PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: Build cyclocross bike

nyc951
08-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Hi all,

I found out about this forum last weekend and this is my first post. I'm hoping to learn from you and contribute to this awesome resource. I used to ride a lot in college and now look forward to picking the sport back up.

I'm looking to buy/build a reliable bike that I can do family rides and eventually go on longer rides with. I think pulling a kiddie trailer or weedoo is in my near future :) I already have a road and mountain bike, so I'm now looking to get a cx bike. I love the way they look and think they'll be a happy compromise for what I need.

I found a used cx rig that needs shifters, cables, derailleurs, pedals, and maybe wheels. What would you recommend? It seems Shimano 105 parts are solid and economical. I also want the upper-mounted brake levers, similar to those on a MTB.

Does anyone have the aforementioned parts that they want to part with? I'm ok with used, as long as they are in excellent working condition.

Can you recommend any threads/resources to help me install the components? I can change timing belts, brakes, etc on a car, and maintained my bikes in the past, so I feel up to the task, but just need directions.

Thanks all in advance.

false_Aest
08-06-2012, 08:16 PM
shimano 105 or their CX stuff is awesome.

so is Sram Rival + apex. I have no reason to bash Campy... I just don't ride it so can't comment.

installation help can be found on park tools' website and from the mfg's websites as well (e.g. shimano tech doc PDFs).

if you want used parts throw a post in the classifides section.

choke
08-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Welcome. A CX is probably a decent choice for what you want. You should be aware that there are full on 'race' CX bikes and less race oriented ones and you want to be looking at the latter. Geometry, BB drop and bottle braze-ons will help give you a clue.

I'd say go Campy but that's me. :) 105 is should be fine.

There's a wealth of information on bike repair/maintenance at Park Tool (http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help).

nyc951
08-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys.

Looks like I don't have sufficient privileges to post in the Classifieds section yet. But please let me know if anyone wants to sell some parts.

Also, since I'm looking for a steel bike, should I bother with the "frame saver" liquid stuff?

Cheers

gavingould
08-06-2012, 09:21 PM
105 is perfectly fine. I've been racing with Rival for a couple years, before that I ran some old 9sp Ultegra.

azrider
08-06-2012, 09:35 PM
But please let me know if anyone wants to sell some parts.

Theres a sweeeeeet limited edition Lance Armstrong helmet for sale. :rolleyes:

Welcome dude. Stick around.....go w/ 105 and fhuggetaboutit

oliver1850
08-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Sounds like you need a good chunk of the drivetrain. If you're going to piece it together, I recommend you decide on the shifters first. They will be the most expensive single component, aside from (maybe) wheels. Find a good deal on whatever fits your priorities. I really think you can build a bike with Campagnolo at a very competitive cost to 105, with the added plus of being able to service the shifters (if you can put enough miles on them to wear them out). Not knocking Shimano, I'd also be looking at Tiagra for what you want to do. You might consider bar end shifters. You can sometimes find used Campy 9/10 for around $75, and they will work forever. Shimano is around the same price (or a bit cheaper on a good day), maybe not as reliable long term, but have friction mode as a backup if the indexing fails.

If you need wheels too, I'd look at both shifters and wheels at the same time. Find the best deal that's compatible. The derailleurs and other parts will be comparatively easy decisions. You can add the bar top brake levers to any setup.

Can't hurt to use the Frame Saver. Another forum member recently bought a nice steel frame only to find a rust hole in the bottom of the top tube. I'd bet money that frame had never seen Frame Saver.

Aaron_Kellogg
08-06-2012, 10:13 PM
I've been using sram rival on my CX bike for the last two years and couldn't be more happy with it. It's very functional and inexpensive enough that you won't feel bad putting it through the grinder of cyclocross.

I've heard complaints about shifting issues with the newer shimano shifters in more muddy/wet type conditions but can't speak to that personally.

As far as frames go you can go a few different routes. I'd recommend finding something that isn't too aggressive or race oriented but could be raced if the bug bites you (which it probably will). Good luck with your search!

559Rando
08-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I think the CX bikes are a fair compromise, but a touring bike might be OK, too.

Components add up fast, even when buying used and if this is your first bike in a long time, I'd recommend buying one that's complete, ready to use. You'll want to spend your time riding, not wrenching and you might not be sure of the fit if you're buying an incomplete bike (tho changes can be made, of course to stems, seaposts, saddle positions).

105 is good stuff, but you'd save a few bucks going with Tiagra and honestly, you might not notice much difference. Another cool shifter option is the Retroshift.

Also, you can easily add those "cross" levers to almost any drop bar set up.

Maybe one of those recent Specialized Sequoias would be OK for you from the get-go.

559Rando
08-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Just another bit to add, though you know yourself better than me, I think that most guys replace their "first" bike so you might make that part of your decision: Plan on learning from the first bike and then getting a better replacement down the road.

false_Aest
08-07-2012, 12:29 PM
There is no reason not to use frame savour.

Also 559R makes a good point about replacing your first bike.

My first CX frame was a bargain Nashbar frame. For $100 it was well worth it. The parts then just transferred to the next frame.

DAG
08-07-2012, 12:42 PM
I think Ribble has Campy Veloce and Shimano 105 for 475-525.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pu/road-track-bike/groupsets/groupset/1