PDA

View Full Version : yet another garmin mount option: FlipLoc

wallymann
08-07-2012, 04:59 PM
found on ebay and ordered one today. looks pretty nice, not as chunky as the BarFly.

"Designed in the USA, made with lasers!"

you had me at "lasers"!

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/FlipLoc-Garmin-Edge-500-200-Cycling-Handlebar-Computer-Mount-Barfly-/00/s/OTQzWDk0NA==/$T2eC16JHJFoE9nh6m-mjBQDwzhSYYQ~~60_57.JPG

stephenb
08-07-2012, 05:02 PM
and just how does that bolt work in the clamp???

echelon_john
08-07-2012, 05:06 PM
It goes through the hole and tightens it on the handlebar?

thinpin
08-07-2012, 05:06 PM

Pop it in the hole provided and tighten.

stephenb
08-07-2012, 05:10 PM
nice short answer...where does the nut go????

pdmtong
08-07-2012, 05:20 PM
I bet the nut is recessed into the plastic in the upper piece. once you wrap the clamp portion around the bar, the bolt goes up into the nut and you tighten it from below. this is the way the old avocet computers would attach.

does anyone make a clamp for a 26.0 bar? or is there a std shim for to adapt to a older nitto, etc.?

pdmtong
08-07-2012, 05:22 PM
lasers.....

do you expect me to talk, goldfinger?

no mr. bond. I expect you to die!

stephenb
08-07-2012, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=pdmtong;1184492]I bet the nut is recessed into the plastic in the upper piece. once you wrap the clamp portion around the bar, the bolt goes up into the nut and you tighten it from below. this is the way the old avocet computers would attach

If you look at the auction the third or fourth photo shows how this supposedly works...it's through drilled so the bolt enters from the top and the bolt grips from the bottom. There are no hidden fasteners involved. Much less elegant than the Bar Fly...IMO

atanz
08-07-2012, 05:34 PM
probably just 3d printed from Shapeways.com (http://www.shapeways.com)

false_Aest
08-07-2012, 05:36 PM
huzzah

wallymann
08-07-2012, 05:40 PM
since the upper surface is continuous, it looks like the nut slides in from the inside of the mount (where the handlebars pass) and the bolt goes in from the underside. you can see the area where the nut goes in the tech-drawing in the 1st image above.

the cpu sits more in-line with the bar and all of the corners/edges are rounded, so it's definitely more aero than the barfly -- gotta be worth at least 0.0000012548372 seconds in a 40km TT. ;-)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/FlipLoc-Garmin-Edge-500-200-Cycling-Handlebar-Computer-Mount-Barfly-/00/s/ODM1WDEzOTU=/$T2eC16VHJIYE9qUcNkeiBQDwzlTfww~~60_57.JPG

stephenb
08-07-2012, 05:42 PM
I must be visually impaired...the bolt is near the width of the mount. Just where do you insert this fastener? And from what direction?

choke
08-07-2012, 05:50 PM
I must be visually impaired...the bolt is near the width of the mount. Just where do you insert this fastener? And from what direction?Look at the drawing false_Aest provided. Next to the handlebar clamp there is a cutout (it has 'crosshairs' in it), the nut slides into that cutout from the inside and is held in place by both the plastic and the handlebar.

stephenb
08-07-2012, 05:54 PM
I quit...you can save $5.00 by buying this new awesome mount on eBay.
Enjoy :-)

crownjewelwl
08-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Garmins next gen devices have different proprietary mount designs!!

The 800 is due for a refresh soon!!

akelman
08-07-2012, 06:20 PM
lasers.....

do you expect me to talk, goldfinger?

no mr. bond. I expect you to die!

I kind of love you right now, dude.

choke
08-07-2012, 06:29 PM
I quit...you can save $5.00 by buying this new awesome mount on eBay.
Enjoy :-)Here you go. I lightened it up, you can see a cavity on the inside of the mount above the red line. That is where the nut goes.

mvrider
08-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Just how durable is 3D-printed plastic? I've designed plenty of parts machined from plastics, but never had them 3D printed.

The captive nut is a cheap and fairly elegant way of having a metal thread inside plastic, actually. Something you couldn't do with conventional machining or molding.

mike p
08-07-2012, 08:42 PM
I paid 40.00 for the barfly this is 38.00 has anyone had both pieces in their hands? Quality difference? Speak up.

Mike

wallymann
08-07-2012, 08:51 PM
as long as the plastic used isn't crap, the mfg process shouldn't matter. iirc raceware's garmin mounts are also made this way.

Just how durable is 3D-printed plastic? I've designed plenty of parts machined from plastics, but never had them 3D printed.

The captive nut is a cheap and fairly elegant way of having a metal thread inside plastic, actually. Something you couldn't do with conventional machining or molding.

benitosan1972
08-07-2012, 10:12 PM
The best way to understand how it mounts,
is to look at how reflectors are mounted front/rear
on new bikes: bolt, clamp, nut is recessed and held in place.

FixedNotBroken
08-07-2012, 10:22 PM
All these new mounts do the same thing...who cares?

pdmtong
08-07-2012, 10:58 PM

aw, shucks....

my mind, it's kind of like a steel trap.

rusted and closed.

pdmtong
08-07-2012, 11:00 PM
All these new mounts do the same thing...who cares?

duuuude. it's the forum. we think there for we are.

you want a real debate? c'mon over during the holidays when all my elderly relatives are arguing amongst each other who got the cheapest flu shot...

pdmtong
08-07-2012, 11:04 PM
plastic used in these types of applications needs to be strength/weight rated, like how specialized does their carbon. 7r, 8r, 9r, 11r etc.

I need confidence the $35 hunk of delrin doesnt cause my $350 hunk of micro processors to hit the asphalt or dirt suddently.....

FixedNotBroken
08-08-2012, 12:10 AM
duuuude. it's the forum. we think there for we are.

you want a real debate? c'mon over during the holidays when all my elderly relatives are arguing amongst each other who got the cheapest flu shot...

I'm just saying because there has been 4-5 threads about the new Garmin mounts and I started one of them :p

IJWS
08-08-2012, 12:40 AM
So where does the nut go? Just kidding--most annoying thread of the day award. The quality of the 3-d print looks to be more than sub par. I personally feel like forged aluminum is worth $40. Plastic is worth about $10. Especially with those not so refined edges on the 3-d print.

coffeecake
08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Love it! Seems the unit is more protected between the handlebars in case of crash.

fourflys
08-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Hmm, I just out mine on the stem with the original mount and enjoy...

fjaws
08-08-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm sure the folks at Garmin are also in talks with the lawyers over at Speedplay. :hello:

r_mutt
08-10-2012, 07:17 AM

indeed- best quote ever!

Design Cycles
08-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Greetings everyone, I am the creator of the FlipLoc mounts and wanted to take a moment to answer everyone’s questions.

As some people have mentioned, the nut slides into a pocket that gets concealed once mounted on the handlebars. The pocket can be seen in the drawing included in some of the pictures on this thread. It has just enough interference so the nut doesn’t fall out during installation, yet can be pushed into place by hand without much effort. This partially hexagonal pocket is concentric with a through hole that the bolt goes through.

The material is nylon and is manufactured with a process called Selective Laser Sintering (SLS). Yes, it really is made with lasers. SLS allows for the creation of features that are difficult or impossible to create with tradition techniques. The pocket for the nut, hollowed mid-section, and the two-sided Garmin mount area are all examples of features that would challenge conventional manufacturing methods. One down-side often mentioned with SLS is the rougher surface finish. It is an aesthetic challenge that we are still working on and hope to improve in the future.

The FlipLoc is available in two versions. The FlipLoc STD – 31.8mm is for standard handlebars and the FlipLoc Aero – 22.2mm is for aerobars. Both mounts fit the Edge 500 and 200, but the Edge 800 is too large. The incompatibility of with the Edge 800 was a tough decision, but ultimately driven by a desire to keep the mount compact and low so the Garmin sits flush and close to the handlebars.

A large number of local riders ranging from club riders to pro racers have been riding with the mount for some time now. It has been exciting to go to group rides and races and see nearly half the field with the FlipLoc mounts. I thought about designing this mount long before the first competitors came on the market. Ultimately, I shelved the idea until I saw the Barfly. I had a few different ideas and pen to paper to prototype to production has brought me to the point where I can provide mounts to others. It has been an awesome project.

Both versions of the mounts are currently available in a few bike shops and online with Ebay. A website (www.designcycles.net) is also going live in the next few days and we are considering direct sales through that as well. Enjoy the ride and let me know if you have questions or comments.

mvrider
08-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Welcome to the Paceline!

Does the SLS nylon have the same properties as molded nylon, such as nylon 66? I'm inclined to guess that there would be porosity, leading to reduced strength, but correct me if I'm wrong.

wasfast
08-10-2012, 05:23 PM
SLS is really tough material. I've had multiple prototype parts made as part of my job. As mentioned, the surface finish is more like fine sand casting. I've had zero luck trying to file/sand to get parts for appearance models so if you don't like the finish, it's not going to get better if you post process it. There may be some chemical options but I don't know what applicable here.

There are a fair number of materials available. Here's a page with the mechanical properties from Solid Concepts, one of the larger rapid prototype houses:

https://www.solidconcepts.com/sls-materials.html

wallymann
08-10-2012, 07:48 PM
it is very well made, snugs down solidly when installing, feels strong and robust in use.

the rough texture is great, i wouldnt change it.

tolerances are perfect - CPU snaps in firmly and fits snugly with no slop or rattle whatsoever.

I also like the low profile aspect of the forward arm's profile -- its not so thick or bulky (the way the way the Barfly appears) -- my ergo cables exit from the bar-wrap towards the front, so this 'thinness' works perfectly without affecting the routing.

dave thompson
08-10-2012, 08:06 PM
:fight:Greetings everyone, I am the creator of the FlipLoc mounts and wanted to take a moment to answer everyone’s questions.

As some people have mentioned, the nut slides into a pocket that gets concealed once mounted on the handlebars. The pocket can be seen in the drawing included in some of the pictures on this thread. It has just enough interference so the nut doesn’t fall out during installation, yet can be pushed into place by hand without much effort. This partially hexagonal pocket is concentric with a through hole that the bolt goes through.

The material is nylon and is manufactured with a process called Selective Laser Sintering (SLS). Yes, it really is made with lasers. SLS allows for the creation of features that are difficult or impossible to create with tradition techniques. The pocket for the nut, hollowed mid-section, and the two-sided Garmin mount area are all examples of features that would challenge conventional
manufacturing methods. One down-side often mentioned with SLS is the
rougher surface finish. It is an aesthetic challenge that we are still working on
and hope to improve in the future.

Are you saying that a Garmin can be mounted on either side of your FlipLoc, top or bottom?

Design Cycles
08-10-2012, 10:32 PM
:fight:

Are you saying that a Garmin can be mounted on either side of your FlipLoc, top or bottom?

Yes, the Garmin can be mounted on either side. This feature gives the FlipLoc STD - 31.8mm mount the ability to be placed on either side of the stem. However, the FlipLoc Aero - 22.2mm has the most to gain from this feature. With a crowded cockpit and other things like a possible water bottle, flexible mounting locations on the aerobars is a huge benefit. I've added a few extra pictures to the Ebay listing linked below that shows the mount being used on both sides:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251124768494#ht_500wt_1414

mike p
08-10-2012, 11:46 PM
All I can find on eBay is the 22.2? No 31.8?

Mike

Kontact
08-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Anyone else think that expensive electronics held on a long plastic arm off the front of a bouncy bicycle might be poor risk management?

wallymann
08-11-2012, 07:09 AM
no worse than securing same device with rubber bands! ;)

Anyone else think that expensive electronics held on a long plastic arm off the front of a bouncy bicycle might be poor risk management?

mike p
08-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Nope, the barfly works quite well and I have no fear of losing it even off road. I'd like to try the fliploc but can't find it anywhere in 31.8.

Mike

QUOTE=Kontact;1186328]Anyone else think that expensive electronics held on a long plastic arm off the front of a bouncy bicycle might be poor risk management?[/QUOTE]

Design Cycles
08-11-2012, 08:55 PM
All I can find on eBay is the 22.2? No 31.8?

Mike

Mike, demand has been overwhelming. We sold out very fast, but the next lot will be available Aug 18-22. Look on my website or Ebay in about a week. Cheers.

Design Cycles
08-21-2012, 09:07 PM
the FlipLoc mounts are in. Save money and get them direct through our website. $35 free shipping.

www.designcycles.net

beeatnik
08-21-2012, 11:44 PM
That thing looks like crap. I bet it works great.

quickfeet
08-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Not to be rude or to stir the pot, but why are these plastic mounts between $35-$40? K-edge makes its mounts from alloy for $40 too, which seems to be more durable in the long run. I am interested in a mount for my 500 but $40 seems really steep for 13g of plastic.

If someone more informed than I could explain the costs associated with manufacturing these, I would appreciate it.

Louis
08-22-2012, 12:46 AM
$40 seems really steep for 13g of plastic

The cost of the raw material is rarely the seller's only cost.

ofcounsel
08-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Not to be rude or to stir the pot, but why are these plastic mounts between $35-$40? K-edge makes its mounts from alloy for $40 too, which seems to be more durable in the long run. I am interested in a mount for my 500 but $40 seems really steep for 13g of plastic.

If someone more informed than I could explain the costs associated with manufacturing these, I would appreciate it.

Seems to be selling quite a few for $35-40 dollars, so maybe the market is saying the price is right?.:confused:

And I think the same "cost of materials" argument could be said for just about every high end carbon fiber frame.... Isn't carbon, like really abundant here on earth?? :)

mvrider
08-22-2012, 07:42 AM

These are fabricated by SLS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_laser_sintering), aka stereolithography or 3D printing, in which the plastic is built up layer by layer. It's typically used for prototyping, not for mass production. The machine is expensive, and the formation of the 3D object takes a long time.

Some features, such as the hidden nut cavity, would have to be changed to enable injection molding, which is very fast and cheap, but necessitates high sales volumes to justify the expensive molds & tooling.

http://www.custompartnet.com/wu/images/rapid-prototyping/sls.png

Ramjm_2000
08-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Greetings everyone, I am the creator of the FlipLoc mounts and wanted to take a moment to answer everyone’s questions.

The material is nylon and is manufactured with a process called Selective Laser Sintering (SLS). Yes, it really is made with lasers. SLS allows for the creation of features that are difficult or impossible to create with tradition techniques. The pocket for the nut, hollowed mid-section, and the two-sided Garmin mount area are all examples of features that would challenge conventional manufacturing methods. One down-side often mentioned with SLS is the rougher surface finish. It is an aesthetic challenge that we are still working on and hope to improve in the future.

The FlipLoc is available in two versions. The FlipLoc STD – 31.8mm is for standard handlebars and the FlipLoc Aero – 22.2mm is for aerobars. Both mounts fit the Edge 500 and 200, but the Edge 800 is too large. The incompatibility of with the Edge 800 was a tough decision, but ultimately driven by a desire to keep the mount compact and low so the Garmin sits flush and close to the handlebars.

A large number of local riders ranging from club riders to pro racers have been riding with the mount for some time now. It has been exciting to go to group rides and races and see nearly half the field with the FlipLoc mounts. I thought about designing this mount long before the first competitors came on the market. Ultimately, I shelved the idea until I saw the Barfly. I had a few different ideas and pen to paper to prototype to production has brought me to the point where I can provide mounts to others. It has been an awesome project.

Both versions of the mounts are currently available in a few bike shops and online with Ebay. A website (www.designcycles.net) is also going live in the next few days and we are considering direct sales through that as well. Enjoy the ride and let me know if you have questions or comments.

Any thoughts about doing a mount for the Garmin 705 and varients? Seems there ought to be a decent amount of 205-705 users out there wanting a similiar mount.

Z3c
09-05-2012, 06:51 PM
I am new to having a Garmin and was using their mount for the first few weeks but quickly grew tired of rubber bands on my stems. Bought a barfly; works, holds the unit out where it is easier seen and sweat doesn't land on it. Bought a K-Edge; obviously same function as the Barfly but IMHO a whole different level of perceived quality. Ability to move the unit fore/aft is nice, centers nicely. Mostly though it holds the unit very securely; no issue/fear of pushing too hard on a button while riding and having the unit move or pop out. I like the minimal band which is less visible since it mostly below the bar. K-Edge seems more secure, less visible and more adjustable; I will be ordering another K-Edge and selling my Barfly.

Keith A
09-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but there is also the Quarg...
http://nyvelocity.com/content/equipment/2012/garmin-mounts-barfly-vs-quarq

jazznap
09-06-2012, 04:34 PM
The flip-loc and the k-edge sure look nice, but the prices add up fast if you use your garmin on multiple bikes. Knock on wood, my rubber bands are holding strong without spending the $100-150 on outfitting all my bikes.

wallymann
09-06-2012, 06:12 PM
fwiw...i have both a barfly and fliploc. both are well made, but i prefer the fliploc. it puts the cpu a little lower and more inline with the bars (looks cleaner) and the clamping area is more low-profile along with allowing ambidextrous mounting (less potential for interference with cables).

again, both are very well made and neither is a bad choice!

Lionel
09-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Just ordered that fliplock for the Crumpton.... Will keep the rubber bands on other bikes for now :banana:

Design Cycles
09-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Just ordered that fliplock for the Crumpton.... Will keep the rubber bands on other bikes for now :banana:

Lionel, I'm glad you like it. I also saw your post on Veloptimal. My French isn't the best, but thanks for putting in a good word for us. By the way, your Crumpton looks great. Let us know when you're ready for FlipLoc mounts on your other bikes. We will have some exciting upgrades available soon.
www.designcycles.net

Lionel
10-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Lionel, I'm glad you like it. I also saw your post on Veloptimal. My French isn't the best, but thanks for putting in a good word for us. By the way, your Crumpton looks great. Let us know when you're ready for FlipLoc mounts on your other bikes. We will have some exciting upgrades available soon.
www.designcycles.net

I am ready, are the second, third, fourth and fifth cheaper :)

dave thompson
10-01-2012, 01:22 AM
www.designcycles.net
Don't keep us in suspenders, let us in on it!

lhuerta
10-01-2012, 09:24 AM
And yet another...Garmin has finally created their own out-mount.
Here are some details:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-out-front-bike-mount/

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=114881

Lionel
10-01-2012, 09:29 AM
The reason why I went with the fliploc is that it is NOT compatible with the edge 800 and therefore puts the 500 closer eo the bar.

Z3c
10-01-2012, 09:49 AM
I have now had a few weeks with the K-Edge and it is great. The ability to move fore/aft is nice for getting to a natural view location. Very solid in the way it holds the unit, you can push buttons with no concerns. I think it is just the best of the current lot; from the pics it doesn't look like the new Garmin holder moves fore/aft and if it allows space for an 800, a 500 is going to be pretty far forward.

Lionel
10-08-2012, 01:01 AM
www.designcycles.net

BTW, someone from veloptimal ordered and they have not received theirs after 3 weeks. Mine showed up in a week. You may want to look into it.

Design Cycles
10-08-2012, 08:58 PM
BTW, someone from veloptimal ordered and they have not received theirs after 3 weeks. Mine showed up in a week. You may want to look into it.

I've talked to him and it is likely a delay in customs. Customs for international shipments seems to be my only trouble. Unfortunately, I can't control it. We'll take care of him. Thanks for the heads up.

Design Cycles
10-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Don't keep us in suspenders, let us in on it!

Dave, We have two new models coming out. Just like the previous models, there will be one for standard 31.8mm handlebars and another for 22.2mm aerobars. The big difference is they will both be compatible with the Garmin Edge 800/500/200 and the Forerunner 310XT/910XT.

All mounts will also come standard with anodized red aluminum hardware, which has already begun on the current FlipLoc STD 31.8mm. The price of $35 with free shipping will remain the same.

Check out our FB page for a sneak peek at some spy photos.
www.facebook.com/DesignCycles

Design Cycles
12-30-2012, 07:58 PM
We now have a new model available for the Edge 800 and all of our items are on sale through the end of the year. Visit our site for more details. www.designcycles.net

thirdgenbird
12-30-2012, 08:20 PM
We now have a new model available for the Edge 800 and all of our items are on sale through the end of the year. Visit our site for more details. www.designcycles.net

Any plans for a 26mm garmin 500 mount?

Design Cycles
01-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Any plans for a 26mm garmin 500 mount?

I've been seeing this question more frequently lately. I'll do a little research and see if it is viable. Check out our FB page for updates.