized how much of an emotional attachment I had, and didn't know it. There could be n-number of logical reasons to sell a bike, but we gotta listen to our hearts sometimes. I'm normally not a sentimental guy at all. I flip things all the time...guitars, outdoor gear, cameras, lenses, etc. If it doesn't speak to me, it's gone (even if it spoke to me in the past...). I remember making the decision to sell this frame completely out of the blue. My wife couldn't believe it. At the time, seemed like she was more attached to the frame than I was. Once it finally sold and I was boxing up the frame, not a tear shed from me, but she had to say her goodbyes before it went away forever...sniff sniff :)

In hindsight, turns out I'm not so un-sentimental after all....with bikes anyway...

My prior bike was a working man's Klein Qauntum Pro with Ultegra (which is also gone). I worked hard to save up for the Concours, which at the time cost $2500. Lots of research here and elsewhere to ensure that the bike would be proper, would handle like I wanted it to, and would look decent (I still thank many of the old timers here for assistance with all that...).

Even after it was purchased and delivered, it hung on my wall for 11 months as I bought each part, one at a time, as funds trickled in. Every component was thoroughly researched and agonized over, bought here via forum pals, ebay, etc. I wanted it to be _just so_. Watching for UPS delivery notifications at work for delivery of a new part...coming home, opening a box containing something as mundane as a front derailleur and then carefully installing it on my frame....standing back and admiring how much more "complete" the build looked with the new part....good times, yet kind of pathetic in hindsight :rolleyes:.

I was just out of grad school then and that bike represented a transition from weekend warrior cyclist to someone who, if not even close to being the fastest guy in my nieghborhood, at least appreciated the finer subtleties of this grand sport more than most locals did, and (largely due to this forum) developed a deep passion for the sport that went well beyond just wanting to go fast and having a cool bike. That bike, with the Chorus build put me firmly in the Campy only fan group (even though I currently use SRAM because Chorus or Record 11 is too expensive for me right now..but one day I will return to Campy..one day...oh yes, I will have Campy again...)

Oh well, I'm sure the current owner (a forumite, unless it has been sold to someone else) loves it as well, so for that I can happily enjoy my current bike, which has nowhere near the soul of my Concours/Chorus build, but rides and handles just as nicely, while still fondly remembering the past... :beer:

/end melodrama

Germany_chris
08-09-2012, 06:29 PM
This, I sold it for the Legend. I like the Legend but this has appeal that the Legend lacks.

illuminaught
08-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Sold my Superprodigy because it really was too big for me.... but man, I loved that thing. If it were one size smaller I would have never let it go.

Looks like VAV is using it extremely well... So I'm not too bummed out about not having it anymore.

vav
08-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Sold my Superprodigy because it really was too big for me.... but man, I loved that thing. If it were one size smaller I would have never let it go.

Looks like VAV is using it extremely well... So I'm not too bummed out about not having it anymore.

Yes indeed. It's a great bike. I don't see myself getting rid of it in a long time.

choke
08-09-2012, 09:51 PM
1) A mid-80s Ciöcc with Campy 50th Anniversary.

2) A Fondriest Status Plus. I bought just the frame and fork and was slowly accumulating the parts when I had an offer for it that I couldn't refuse. I guess I should have....I've always wondered how it rode and I've never seen another in my size since.

malcolm
08-10-2012, 08:52 AM
1) a yellow Dave Tesch, can't remember the model, bought in the early '80s, sold in for an early cannondale, worst bike I ever owned.
2) hors cat, a wee bit to small but I still miss it
3) rivendell romulus, nothing special but a great smooth all day riding along bike

Wayne77
08-10-2012, 11:07 AM
This, I sold it for the Legend. I like the Legend but this has appeal that the Legend lacks.

wow. my jaw just hit the floor. These black and white Colnago's are stunning.

Climb01742
08-10-2012, 04:36 PM
years ago, i sold a mid-90s MXL because my fit changed and the frame was too small. still the best riding bike i ever owned. dang.

brando
08-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Sold a Pegoretti Palosanto that ruled.

Wayne77
08-10-2012, 11:29 PM
This thread needs more pictures!

choke
08-10-2012, 11:57 PM
This thread needs more pictures!OK, here you go....:)

Aaron O
08-11-2012, 07:22 AM
I don't have a photo of it, but the only bike I get misty eyed about was my father's 1954 Raleigh Sports...he wanted it out of the garage, it didn't fit me and I didn't really have the room for it. It sold for less than it should have and a part of me wishes I still had my dad's old bike.

I REALLY liked a Lemond Poprad that I sold as well.