PDA

View Full Version : When to start riding again after injury?

Nooch
08-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Crashed pretty hard last tuesday, must have twisted my knee in the process, went to the orthopedist on Wednesday and was told it was a sprain to my MCL. Been in a brace for almost a week now, spun on the trainer a few times with no pain, only pain when there's weight on it.

I'm itching to get out and ride, and since I'm not in pain on the trainer, I'd like to think I won't be damaging anything by riding outside.. Thoughts?

MattTuck
08-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Crashed pretty hard last tuesday, must have twisted my knee in the process, went to the orthopedist on Wednesday and was told it was a sprain to my MCL. Been in a brace for almost a week now, spun on the trainer a few times with no pain, only pain when there's weight on it.

I'm itching to get out and ride, and since I'm not in pain on the trainer, I'd like to think I won't be damaging anything by riding outside.. Thoughts?

Seems like a question for your orthopedist. I'd call him/her, and ask. They saw the injury so are in the best position to make a judgement.

Bruce K
08-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Ask your MD. Doing further damage is definitely not worth it.

If there is no pain on the trainer, it sounds like it would be OK but why risk it?

Besdies, spinning a trainer at fairly constant rate is not the same as climbing a big hill or applying some real power. That could change everything.

Patience Grasshopper.

BK

Nooch
08-06-2012, 11:19 AM
the ortho said 'go easy and stay in the brace for two weeks.' but also said that cycling doesn't really stress the mcl because of the lack of weight bearing... i suppose i didn't ask the right questions while i saw him.. i take 'go easy' as an easy spin, not necessarily stay off... but what do i know..

Bruce K
08-06-2012, 11:37 AM
That's how I would read it if that's what he said

Really watch your efforts on hills

Dance on those pedals don't stomp

Good luck

BK

FlashUNC
08-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I'd just stick to the trainer for a couple weeks. Why rush it and risk further damage? What happens if you have to put a leg down, or hit the deck again?

Fixed
08-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Went to the doc said it hurts when I do this..he said don't do that.:)
Pain is a good indicator that it is not time yet IMHO
You will be riding again before you know it
Cheers

Ken Robb
08-06-2012, 12:22 PM
I would stick with flat pedals until I was back to full strength to avoid twisting loads on my knee.

crownjewelwl
08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
drink copious amounts of beer and feel sorry for yourself...

pretty effective...i still have 2 wks to go

Nooch
08-06-2012, 01:19 PM
drink copious amounts of beer and feel sorry for yourself...

pretty effective...i still have 2 wks to go

i did this after I broke my wrist in late February -- can't allow for two bouts of self-destruction in one season!

crownjewelwl
08-06-2012, 01:30 PM
i did this after I broke my wrist in late February -- can't allow for two bouts of self-destruction in one season!

yes...this is a one time binge for me!! i have tried several new brews in the last month though...

sorry to hear about your crash, but i wouldn't rush back!

Nooch
08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
yes...this is a one time binge for me!! i have tried several new brews in the last month though...

sorry to hear about your crash, but i wouldn't rush back!

yeah, no, i know.. just trying to squeeze as much riding and racing in before my baby comes and steals all my attention!

crownjewelwl
08-06-2012, 02:08 PM
yeah, no, i know.. just trying to squeeze as much riding and racing in before my baby comes and steals all my attention!

get used to it brother...i have 2 boys...best is to get up really early and ride before the family wakes up!!

cnighbor1
08-06-2012, 06:53 PM
that is stress free if non slowly