PDA

View Full Version : most comfortable road drop bars?

monkey1
08-07-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm looking for the most comfortable drop bars available, and I want all of your opinions.

So far I'm thinking the FSA compacts look the best.

Let me know what you all think!

Thanks!

David Kirk
08-07-2012, 10:16 AM
After trying a number of different bars i've become a fan of the Deda Zero 100. They just fit my hands.

dave

mbakes
08-07-2012, 10:29 AM
I use the FSA K Wing Compact and find them to be very comfortable. I really like that the top of the bar is flat and is a comfortable surface for me to rest my hands. I think handlebars need to be tried, if possible. There are so many factors which will determine which bar one person does or doesn't like.

Uncle Jam's Army
08-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Here's another vote for the FSA K-Wing Compacts.

EDS
08-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Hard to pick the most comofrtable as this is subjective and really a matter of personal preference, but I like the Ritchey Curve best of the bars I have tried.

christian
08-07-2012, 10:35 AM
They may be the most comfortable for you, but they certainly don't "look the best." They look terrible.

I'd go with 3TTT Rotundos or Nitto 176s. If you have to have that compact drop 3TTT Ergosums are the least offensive looking.

zandrrr
08-07-2012, 10:41 AM
I really dig the new Specialized Tarmac bars (http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/components/roadhandlebars/compalloytarmachandlebar), and the alloy version is cheap too!

Charles M
08-07-2012, 10:49 AM
They're made by the company that makes the most comfortable saddle and can give you the best online bike fit!

nooneline
08-07-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm really into Pro Vibe 7S Round.
It's a round bar, but not a classic bend. It's a short-reach for good ramping to the hoods, slightly deep so not a compact drop at all. Basically, it just improves on the design of a classic bend.

eddief
08-07-2012, 11:06 AM
the bend on each is really similar, but the carbonated ones have a flatter transition from stem clamp around to the hoods. Love the bend on both and my hands seem to like the the subtle tube shape better on the carbon version. I use two layers of tape from stem clamp around to the hoods.

559Rando
08-07-2012, 11:09 AM
I love my Nitto Noodle bars.
If you're saying you like compact, though, you might check out the SOMA Highway One bar.
FWIW, Jan Heine recommends narrow bars: http://janheine.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/handlebar-width/

Aaron_Kellogg
08-07-2012, 11:25 AM
3t rotundos are by far the best bars. They're a sharp looking comfortable bar perfect for climbing or sprinting. I ride them on both of my bikes.

firerescuefin
08-07-2012, 11:31 AM
3t rotundos are by far the best bars

:rolleyes:

katematt
08-07-2012, 11:46 AM
+1 on the TTT Ergosum - great bars.

54ny77
08-07-2012, 12:07 PM
agreed!

i swapped out bars on every bike of mine for the 7s round.

and boy are they stiff too (i have the aluminum version; presume the carbons are just as stiff).

It's a round bar, but not a classic bend. It's a short-reach for good ramping to the hoods, slightly deep so not a compact drop at all. Basically, it just improves on the design of a classic bend.

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Deda Newton, shallow. Systematically changed every bike to the Dedas. Sweet spot is the top to hood curve. Just fits. Look classic, ta' boot. IMO, of course.

Hartlin
08-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Good old Ritchey Classics for me, in a 44. Like the loooong flat section of the drops. Can spend most of my ride in them if I have to.

DHallerman
08-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Deda Newton, shallow. Systematically changed every bike to the Dedas. Sweet spot is the top to hood curve. Just fits. Look classic, ta' boot. IMO, of course.

I agree. Really, really like the Deda Newton bars, either shallow or ergonomic.

But the basic OP question about what are the most comfortable road drop bars seems almost like asking, "Who should I marry?"

Or, at least, almost like asking "What is the most comfortable saddle?"

In all three cases, the answers are so subjective as to be, I believe, not very useful.

Dave, who thinks the person you should marry should also be someone who likes to cycle

christian
08-07-2012, 12:39 PM
I think it's more like "what's the best shade of green."

beeatnik
08-07-2012, 12:43 PM
If you're saying you like compact, though, you might check out the SOMA Highway One bar.
FWIW, Jan Heine recommends narrow bars: http://janheine.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/handlebar-width/

I love the SOMAs. They're great with campy hoods.

In terms of comfort, aesthetics, weight and performance, IMO, the Deda Zero 100 bars are the jam. The looks of a classic drop, stiffness of an oversized bar and the advantages of 75mm reach. I'm only in the drops for descents and 1000 watt efforts. Isn't that the case with the pros anyhoo:

The Deda Zero 100 handlebar is the go-to aluminum option for folks intrigued by Deda's Rapid Hand Movement (RHM) design initiative. Deda noticed that more pro riders have been raising their saddle in relation to their bars. As a result, it seemed that riders were spending less time on their drops. So, rather than raise the bars, something a rider might be loath to do because she likes the position of the tops for climbing, they shortened both the drop and the reach of the bars. Shorter than a traditional shallow drop handlebar. The position is designed to allow for a super quick change of hand position from the tops to the drops.

This bar is an iteration of RHM that appeals to traditionalists. The drop is a fairly round curve, though the radius of the curve is tighter at the top and increases as it goes down. It isn't quite a traditional even radius that you'd find on Deda's deep or shallow traditional-style drop bars, but it is still fairly round.

DHallerman
08-07-2012, 12:47 PM

Oh, that's easy.

British Racing Green.

[a color that deserves initial caps]

beeatnik
08-07-2012, 12:51 PM
oh, that's easy.

British racing green.

[a color that deserves initial caps]

+1

Ti Designs
08-07-2012, 12:53 PM
...and I want all of your opinions...

Where do I start???

false_Aest
08-07-2012, 01:23 PM
you definitely want these
(http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/handlebars/vo-montmartre-handlebar.html)

FlashUNC
08-07-2012, 01:39 PM
I really like the Deda Big Piega (which they sadly no longer seem to make). But I'm also a fan of Ritchey's stuff.

martinrjensen
08-07-2012, 02:31 PM
+1 on Nitto Noodle. A very classic looking bar. 3TTT Grand Prix also great. I have them both and they look great ons my steel bikes. I love my Nitto Noodle bars.

beeatnik
08-07-2012, 02:52 PM
you definitely want these
(http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/handlebars/vo-montmartre-handlebar.html)

Good one, brah.

rugbysecondrow
08-07-2012, 03:18 PM
+1 on Nitto Noodle. A very classic looking bar. 3TTT Grand Prix also great. I have them both and they look great ons my steel bikes.

Nitto noodle, and they come in bigger sizes.

veloduffer
08-07-2012, 03:40 PM
I like the flats in a thin flatten shape, so I'm partial to the Zipp Contour SL and FSA SL-K handlebars. I tried the 3T Rotundo, but their flat section is much thicker than the Zipp and FSA.

Gat64
08-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Not to complicate the discussion, but not all bars have the dual cable grooves I think. Should this not play a role with the decision depending upon which groupo is used?

Oh, and I love my ITM Ergals.

Germany_chris
08-07-2012, 03:59 PM

OD Green!!

I like these:

monkey1
08-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Man, I didn't except this many responses! I really appreciate all of your input!

sevencyclist
08-07-2012, 07:36 PM
I like the Easton EC90 SLX3. Many claim that carbon does not contribute to comfort, but personally for me, I felt significant difference to take the risk of carbon over aluminum (Oval Concept , Deda 215, and Salsa bar) that I had. And this is coming from me who rides a steel frame. YMMV

pdmtong
08-07-2012, 07:56 PM
riitchey evocurve or evolution

- ovalized flats for wider grip and more support when climbing. no sharp trailing edge like the FS k-wings

- flat transition from flats to curve to hoods. plays nice with campy, shimano or sram

- curved or anatomic drop - your choice

carbon if you want bling, now available also in aluminum.....

IMHO carbon is nice since flats can be shaped....some models also available more cost effectively in alumiinum

false_Aest
08-07-2012, 08:03 PM
i give up.

how is this helping you exactly?

yes, i'm being snarky but its a serious question.

how does recommending a bar w/out knowing anything about you/your riding help?

cuz right now i'm imagining a tiny monkey in a hat riding a tricycle and i'm trying to come up with the best bar for stability when you pedal with your hands and steer with your feet.

Gat64
08-07-2012, 08:04 PM

This bar looks interesting - noneline, can you tell me if you are using this with Campy?

slidey
08-07-2012, 08:09 PM
I'd suggest you figure out if you have a strong preference for one kind of bars over the other, between ergo and rounded, and go from there. This is just one of the parameters though as someone already pointed out.

I, personally have a strong dislike for the ergo bend and so I run the 3T Rotundo Pro's. I love it.

OtayBW
08-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Modolo Curvissima - love'em.

fuzzalow
08-07-2012, 09:43 PM
The most comfortable bar is any handlebar on a bike where the fit is correct and the weight balance of your position is correct. Because once you have that correct, then there is very little weight thrown forward onto your hands.

Then the only thing to decide is where you want the shift levers to be located based on how you like to shift & where. And only you can know the answer to that. So pick a bar and have a go.

oldpotatoe
08-08-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm looking for the most comfortable drop bars available, and I want all of your opinions.

Let me know what you all think!

Thanks!

Define 'most comfortable'. In other words, like saddles and bicycle frames and forks, and ........etc., it is subjective and what works for me(I find my deep drop TTT Merckx bend handlebars VERY comfortable) may not work for you.

Looking for deep drop, shallow drop, short reach, long reach, anatomic, classic bend...what problem are you trying to solve?

Ti Designs
08-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Any bar with guinness on tap...

zap
08-08-2012, 08:29 AM
snip

The most comfortable bar is any handlebar on a bike where the fit is correct and the weight balance of your position is correct. Because once you have that correct, then there is very little weight thrown forward onto your hands.

True to a point.

For me, wrist angle in the drops during hard out of the saddle efforts is important.

Also drop. I find the hoods need to be at a certain height for tempo & out of saddle 'hood climbing but need more drop so my elbows don't bend too much when the back is flat with the ground.

Traditional bend bars are ok for me as I can adjust the bottom flat angle but find my hands are positioned a bit too far back. I can deal with having my hands further forward in the bend but prefer a more "ergo"feel. Bars with a flat 45 degree "ergo" section just aren't angled right for my wrist.

I prefer bars that are deeper than the norm that have a gradual sweep (nominal angle of around 30 degrees) up and around to the hoods. A nice, flatfish, longer transition to the hoods is also a plus.

My go to bar too date is the Zipp Contour bar. I would prefer more drop so I will see what's available the next time I go shopping.

So, as someone posted earlier, it's personal. It took me some time (plus the needs of a less than perfect wrist-a result from a crash) to find what I liked.

Ti buying a round?

Have fun.

coffeecake
08-08-2012, 08:33 AM
I like 3T rotundo. They have a shallow drop that fits me very well. Also, 3t ergosums are great bars... Or Easton EC90s: http://www.onetri.com/easton-ec90-aero-road-pi-3599.html?image=0

alancw3
08-08-2012, 09:31 AM
i find the easton ec90 aero bar very comfortable. ever since switching to it two bikes ago i find myself riding in the drops most of the time except for extreme climbing. actually in 40 years of riding i have never spent so much time in the drops. go figure at 64 years old.

Grant McLean
08-08-2012, 10:09 AM
good reading, informed by many past discussions here and across the hall.

http://ruedatropical.com/2009/03/road-drop-bar-geometry/

firerescuefin
08-08-2012, 10:19 AM
good reading, informed by many past discussions here and across the hall.

http://ruedatropical.com/2009/03/road-drop-bar-geometry/

Grant..had never viewed that...thanks for reposting. Thanks to RT for researching and writing.

NRRider
08-08-2012, 11:08 AM
While we're on the subject, anyone know of a bar with ~75mm reach but a 130mm+ drop? I like my FSA compacts but the drop is too shallow and I could use an even shorter reach.

Bob Ross
08-08-2012, 01:23 PM
I really like the Deda Big Piega

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu144/Dildo-Boy/this.jpg

christian
08-08-2012, 01:28 PM
While we're on the subject, anyone know of a bar with ~75mm reach but a 130mm+ drop?
Cinelli 64 (138mm drop)
Cinelli 66 (159mm drop)

Obviously the ramp will be steeper than those new ergocompact bars.

NRRider
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Cinelli 64 (138mm drop)
Cinelli 66 (159mm drop)

Obviously the ramp will be steeper than those new ergocompact bars.
Funny that you mention the 64--I have a set of those on my steel Marinoni but didn't even think about using my extra set (don't ask) on my carbon bike. Will give that some thought.
really do prefer something with a flat top though (similar to the Wing Pro compact).

1happygirl
08-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Grant..had never viewed that...thanks for reposting. Thanks to RT for researching and writing.

Awesome ditto! I learned much

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-09-2012, 05:22 AM
Modolo Curvissima - love'em.

*1. Just on the cool name.