PDA

View Full Version : Glass sweeping crew

elcolombiano
08-08-2012, 01:07 PM
I ride around the Palos Verdes Peninsula (south bay, Los Angeles area).

Lately Palos Verdes Drive south has broken glass in many areas. I am looking to start a group that rotates going out and sweeping the glass. It's to much to do my self but week could start a web site where if you see glass on the road you save the coordinates and add them to the web site where either the city comes out and sweeps it or we take turns doing it our selves. I know there are hundreds of cyclists that ride this road every week. I wonder if someone is throwinng glass on the road intentionally.

oliver1850
08-08-2012, 02:46 PM
My cynical side says there will be a lot more thrown after "they" see you out there cleaning it up.

I've spent several hours this year cleaning up broken glass and other trash from the local bike path, but I could do a lot more of it. Thanks for the reminder. I hope you get some participation in your project.

MattTuck
08-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Call the city and ask them to run the street sweeper down the roads in question. if they don't respond, talk to your elected rep on the city council.

In my experience, public servants want to help and might not even be aware of the problem.

PS. You pay taxes so you don't have to organize such groups.

martinrjensen
08-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Several times on bike lanes on my usual route, I have driven back with a push broom to sweep a couple hundred feet of asphault clear of glass. I've been thinking of riding with a small wisk broom in my jersey.

rePhil
08-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Don't want to be negative, but there is possibly a liability issue. A local woman was killed the other day while weedeating the median in front of her home http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20120806/BREAKING/120809757
I commute on this street everyday. Never in a lifetime could I picture this happening. Back to bottles. I just don't get the thrill of watching glass break.My suggestion would be to call it in to the city.

AngryScientist
08-09-2012, 05:58 AM
agree on calling the city. if the city is smart, in addition to cleaning up the glass, they may post some extra patrol in those areas to deter people from throwing glass in the street in the first place. your intentions are good, i would funnel them and your fellow cyclists' energy into petitioning the city to do something.

mnoble485
08-09-2012, 06:14 AM
Don't want to be negative, but there is possibly a liability issue. A local woman was killed the other day while weedeating the median in front of her home http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20120806/BREAKING/120809757
I commute on this street everyday. Never in a lifetime could I picture this happening. Back to bottles. I just don't get the thrill of watching glass break.My suggestion would be to call it in to the city.

It's a shame but "No good deeds go unpunished" don't know who said this but I know it wasn't me .

Mike

false_Aest
08-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Brah,

Contact Iron Fly, South Bay Wheelmen or another club. They might be willing to help. Or call local govt.

Wrangling individuals is hard battle.

Story Time:
Back in Boston my roommate and I tried to get our neighbors to come out on a sunday and dig the street out of a really bad snow. No one would do it and people ended up fighting over parking spaces.

martinrjensen
08-09-2012, 07:33 PM
If you are talking about my comment, I agree with you but still plan to do it anyway when possible. I may start taking a couple "appropriated" road cones with me though... Don't want to be negative, but there is possibly a liability issue. A local woman was killed the other day while weedeating the median in front of her home http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20120806/BREAKING/120809757

rePhil
08-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Not to be argumentative, especially for a good deed doer, but using appropriated cones won't guarantee your safety, or make you legal.
Saying that, I wish there were more people like you. Be safe.

If you are talking about my comment, I agree with you but still plan to do it anyway when possible. I may start taking a couple "appropriated" road cones with me though...

martinrjensen
08-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Oh, I know all that, it might make it just a bit safer though.
I couldn't care less about being "legal" in this case and I'm sure not worried about "appropriating" a couple road cones. I'm concerned about the glass on a bike lane only. Glass just pisses me off.
note: nothing in life is guaranteed except death, I fully understand that.
Not to be argumentative, especially for a good deed doer, but using appropriated cones won't guarantee your safety, or make you legal.
Saying that, I wish there were more people like you. Be safe.

elcolombiano
08-10-2012, 02:35 AM
I called the City. I am a property owner in the city. Don't know if this gives me any pull. I spoke with the street maintenance dept. and they told me they will sweep the road Friday morning.