PDA

View Full Version : When will we be satisfied?

Tmogul
09-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Its that time of year and interbike will showcase the best of the best and prototypes for future wonder bikes. I'm wondering though how much better bikes can actually get. I can see them getting lighter and stronger but I don't see them performing much better than a top notch frame today. Absorption capabilities and stiffness will always be at odds and a rigid road frame will never be as comfortable as a full suspension bike. Also as somebody mentioned on this forum no matter how comfortable a bike is after so many hours your body will be in pain.

So if the dream custom bike fits perfectly and the feel is as desired due to the geometry and materials chosen (carbon, ti, steel, etc) then why don't we stay satisfied with the frame and just upgrade components as they break down? I remember reading about a pro team complaining mid season about how their frames were feeling dead and needed to be replaced. So the director would secretly send the old frames back for a fresh paint job and pass them off as brand new and the riders were happy once again.

I guess those of you who have been on this forum for quite a while can easily see the progression of reviews from one year's top model frame to the next year's best. I know I thought my cannondale would be my end all bike and after 5 yrs I'm back in the market looking at custom. I hope the custom frame will bring years and years of enjoyment before I get sucked in again. :)

By the way who here has the longest running "monogamous relationship" with a bike (primary bike...not just one that was stowed away in the garage)?

And for those of you who collect all sorts of different bikes (dbrk, dnovo, climb).....we all can't be so fortunate but we can always dream.

BumbleBeeDave
09-25-2005, 08:52 PM
. . . for 17 years until I got the Queen Bee. When I went out shopping I was TOTALLY clueless because the Vitus didn’t even have indexed shifting!

BBDave

vaxn8r
09-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Tmogul...you're such a skeptic! ;) .....Nice post however.

Froze doesn't come around much anymore but last I heard he was still putting miles on his '84 Trek.

david
09-25-2005, 09:04 PM
I rode the same Ron Cooper with full Super Record from 1981 to 2003. After 20+ years of fidelity, I finally decided to get a new bike with index shifting, ten-speed cassette, the works. Since then, I've bought 7 new bikes and countless other stuff. Kinda like the guy who's been married for decades and then finds himself single. Besides, I don't drink, don't smoke, and don't do drugs. What's left besides bikes?

dirtdigger88
09-25-2005, 10:19 PM
I rode the same Ron Cooper with full Super Record from 1981 to 2003. After 20+ years of fidelity, I finally decided to get a new bike with index shifting, ten-speed cassette, the works. Since then, I've bought 7 new bikes and countless other stuff. Kinda like the guy who's been married for decades and then finds himself single. Besides, I don't drink, don't smoke, and don't do drugs. What's left besides bikes?

have you tried chicken choking?

http://members.tripod.com/~mikelil/chokechick.gif

Jason

Argos
09-25-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm ashamed, I'm a whore. I go through bikes like a sailor on leave... I tend to keep My Mtn bikes for a long time (relatively) and I had one road bike for 12 years.

It's just, you know, all the pretty colors...... That and I am fortunate to have a wife that bears with my addiction to allow for more bikes.

Tmogul
09-26-2005, 12:01 AM
Vax,
I'll probably be eating my words in the near future when liquid metal or something truely high-tech comes along. I'm not as much of a skeptic as I am a person trying to justify a big purchase while convincing myself that its the last one. :D (I do want to quit the upgrade game for a long while though and just enjoy the ride)

Bbdave......you did your old bike proud.

Sorry for calling out all you "bike whores". You know what they say....its always good to be "loose" on a bike and if you really have to be unfaithful then its better with a bike than a mistress. :p

Doc Austin
09-26-2005, 01:29 AM
After what I spent, if something better has come out, I don't want to know about it.

Well, for awhile.................anyway.