PDA

View Full Version : wiggins argues for helmets

wc1934
08-06-2012, 07:17 PM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetorch/2012/08/05/158157572/britains-wiggins-starts-a-row-by-arguing-for-bike-helmets

If you're stupid enough to be deterred from cycling because you have to wear a helmet, you shouldn't be allowed outside anyway - my 2 cents on this subject - kidding (kinda)

bikinchris
08-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Sorry Wiggo. Helmets do nothing against olympic buses. Nor loaded cement trucks etc.
Helmets help against what they were designed for. Regular crashes. The most often kind.

EDUCATION of both drivers and cyclists will do the most to reduce crashes. That's the most we can do.

How many people on this board can name three most common car caused and bike caused crashes without a google search? (In other words, what should you never do and watch the most for?)

Some people say build more paths. Bike paths do little or nothing to reduce crashes. Crashes happen where traffic crosses 9 times out of 10.

That said, I would never ride without one.

Steelman
08-06-2012, 08:12 PM
He gets paid to wear a helmet. He is pandering to his sponsors.

If he feels so strongly about the issue, he should donate some of his millions to folks in Britian who cannot afford helmets, and people who live in third world countries of the Common Wealth of Britain who need them so desperately.

FlashUNC
08-06-2012, 08:17 PM
He gets paid to wear a helmet. He is pandering to his sponsors.

The UCI has also required helmets be worn since Andrei Kivilev died a decade ago.

Steelman
08-06-2012, 08:19 PM
The UCI has also required helmets be worn since Andrei Kivilev died a decade ago.

I realize that, but sponsors want them worn in training too.

Remember the mountain top finishes of the Tour where anxious riders handed-off the helmets to the team car?