PDA

View Full Version : Care of leather gloves?

67-59
08-07-2012, 04:23 PM
I recently got my first pair of Rapha gloves, and am looking for input on care.

The website gives some general information -- wash by hand (I get that), "mild detergent," and "massage leather treatment into the leather" when almost dry. I'm mostly curious what types of detergents people use to get these clean and and still supple (and keep them lasting long), and what type of "leather treatment" people use (if any).

Thanks...and sorry to those I may have offended by using the "R word."

choke
08-07-2012, 06:06 PM
The maker of my motorcycle gloves recommends using some mild dish soap; mix with lukewarm water, submerge the gloves and agitate by hand, rinse and dry. Be sure you let them air dry rather than use any kind of heat. You can slide some newspaper inside to help soak up the water but you have to change it a few times. There are also leather cleaning soaps available.

You do need to use some product to replenish the oils in the leather. I've had good luck with Lexol though if the gloves are a light color it will darken them. It is oil based so depending on what tanning agent was used it may not be the best choice. While I've not yet tried it, I know several people who think that Montana Pitch Blend is the best they've ever used.

crownjewelwl
08-07-2012, 06:15 PM
You gotta use the rapha soap...it smells of the flowers on ventoux

Any mild soap will do...think ivory...I believe the leather conditioner they recommend is called chelsea

Rest assured that whatever you put on them will likely be gentler than your sweat and grime

That said ive never had to wash mine

cfox
08-07-2012, 06:32 PM
The directions are listed under their soap, not the gloves. They used to recommend Chelsea Leather Food, but this is what is on their website now:

How to wash Rapha leather gloves and mitts:

Wearing gloves, apply small amount of soap to palms and front of the fingers.
Wash hands in cool water until residue is removed.
Remove and blot dry using a towel.
Put gloves on to reshape.
Remove and leave to dry fully.

I think their soap has enough oil in it so you don't need leather treatment anymore.

martinrjensen
08-07-2012, 07:05 PM
How long do your gloves last? I really think they will last longer if washed occasionally, and smell a lot less....
I've been washing mine every few rides in the summer and I still won't get a year out of them I'm sure.You gotta use the rapha soap...it smells of the flowers on ventoux

Any mild soap will do...think ivory...I believe the leather conditioner they recommend is called chelsea

Rest assured that whatever you put on them will likely be gentler than your sweat and grime

That said ive never had to wash mine

DRZRM
08-07-2012, 07:13 PM
I have to say that the fabric at the thumb and by the little finger is disintegrating on both pairs of my Rapha leather gloves long before the leather is at all worn These are the Rapha Team gloves with the leather palm and lycra back without velcro). I'm usually a Rapha fanboy, but these are a real letdown, two pairs being rotated since the winter and they are not going to last the year. The leather looks great though. I just ordered some Giro LX for replacement.

To the OP, any gentle leather conditioner should work, check you local cobbler.

crownjewelwl
08-07-2012, 07:20 PM
How long do your gloves last? I really think they will last longer if washed occasionally, and smell a lot less....
I've been washing mine every few rides in the summer and I still won't get a year out of them I'm sure.

I rotate between 2 pairs...ive had them a couple of seasons now

martinrjensen
08-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Well you are doing better than me. I'm trying to get a season out of mine. I think the summer is (ofcourse) especially hard on gloves. So far washing every 2 weeks or so has helped I think. I rotate between 2 pairs...ive had them a couple of seasons now

Jack Brunk
08-07-2012, 10:04 PM
NOT!

My top of the line Ralpha leather gloves lasted all of six weeks. Followed all cleaning directions and literally they fell apart. Biggest waste of money ever. I've been using castelli leather gloves and they have worked well.

rustychisel
08-08-2012, 12:54 AM
NOT!

My top of the line Ralpha leather gloves lasted all of six weeks. Followed all cleaning directions and literally they fell apart. Biggest waste of money ever. I've been using castelli leather gloves and they have worked well.

chafing!! Jack. We all told you to use lubricant!

But seriously, would you not be justified in taking it up with Rapha and pointing out this is *****ty performance by any reasonable measure?

Jack Brunk
08-08-2012, 09:20 AM
chafing!! Jack. We all told you to use lubricant!

But seriously, would you not be justified in taking it up with Rapha and pointing out this is *****ty performance by any reasonable measure?

I did in fact take it up with them and they didn't seem to really care too much. They basically said that my sweat was the cause. All I got was a big were sorry.

67-59
08-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. I guess the main lesson is to be very careful.

Vinci
08-08-2012, 02:23 PM
I am not sure how different Rapha's gloves might be, but I just machine wash and hang dry my Giro Zeros (unpadded leather). I do this every couple wearings, which ends up being 2-3 times per month, per pair. They have held up great for several years now.

pdmtong
08-08-2012, 10:13 PM
I wash my giro zeros in the front loader after every ride. hang dry...now going on a third season

I rinse my rapha pro mitts with fresh water after every ride and squeeze (not wring) them to shed excess water. then I hang them up and let them air dry. no issues yet...but only used about 25 times so far

R2D2
08-09-2012, 05:57 AM
I gave up on leather gloves. No matter what I did they eventually tore and fell apart. Seems the palm leather was fine but the leather used on the back seemed to always be too thin and would eventually fail.

67-59
08-09-2012, 04:27 PM
I tried Giro Zeroes before getting the Raphas.

I liked nearly everything about the Zeroes - the look, the fit, the feel, the sizing, the price. Nearly everything was perfect. Just wasn't crazy about the fact that the dye would turn my palms jet black every ride. And that dye was tenacious; no matter how much I washed, it made my hands look dirty for 2 or 3 days. I tried washing the gloves several times. They washed fine, but the dye still bled. No thanks.

I read that this issue was "fixed," but these were 2012 gloves. So much for a fix.

Haven't owned the Raphas long enough to know how they'll wear over time, but at least they don't dye my hands.

By the way, anyone here try the Dromarti gloves? They look great, and while expensive, they're cheaper than the Rapha Grand Tour gloves. I'd appreciate any comments....

Alchemy Rider
08-09-2012, 05:39 PM
I use liquid hand soap to clean my white Grand Tours. When almost dry I rub in some leather conditioning cream (recommended by the local shoe repair shop).

About 140 hours of use so far including some rainy rides. The gloves are holding up very well.

Johnnyg
08-09-2012, 06:35 PM
I recently got my first pair of Rapha gloves, and am looking for input on care.

The website gives some general information -- wash by hand (I get that), "mild detergent," and "massage leather treatment into the leather" when almost dry. I'm mostly curious what types of detergents people use to get these clean and and still supple (and keep them lasting long), and what type of "leather treatment" people use (if any).

Thanks...and sorry to those I may have offended by using the "R word."
Rapha makes a conditioner that works well. Rapha has sent me new mitts when mine fell apart. Neats Foot oil works for me. Love the Rapha mitts Good luck.

rustychisel
08-09-2012, 07:31 PM
I've said it before and it's a bit 'so what' because they don't make them anymore, but Adidas with faux leather they call 'Adiprene'. Freaking good, and indestructible

trfkas
08-09-2012, 07:49 PM
my 2011 rapha long finger pro mitts died very quickly as well...

i did everything they asked in regards to care...i suggest being extra careful to get the most out of them...

got the giros but have yet to use them yet...but everyone i know who has a set praises them...

cfox
08-09-2012, 08:15 PM
my 2011 rapha long finger pro mitts died very quickly as well...

i did everything they asked in regards to care...i suggest being extra careful to get the most out of them...

got the giros but have yet to use them yet...but everyone i know who has a set praises them...

Weirdness.... I have a pair of those (the raphas) I can't kill. I choppped wood in them last fall in addition to covering them with snot while on the bike.

Keith A
08-10-2012, 12:09 AM
That is some interesting information about the Giro Zero gloves holding up so well. I recently gave these a try and only wore these on my Saturday group rides and would wash them by hand occasionally. It only took four to five months before the palms were coming apart at the base on one of them. I was planning on contacting Giro about this as I did like the gloves.

victoryfactory
08-10-2012, 06:51 AM
OK
I have been trying to control myself since this thread started,
But I cant take it any more....

jemoryl
08-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Leather cycling gloves suck. The Santini gel gloves are nice: 100% polyester, wash after every ride so they smell nice. Comfortable and long lasting.