PDA

View Full Version : How far did you drive to be fitted?

gary135r
09-26-2005, 12:58 AM
I am curious how far people have driven, (or how far was your ride) to be fitted for your bike. I am driving an hour and 45 minutes to be fitted at the closest Serotta dealer in my area. I live in Maine and I am driving to New Hampshire.
Thanks

Larry D
09-26-2005, 05:24 AM
My wife and I drove 3 1/2 hours (~220 miles) from Boston to Waitsfield, VT, to Fitwerx, for our fittings. It was well worth the drive. :banana:

Sandy
09-26-2005, 05:32 AM
I drove to Smiley's home, about 15-20 minutes.

Still Smiling STill Serotta Sandy

Kevin
09-26-2005, 05:58 AM
45 minutes.

Kevin

Ozz
09-26-2005, 08:11 AM
From Seattle to Portland, OR...180+ miles

I never got the warm and fuzzies from the local Serotta dealer and was really disappointed with their service/repair dept...

Went to The Bike Gallery in Lake Oswego...great guys!

znfdl
09-26-2005, 08:20 AM
I drove from Vienna Va. to Breinigsville, Pa to be fitted for a Spectrum about 180 miles and a little over 3 hours. A nice benefit of going their to get fit was a night of watching the races at the Trexlertown Velodrome.

jpw
09-26-2005, 08:28 AM
"...drive...". Surley you mean 'ride', no?

spiderman
09-26-2005, 08:38 AM
was a 3 mile bike ride
from spirit lake
to okoboji
middleofnowhereiowa...

JohnS
09-26-2005, 08:44 AM
I find it funny the way that different people, and parts of the country, refer to distances in different ways. Some use miles and others refer to time.
I drove 25 MILES, each way.

abqhudson
09-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Albuquerque to Denver: 440 miles. Wheatridge Cyclery

Jim

Tailwinds
09-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Where did you get fitted in Denver? I went to Hans at BikeSource in Littleton... about 30 miles from my house.

coylifut
09-26-2005, 08:57 AM
I flew from Portland OR to NYC then drove to Spectrum land to be fitted by Tom. I shipped my existing bike a couple of weeks prior. Of course, I found a reason to be in the city on business that week.

Jeff N.
09-26-2005, 09:06 AM
To Bill Holland. He's in Spring Valley, a community of San Diego (How 'bout them Chargers?). He's about 20 minutes from my front door. Ditto JB. How lucky can THAT be? Jeff N.

dehoopta
09-26-2005, 09:10 AM
I drove 20 miles, but would have traveled even farther. Oakley Cycles (one of the top 10 Serotta dealers) is the best shop in the city. They also are the founders of the DPF and the Sunflower Rev.

andy mac
09-26-2005, 09:13 AM
i've flown from amsterdam to london. sadly found it to be a complete waste of time and much $$$...

shoe
09-26-2005, 09:27 AM
4 hours to get fitted at blue sky cycles. took a few days off and made it into a miny vacation with my girlfriend. got my specs for a new bike and fit my current bike to me now and made a world of difference...dave

jpw
09-26-2005, 09:27 AM
i've flown from amsterdam to london. sadly found it to be a complete waste of time and much $$$...

Why, what happened in London? :confused:

andy mac
09-26-2005, 09:36 AM
firstly the frame they proposed. for some reason i didn't trust them so i went and saw a well known fitter in the usa. he came up with a TT 5 cm longer! this was confirmed by another much respected fitter i saw recently about something else (you can tell i move around a bit.)

the other thing they did in london was throw 4 wedges under my shoes. the two good fitters i've seen in the usa and the physio for the australian olympic cycling team told me to take them out straight away. have done that.

so, funky frame recommendation and uber wedgie action that didn't address the problem, not good use of limited $$!

09-26-2005, 10:02 AM
I drove from Near Philly to Central Valley New york to Paul Levine at signature cycles. Worth Every minute of travel and i have continued to drive up to NY for some of the best riding I have seen.

jpw
09-26-2005, 10:03 AM
So this was the current London Serotta dealer, Serotta's number two in the world last year measured by sales?

5cm seems to be quite a margin of error. A bit disconcerting to hear this.

Don't know anything about wedges to comment- orthotic type of wedges are they?

Did you follow this up with them to get an explanation?

davep
09-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Although Coylifut has me beat, I flew from Ft. Lauderdale to Allentown, PA rented a car and drove to Spectrum to be fit for a bike. It was supposed to be up and back the same day, but an ice storm in Allentown and 3 malfunctioning deicing trucks made me late for my connecting flight in Cincinnati, so it ended up being a two day trip.

andy mac
09-26-2005, 10:33 AM
i decided not to follow up mainly because in the UK through them a concours cs frame with an F3 fork is $4860 USD whereas in the States it's 'only' $3360.

i was also moving around europe and it just seemed easier to let it go.

the wedges are these things:

http://cyclefit.co.uk/lewedge.htm

i am sure they are a great store. seems they work with many top riders (of which i am not one) so maybe i just hit them on a bad day. or i just really suck.

i went over their frame recommendations with paul levine last week and we both agreed if i ordered the frame they suggested with the 5cm shorter TT amongst other things, you'd be seeing it on ebay pretty quickly.

cheers,

andy

gary135r
09-26-2005, 10:38 AM
From Seattle to Portland, OR...180+ miles

I never got the warm and fuzzies from the local Serotta dealer and was really disappointed with their service/repair dept...

Went to The Bike Gallery in Lake Oswego...great guys!

Actually I am doing the same thing. I didn't get the warm fuzzies from a dealer an hour down the road.

gary135r
09-26-2005, 10:40 AM
I find it funny the way that different people, and parts of the country, refer to distances in different ways. Some use miles and others refer to time.
I drove 25 MILES, each way.

In Maine a 20 mile drive can either 20 minutes or an hour depending on the road

drbob
09-26-2005, 11:03 AM
I flew up to see Paul Levine in Central Valley. No regrets.

Serpico
09-26-2005, 11:54 AM
I drove 3 hours each way (6 hours round trip), there were two serotta dealers in town--but the outta town guy had more experience and was much cooler over the phone

RichMc
09-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Honolulu to Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs to Denver & fitted at Wheatridge. I was doing other things in Colorado Springs but the trip to Wheatridge was worth it.

deechee
09-26-2005, 12:20 PM
4-5 hrs to NY from Montreal. Paul Levine @ Signaturecycles. Best trip I ever made. I just wish it were more accessible, otherwise I'd be there all the time.

jonesy
09-26-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm going from Arbroath to London in November on on the overnight train.
650 miles but now I'm worried why was it a waste of time and money Andy? :confused:

Serotta PETE
09-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Yes, SPOKES and I drove (he did the driving) for 8 hours to see MIKE at Cyclesport. Well worth the drive....(Yes I am shameless in advertising.....)

PETE

andy mac
09-26-2005, 12:41 PM
i can only speak from personal experience and my background is in ski racing not cycling. the measurements they suggested for me are very different from the recommends from some of the most highly regarded fitters here in the usa.

the only reason i questioned the uk fit in the first place, before i'd ordered, was that somebody on this forum saw my UK frame suggestions and said they had really long legs and a short upper body too. well i don't, i'm pretty normal. so an alarm bell started ringing. that, coupled with the price diff, made me check out a fitter in the usa as i was there for xmas. he measured me up and came back with much diff figures. these were confirmed again last week by another great fitter. yikes!

the usa fitters and the physio for the aussie olympic cycling team both told me to lose the wedges as well - they really had my feet jacked out.

that said, if you look at the UK site they apparently fit and work with lots of world class riders.

why don't you start a new post and ask others here if they have had any dealings with them?

if you look at the price diff in bikes between the usa and the uk you could probably fly to the usa and get a fit with paul levine in NY cheaper than a trip to london and buying a bike there!!

i am not at all qualified to hand out any bike info esp in the esteemed company found on this forum, i just wanted to share my experience.

good luck. i hope it all comes together for you!

cheers again,

andy.

Bud
09-26-2005, 12:44 PM
I live about 15 miles from Wheat Ridge cyclery (essentially in Denver). It's a great shop and both fits I've done there have been awesome. I just got fit on my brand new Fierte Saturday :)

Dr. Doofus
09-26-2005, 01:12 PM
I e-mailed the jerk and he told me to shut up, because you can't fit someone by looking at pictures

of course, he was right

so I put the saddle where it was sorta high, but comfortable

so I put the depressed part of the saddle in line with the seat tube, where E-Ritchie says it should go

so I put a proportional stem on my bike

so I lowered the bars as far as I they could go without making something hurt

then I rode around for a while and tweaked everything so it was comfy

in the end, I undid my serotta fit that had me on a stupid "race" bike with a 62.5 f-c

jonesy
09-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Cheers Andy I suppose even a Serotta is only as good as the person that measures you up.Flying the Atlantic seems a bit o.t.t. though.I've already been stung badly in the past with import tax on a set of wheels and I don't want that again.Infact it negated the saving the last time.

Thanks Lee

Spectrum Bob
09-26-2005, 01:41 PM
It took me a little over 3 hours to drive to the barn to be fit by Tom. It took my wife closer to 4 but I drive faster. But then since she got her Spectrum she now rides faster.

Ray
09-26-2005, 02:01 PM
It took me a little over 3 hours to drive to the barn to be fit by Tom. It took my wife closer to 4 but I drive faster. But then since she got her Spectrum she now rides faster.
I'm only a little over an hour to the barn. Made a couple of trips last fall and winter. I've ridden the result very nearly every day since I got it in February. Will drive the 3 hours or so up to Connecticut in another year or so when I get close enough to the end of E-Richie's queue. If that one comes out as well as this one, I'm gonna be really conflicted figuring out what to ride each day.

-Ray

steven.k.davis@
09-26-2005, 03:18 PM
I flew from Anchorage, Alaska to Alexandria, Virginia (Serotta dealer was close to Reagan national airport). They picked me up and took me back. The effort was well worth it. The Legend ST fits me perfectly and rides like a dream.

Climb01742
09-26-2005, 03:41 PM
I flew from Anchorage, Alaska to Alexandria, Virginia (Serotta dealer was close to Reagan national airport). They picked me up and took me back. The effort was well worth it. The Legend ST fits me perfectly and rides like a dream.

we may have a winner.

Johnnyg
09-26-2005, 03:41 PM
one hour and fifteen minutes from Maine to Belmont Wheel Works. I'm sending this from deep within a Mass pot hole! JohnnyG

Serotta PETE
09-26-2005, 03:47 PM

You are the winner and next time you get to Raleigh(RTP) NC,,,,the wine and dinner are on me. You really wanted that ST!!!

Pete

steven.k.davis@
09-27-2005, 01:13 PM
If I come to Raleigh, I will bring the bike!

wwtsui
09-27-2005, 08:03 PM
in Waitsfield, VT -- maybe 2 1/2 hour drive from the Boston suburbs where I live. Key selling point for me was that they could do both custom insoles (had persistent hot spot problems) and bike fit. Have been very satisfied.