PDA

View Full Version : Flight Deck Error Reading

keno
02-23-2004, 08:07 AM
At some point during a ride on Saturday my Shimano Flight Deck average speed function began reading "err". All other functions, including miles and time, worked properly throughout the ride. Anyone had this problem? I fear it indicates a problem with the chip and not fixable.

Will ride later today and have a chance to test the function again.

keno

lurker
02-23-2004, 10:50 AM
This happened to me once when the computer was only a few months old. I've had it for over a year now and it hasn't happened again. A glitch I guess but nothing I'd worry about. There was nothing notable about my ride. Temerature was above freezing and it happened about an hour in to the ride. I thought about emailing Shimano so they could check their code for bugs, but it's not really my style, being the lurker and all.
- Mark (the lurker)

p.s. - I decided to finally post after a year and a half of lurking. Don't expect it to happen again. ;)

Sandy
02-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Keno,

I am sorry to have to tell you this, but I know what the err means-It is a somwhat subtle message. err stands for expecting road racer. The computer's expectations were not met, and it decided not to expend the necessary energy to determine your rather low avg speed. A built in program in the computer determined it would be better served to simply save a little bit more of the battery life. I believe that the cut off point is 9 mph for the avg speed.

Don't feel bad, since I feel worse. My computer displayed ERR, which I found out means Expecting Real Rider. Now every time I simply approach my new Ottrott, there is a loud audible laugh and then I hear a slow and steady snoring sound. I am losing the little bit of the confidence that I had left.

Still Snoring STill Serotta Sandy

JohnS
02-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Sandy, I'm sure your CSi still loves you. Try to find a good home for the Ottrott. Too bad it's not a 54cm. I would be willing to be a fosterparent or Big Brother to it. :)

Ozz
02-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Keno,

have you ruled out the usual culprits such as low battery in either transmitter or receiver?

I was not getting a reading on my Ciclo, so I replaced the batter on the transmitter, and still no reading....turns out the magnet has slipped down the spoke a couple millimiters and was not getting registered.

I've also had erratic reading on my HR monitor when riding under power lines...maybe you were getting some EM interference?

good luck!

keno
02-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Took the computer and bike for a ride this afternoon, and all seems well again in the world of the average. I will let this no longer sleeping function be for the time being. Worst case, I can always divide miles by hours.

The experience did bring to mind the thought that no matter how fast or slow I go, to that function I am always average.

Ozz, on the Ciclo, do you use the watt functions? Do you like the computer?

keno

Ozz
02-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Keno,

I like the computer, and the watts feature is interesting to watch. Especially when the terrain gets real steep real fast

It has more functions than I will ever need, and seems pretty reliable (when adjusted properly and has batteries).

I like the altitude functions and temperture too. These function when the unit is off the bike, so I can use it hiking also.

There are a couple problems I have with it however:

There are so many functions and sub-menus, it is taking awhile to learn them all, and is easy to get lost....this might be just me though...

The other problem is the "stack of pancakes" look the computer has on the handlebars. The computer clicks into a receiver unit that is just as large as the computer. The whole set up is about a 1.5" thick. I'll see if I can get a photo of it for you.

I don't know what looks worse, wires hanging all over your bike or the lumpy receivers / transmitters of wireless units.

:crap: