PDA

View Full Version : Show off your commuter/workhorse

FunkyPorcini
09-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Let's see what everybody rides to work or to and from the grocery store.

Also please share a little about why you built it the way you did. Tell us about where you live and the type of weather you ride in.

I wish I had mine finished so I could start this off but I'm not quite there.

ergott
09-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Interesting thread. I'll post mine tomorrow..

Ozz
09-26-2005, 06:28 PM
see: "My 2003 CSI" at bottom of my post.....only have one bike built.

I have a frame and a couple boxes of parts that will eventually be a modestly gucci Legend...maybe in a couple weeks. This will be my commuter, wet roads, rust-proof ride.

Hopefully the weather will hold for awhile.....

pale scotsman
09-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Here's my commuter/ go getter, an 83 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport. For riding around town this bike is perfect for me. It passes the drop and rain test with flying colors.

Not much commuting lately since the wife can't seem to get the boy to school and herself to work at a decent hour, so I made life a little easier on all of us. :)

Ken Robb
09-26-2005, 07:45 PM
looks like a 68-69 degree HTA--plenty stable.

vandeda
09-26-2005, 10:08 PM
my ride to work is the beach cruiser (i only live 2 miles from work)

my commuter.workhorse is my centurion fixie

cs124
09-27-2005, 07:12 AM
Also shown in the Custom Bikes gallery under Old Workhorse (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9377&highlight=Workhorse)

Custom Reynolds 531, 105/Ultegra, Open 4CD, 25mm Bontrager RaceLite, SPD.

Commute 18km (minimum with no detours ;) ) each way to the office 2-3 times per week on roads and cycle-path. There are good shower and changeroom facilities there so I don't have to carry much, sometimes lunch and a few documents in a courier bag, sometimes just wallet, keys & 'phone stuffed in jersey pockets.

spiderman
09-27-2005, 02:33 PM
so, is that rear light white or red??
i was on a ride with a white rear light
and had fellow cyclists so mad at me
they couldn't see straight...
...one threatened to ride me off the road...

Ray
09-27-2005, 08:28 PM
I don't commute these days, but this is my around town, hop a bus/train/auto workhorse. Goes anywhere and isn't a half bad ride as long as you're not worried about a lot of speed. First pic is ready to ride. Second pic is in parked mode, which takes about half a second and is self-supporting. Third pic is fully folded, which takes between 10-15 seconds. Amazingly well designed and executed. The best folder out there with the emphasis on folding - the Bike Friday is a better rider for "serious" riding, but a pig to fold.

-Ray

vandeda
09-27-2005, 08:33 PM
i was on a ride with a white rear light
and had fellow cyclists so mad at me
they couldn't see straight...
...one threatened to ride me off the road...

WHAT!?!?!?!?! Some people seriously need to chill out. Some bozo threatened to ride you off the road for having a white rear light? I'd agree that red is better since it's understand that red are for taillights and white for headlights (well, motorists will understand this) ... but that's going waaaaaaaaay too far. Sheesh.

Dan

DarkStar
09-27-2005, 08:45 PM
My winter/summer commuter.

cookieguy
09-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Bontrgaer MTB, Campy OR, with 1.4 in slicks. I have bike lane for all but 1 mi of my ride to work (only 7mi). No digital photo....

cs124
09-27-2005, 09:36 PM

White front, red rear.

That guy needs to think laterally. Don't like someone's rear light? Ride in front of them. Simple, and no-one ends up in the gutter.

shumanmo
10-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Here’s my ride to work along the Chicago lakefront in all seasons for commuting and to stay in shape for triathlons. The frame, is about a 15 year old Haro mountain bike. This summer I replaced the shifters, derailleurs and chain with 9 speed Sram and built a set of pretty light wheels that use 1 ¼” tires. So it rides better than its street appeal, something you need when you leave it outside during the day. Some notable additions: aero bars, road saddle, adjustable stem, pedals that are clipless on one side, platform on the other. The aero bars and saddle let me get low and cut through the all too frequent Chicago wind, give my arms a rest and get my neck in shape for triathlons. The stem lets me lower the bars in spring and summer to get used to a flat aero position. I raise it in fall in winter for comfort. The pedals let me go clipless most of the year, but use insulated mountain boots on the flat side in the winter.