PDA

View Full Version : Possibly stupid question about chamois

MattTuck
08-08-2012, 08:14 PM
I've been noticing lately that the big pads (that I presume are designed to sit right under your sit bones) are well behind mine, and that my sit bones are really not centered on the area that it seems they should be. As a result, it seems that I'm not really getting the full benefit (or really any benefit of the chamois, since my sit bones seem to be at a much narrower point on the chamois half on and half off it)

1. Is this normal?
2. Are there brands of shorts that have a more forward chamois placement?
3. Any other advice?

Fixed
08-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Maybe you need to gain weight to fit the norm :eek:
Cheers.
I used to hate the diaper fit.:)

MattTuck
08-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm definitely NOT too skinny. So that isn't the problem, I don't think

vqdriver
08-08-2012, 08:47 PM
i noticed this with the rapha bibs. chamois placement seemed rotated way too far back. may be the brand, may be my anatomy. i've no idea. but no such issues with my other bibs. i'd recommend just trying out different brands. pearl izumi and capo work well for me. i used to have a couple giordana bibs, i don't remember their camois placement but i don't remember any problems with them either...

Louis
08-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Matt, what brand shorts are giving you this problem?

It's never been an issue for me for any flavor I've ever used (PI, Voler, Louis Garneau, Performance, Nashbar, 2XU, and probably some others I've forgotten)

eddief
08-08-2012, 09:02 PM
and post a jpeg so we can see what you are talking about? think that would help us help you. i think some shorts have quite a broad area of the thick part of the pad and that should cover most of our bottom parts. but, hey, maybe you got handed something unique. in the interest of full disclosure, this is the one that does it for my parts:

http://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110265BLKXSM#kw_PAD-TRILOGYMENS

of course, i am not releasing any info on what i wore before 2010.

MattTuck
08-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Matt, what brand shorts are giving you this problem?

It's never been an issue for me for any flavor I've ever used (PI, Voler, Louis Garneau, Performance, Nashbar, 2XU, and probably some others I've forgotten)

I currently have PI and Craft bibs and a few Performance ones too, but don't wear the Performance ones that often.

I have gotten a new pair of Craft's top of the line bib, which I'll try tomorrow. so we'll see how that goes.

If that doesn't work, I might be tempted to switch back to shorts. Maybe the bibs are doing something (my torso is a little long for my height) to pull the chamois back.

Louis
08-08-2012, 09:34 PM
(my torso is a little long for my height)

This may be it. I'm the exact opposite, with a shorter torso and longer legs.

If you can't find bibs with longer straps, I'd say just stick to shorts. They are generally less hassle than bibs anyway. If something I want to try is available only in bibs I'll use them, but given the choice, if everything else is equal, I go with shorts.

jischr
08-08-2012, 10:01 PM
I've had the same issue with a couple bibs and shorts. In both cases I pull the chamois forward and rotate the leg bits to the outside. With bids I'll pull up on the front and make sure the straps are tighter in front. After an hour riding most of it probably moves back to whatever location the designer/seamstress made.

I did have one bib from a charity ride where the pad was too far forward. Those I eventually tossed.