PDA

View Full Version : New Campy or (not really all that old) Campy?

FlashUNC
08-08-2012, 08:10 AM
So I'm getting a new frame to build up, and I'm a bit torn between getting some new Campy 11-speed Chorus, or suckering one of you folks to part with some of your gently used 10-speed Record/Chorus for this latest build.

The new stuff would be, well, new and a bit more expensive, but I would like to get back to the new Campy hood shape. And I hear nothing but good things about the new 11-speed stuff.

On the other hand, I already have a couple bikes with older gen Campy 10-speed on them, and there's a lot to be said for consistency of parts and swappability.

But Good Lord the new RD's are awesome.

So I'm pretty split on the issue. Thoughts? Just for reference, the frame will be mid-2000's and carbon with a more traditional, rather than compact, geometry, if that influences any opinions.

buldogge
08-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Umm...Lightly used Chorus 11...save money with Athena (or 10s) FD and brakes...Also, look for 2010 Athena Ergos, identical accept for the CF wrapped alloy brake blades. Hell, 2010 Athena Ergos, crank, brakes and Chorus FD, RD, chain, cassette...done.

BTW...Haven't looked recently, but Velomine had some 2010 std cranks and Ergos for good prices not too long ago.

-Mark in St. Louis

FlashUNC
08-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Umm...Lightly used Chorus 11...save money with Athena (or 10s) FD and brakes...Also, look for 2010 Athena Ergos, identical accept for the CF wrapped alloy brake blades. Hell, 2010 Athena Ergos, crank, brakes and Chorus FD, RD, chain, cassette...done.

BTW...Haven't looked recently, but Velomine had some 2010 std cranks and Ergos for good prices not too long ago.

-Mark in St. Louis

I was thinking at least an Athena FD and brakes. Just like the look of the alloy FD a bit better.

summilux
08-08-2012, 08:46 AM
I have a bike with SR11s and another with Record 10s. Other than the FD, I don't notice much difference between the two gruppos. And I think (but do not know for sure) that the FD performance difference is due to the chain rings rather than the FD itself. The new Ergolevers are comfy but I found the 10s Ergos comfy too. If I were to get a third bike, I'd get some used Record/Chorus 10s, but an 11s crank on it and spend the savings on a nice set of hoops.

CNY rider
08-08-2012, 09:22 AM
The new Ergolevers are comfy but I found the 10s Ergos comfy too. If I were to get a third bike, I'd get some used Record/Chorus 10s, but an 11s crank on it and spend the savings on a nice set of hoops.

I think this is the key.
I like the older Ergos better because of the way they fit my hands.
That's how I would make my decision.

Aaron O
08-08-2012, 10:52 AM
I really feel like this is a can't go wrong question. I've used 8,9,10 and 11sp and, honestly, find it all works quite well. I like the hood shape best on 11 and it is a bit smoother, especially with wider gear ranges. I like 8 best for aesthetics, but all of their alloy groups are pretty sexy IMO.

11 stuff is as good as you've heard and I LOVE the new Ergo hoods...but saving money matters and earlier stuff is hardly obsolete or burdensome to ride. Like folks said above, ultimately anything with the word "feel" is subjective and ymmv. 11sp for me is like what I always dreamed a gruppo would be line in heaven; precise, smooth, needs no maintenance, and comfortable.

thwart
08-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Having just this week installed the new style ergos on my 'cross bike, and my first experience with 'em (2 good long training rides), I'd say big thumbs up. Much better on bumpy downhills.

However, can't comment on the 11 spd vs 10 spd thing, since these were 10 spd ergos, 'hub-bubbed' to a 9 spd Shimano XTR drivetrain and wheelset.

Steve in SLO
08-08-2012, 12:25 PM
You really can't go wrong either way.
Keep in mind that the newer style Ergos have about a 1cm farther reach to the hoods than the older style.

Bob Loblaw
08-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Shift performance between the two is pretty comparable. It will probably be a question of ergos and cost.

Cost definitely goes to the 10s. The 11s is rebuildable, but requires replacing the entire shift mechanism which is over $100 jsut for parts. 10s you can do for $30 in parts and about an hour with some youtube guidance.

10s Chains are cheaper and abundant, as any 10s chain will do the job. Cassettes are also cheaper unless you go high zoot.

Also, 11s cassette spacers have been breaking (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93960). It's the 2.3mm spacer that goes. I have been replacing them with sanded-down 2.35mm shimano spacers, which works fine, but anyway it's a consideraton.

So unless you really love the ergos of 11s, all told I'd say go with the 10s.

BL

soulspinner
08-08-2012, 04:44 PM
You really can't go wrong either way.
Keep in mind that the newer style Ergos have about a 1cm farther reach to the hoods than the older style.

What he said. Ive got 11 speed, but I much prefer the Veloce 10 speed cassette price to a Chorus 11....If money matters long run

jlwdm
08-08-2012, 05:04 PM
I like the 11 much better. Like the hoods and now have two 11 and 10 centaur all with the same hoods.

Time to start selling the 2007 Record components. Sold crankset on a classifieds WTB but been too lazy to list the rest.

Jeff

Nelson99
08-08-2012, 09:40 PM
If you have big hands and can find a pair of the new hood and lever Ultra-shift Centaur 10sp shifters I would recommend those very highly. The hood size and shape feels a lot better for my big mitts and the shifting is just great.

Rekalcitrant
08-08-2012, 10:18 PM
I just switched from 10s to 11s and +1 about the newer hoods being better on bumpy downhills and about the front chainrings being an improvement. I also managed to buy the crankset with 36/52 chainrings, which I really like (previously had 34/50).

dbh
08-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Or you could go with some NOS 10 speed Ultrashift Centaur or Veloce shifters from 2009-10. New style hoods, but 10 speed cost and reliability.

zennmotion
08-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Having just this week installed the new style ergos on my 'cross bike, and my first experience with 'em (2 good long training rides), I'd say big thumbs up. Much better on bumpy downhills.

However, can't comment on the 11 spd vs 10 spd thing, since these were 10 spd ergos, 'hub-bubbed' to a 9 spd Shimano XTR drivetrain and wheelset.

My experience - hub=bubbing works OK for riding on the road under normal conditions, but the cable anchor at the derailleur can slip and pulled just enough out of place under abusive shifting/mudandcrud for suddenly unreliable shifting for cyclocross racing . Spend a little for the Jtek pulley, model 2. It's well worth it, unreliable shifting in the middle of a cross race that you woke up at dawn for, drove in the rain, paid your fee and pissed your shorts on the start line just to grind and pop your gears on the second lap- well, just get the Jtek. That said, I still prefer shimergo 8 speed rather than 9 for cross, no Jtek or hubbub adaptations needed, 8 speed chains are stronger (no mushroomed pins) the cog spacing is wide for mud and the cassettes are cheap and still easy to find online. Sorry for the hijack- And yeah, the latest 10 speed Veloce hood shapes rock for cross.

OtayBW
08-10-2012, 08:56 AM
....The 11s is rebuildable, but requires replacing the entire shift mechanism which is over $100 jsut for parts. 10s you can do for $30 in parts and about an hour with some youtube guidance.....

Is that right? :confused: I just bought a rebuild kit for a Record 10, but they don't make a kit for the Chorus 11 as far as I know. I had to buy an entire shift lever body assembly for the 11.

thwart
08-10-2012, 08:59 AM
My experience - hub=bubbing works OK for riding on the road under normal conditions, but the cable anchor at the derailleur can slip and pulled just enough out of place under abusive shifting/mudandcrud for suddenly unreliable shifting for cyclocross racing . Spend a little for the Jtek pulley, model 2. It's well worth it, unreliable shifting in the middle of a cross race that you woke up at dawn for, drove in the rain, paid your fee and pissed your shorts on the start line just to grind and pop your gears on the second lap- well, just get the Jtek. That said, I still prefer shimergo 8 speed rather than 9 for cross, no Jtek or hubbub adaptations needed, 8 speed chains are stronger (no mushroomed pins) the cog spacing is wide for mud and the cassettes are cheap and still easy to find online. Sorry for the hijack- And yeah, the latest 10 speed Veloce hood shapes rock for cross.

Thanks for the input. Especially the pee your pants part... ;)

I've been there. Some caffeine is good, but lots and lots of caffeine... :eek:

Yeah, I can see where this could be an issue... hmmm, may need to reconsider my set-up... although seems like the Jtek could get compromised by mud and such as well.