PDA

View Full Version : Giro factor or Prolight Road Shoes

hainy
08-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Tried these on yesterday and they feel great. Anyone spent some time on either model and can provide some feedback as to their experience. While the prolights are tempting as they are so light I am concerned about durability?

Cheers

Hainy

false_Aest
08-07-2012, 07:06 PM
IIRC

Prolite has less layers of CF than the factors. Less material = less weight, less stiff.

I like the non-ratchet option of the pro lites but they were a no-go simply because I could make the shoes flex with my hands. I'm very aware that flexing shoes with my hands is 100% different than riding a bicycle but my feet are picky and well...I'm a sucker.

But I ended up going with the Trans because they seemed equally stiff as the Factors and look way more better imho.
blah.

FWiW, I. Martin in Beverly Hills is selling the prolites for about $100 off retail (same price as Factors). Call em and ask for Carly. She'll help you out.

hainy
08-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks False

Appreciate the feedback and now must have a look at the trans also.

Cheers

hainy

Jaq
08-07-2012, 10:08 PM
IIRC

Prolite has less layers of CF than the factors. Less material = less weight, less stiff.

I like the non-ratchet option of the pro lites but they were a no-go simply because I could make the shoes flex with my hands. I'm very aware that flexing shoes with my hands is 100% different than riding a bicycle but my feet are picky and well...I'm a sucker.

But I ended up going with the Trans because they seemed equally stiff as the Factors and look way more better imho.
blah.

FWiW, I. Martin in Beverly Hills is selling the prolites for about $100 off retail (same price as Factors). Call em and ask for Carly. She'll help you out.

The special they're running is only on white prolights; I believe they can also be bought through the website for Helens cycles, which is I. Martin's parent Co. The Prolights are just silly-light; like a feather.

http://helenscycles.com/product/giro-prolight-slx-82590-1.htm

Every review I read about the Factors praises them; I tried on a pair yesterday and the fit was great, but I wasn't crazy about the buckle mechanism; didn't seem as robust as Sidis'. I'll probably go with them, but Sidi 5s and Sidi Lasers are tempting; Sidis are so durable.

I was also surprised by the Bontrager RLs; not crazy about the graphics, but really comfortable and very stiff. The guys at I. Martin were swearing by them.

Lovetoclimb
08-08-2012, 06:00 AM
Rode and raced them both, prolights are better.

kayten
08-08-2012, 08:33 AM
I have tried them, and many others. I like Specialized the best...

oldguy00
08-08-2012, 09:40 AM
I have tried them, and many others. I like Specialized the best...

Exact same experience here.
I found the Giro's, like a lot of the newer shoes, were too stretchy in the upper. Pull up with my foot, and I felt the material stretch. Same with Bontrager and Shimano's high end shoes.

Specialized Sworks are by far the best IMHO.

Lovetoclimb
08-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Since we are going off Giros I will add that I did have to warranty my prolights for a collapsed toe box. 6 hours in the back seat en route to Asheville and the sun took its toll. Have heard from many friends that the factors are more notorious for this problem. So I am currently using Fizik R3SL (silver with 3 straps) and I can say they feel amazing. VERY different fit than Giro or Sidi, with a huge arch, lots of wiggle room but snug in the right Places. Looking forward to logging serious miles with them and doing a thorough comparison.

false_Aest
08-08-2012, 10:32 AM
if they're referrign to SpecialED's boa enclosure.... Boa effin rocks.

I have no experience with SpecialEd but I did rock a pair of Lakes for about 18k miles. Boa was superbe!!!. The only reason I didn't purchase another set of Lakes was that they're ridiculously hard to come by and I absolutely refuse to buy anything from Nashbar.

Jaq
08-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Since we are going off Giros I will add that I did have to warranty my prolights for a collapsed toe box. 6 hours in the back seat en route to Asheville and the sun took its toll. Have heard from many friends that the factors are more notorious for this problem. So I am currently using Fizik R3SL (silver with 3 straps) and I can say they feel amazing. VERY different fit than Giro or Sidi, with a huge arch, lots of wiggle room but snug in the right Places. Looking forward to logging serious miles with them and doing a thorough comparison.

The Fizik is a shoe I really want to try on, but I haven't found anyone here in LA who carries them. Anyone know of any LA/Orange County shops?

winmonster
08-08-2012, 04:46 PM
About a year on my Factors and I like them. No complaints. I hardly ever drive to ride, though, so no "window time". The soles are holding up, with just cosmetic scratches. I particularly like the more rearward cleat drillings.

shekie777
08-08-2012, 06:07 PM

I had the same experience with the Trans, one toe box collapsed after less than 3 weeks of riding. Giro did take them back and refunded me.