PDA

View Full Version : Tight fit on front brake bolt in F-3 fork

DRZRM
08-07-2012, 11:28 PM
So I've just pulled my F-1 fork and replaced it with a F-3, and the brake bolt that secures the Record alloy brake (10 speed, 2004ish) brake seems too large to fit the hole. Generally, I'd line it up with an allen wrench an tap it in assuming that it fits but has close tolerance, but I'm unlikely going to be able to find another 1" F-3, much less afford it, so given how carefully I've installed everything with a torque wrench and all, before I take a hammer to the carbon fork, I figured I check in and wait until morning to install. Thoughts, did brake bolt girth change at some point in recent decades?

spamjoshua
08-07-2012, 11:31 PM
A custom size.

It is not you.

The kind folks at Serotta sent me one.

I am not sure where else to find them.

oliver1850
08-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Yeah, Serotta or Reynolds. I gave the last one I had away to a forum member.

On the F3, I filed a regular one down on the OD to fit. I assumed the F1 used the same one and you'd have one. Don't try to force a regular one in there.

DRZRM
08-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Of course...

dave thompson
08-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Might they be the same as the Reynolds brake nut, which are ti and very slightly smaller in diameter than a standard brake nut. If so, most LBS would have them, about $10.

DRZRM
08-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks Dave, anyone know if the Reynolds and Serottas are the same OD? Mark, just ignore my PM (oops, I see you already answered my question above). I'll make some calls tomorrow, but I'd appreciate any further info.

oliver1850
08-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm pretty sure the Reynolds and Serotta are the same diameter. I don't know if there are different lengths for the different fork models, but I have an F2 here I can measure.

cp43
08-08-2012, 07:40 AM
When I bought my Colorado III several years ago it didn't come with a brake bolt. I was able to order the correct Ti one from my LBS. Don't know where they ordered it from though.

Chris

Joachim
08-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Ordered one yesterday online from Reynolds.

Serotta_Carbon
08-08-2012, 09:01 AM
The Reynolds brake bolt and F2 & F3 brake bolts are in fact the same.

DRZRM
08-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks everyone, just ordered one from the Reynolds site.

Puget Pounder
08-08-2012, 11:48 AM
This is what I did with my Ouzo Pro:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LmaM1zwtZa0/UBX9uroTI0I/AAAAAAAAB-U/72TM5Sob23A/s400/IMG309.jpg

Did some quick sanding on the diameter and used an axle spacer.

54ny77
08-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Is the F3 fork for sure a standard Ouzo Pro bolt? If so that's good to know. Might need to order me a couple spares since I have bikes with both types of fork. Can't say misplacing a fork brake bolt is high on the Murphy's Law Bike Repair List (it's not like I take brakes off much), but I've done worse...:rolleyes:

dave thompson
08-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Is the F3 fork for sure a standard Ouzo Pro bolt? If so that's good to know. Might need to order me a couple spares since I have bikes with both types of fork. Can't say misplacing a fork brake bolt is high on the Murphy's Law Bike Repair List (it's not like I take brakes off much), but I've done worse...:rolleyes:

The Reynolds brake bolt and F2 & F3 brake bolts are in fact the same.

Yes, exactly the same according to Serotta Carbon (Mike Lopez), who worked for Reynolds before Serotta acquired the Reynolds fork facility which is now the Serotta carbon fork factory. He should know!

ultraman6970
08-08-2012, 03:46 PM
In all these years, the thickness of the walls in those bolts is not standard so you might find that some wont fit too good. Some fit, some are super tight and others wont fit in the fork brake hole, you have to add that It depends on the fork and how much paint of clear they put to it too..

You dont need to buy a new bolt, just file it a tiny bit or use a dremel, just enough to make it fit. If you are anal with stuff so little as this fix then go to the lbs, ask for bolts and take the fork with you too. Or wait in the mail for 2 weeks because you have 50% chances the new ones wont fit either :D

Sadly there is no standard brake hole so you have to deal with the problem :) The same with the length of the bolts, have seen like 4 lengths but nothing standard. same with fork crowns, besides the threading and the size of the brake shaft it is impossible to guess sometimes if the bolts are too long/short or if they will fix the hole.

This is when Dremel is a god's send!

Good luck.

:D