PDA

View Full Version : Shimano SPD-SL cleat wear question

dekindy
08-05-2012, 09:14 PM
My Shimano SPD-SL cleats have always worn on the heel edge of the cleat, at least that is all I recall seeing visually; maybe the front edges were worn too and I just did not notice before. Recently I started having pain in the middle bottom of both feet even with the first metatarsal head, much more on right foot than left. Have never had this type of pain before. My cleats did not appear to be worn in the usual place or at least not enough that visual inspection would require replacing, was having no difficulty clipping in, and no knee pain; which are the three usual signs of cleat wear and usually occur in that order.

Recent inspection of my cleats revealed that the toe end of my right cleat was worn almost flat horizontally and the vertical edge was worn away; to the point that I am not sure how it would still function but I had no unclipping or slipping at least that I felt. The left cleat was worn significantly in the same manner but shape was retained and would not have noticed how significantly it was worn if I had not seen the other cleat and then compared both to new cleats.

This probably has to do with my position change and cleat placement change from being fitted this past Winter. Can anyone comment on whether this change in wear pattern is normal or has any significance regarding proper fit and efficient power generation? Always before had the impression that my cleat wear was mostly due to clipping and unclipping but had never asked about this.

Installed new cleats but have not ridden yet. Guess I will have to base cleat replacement on new criteria.

benb
08-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Yes.. definitely this can cause foot pain.

Do you have the older SPD-SL pedals with the plastic wear plates?

If those plates are worn that will also contribute to foot pain.

When my cleat position + fit was off I would put a lot of wear on the left cleat + left wear plate as my foot wanted to move on the pedal during the pedal stroke.

As the wear plates & cleat wear I would get hot foot really bad on that foot, and I have found the wear plates harder to find lately. (Haven't really looked on the internet though.)

I just recently sucked it up and bought a pair of the newer style pedals with metal wear plates the problem went away pretty much immediately. I'll keep watching for it but I'm pretty sure I have the foot movement solved these days so I expect my cleats to last a little longer.

By the time I bought the new pedals I could get hot foot inside 2 hours..

dekindy
08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Yes, I have plastic wear plates and purchased many sets awhile back when I saw them for a cheap price even considering shipping. I monitor those closely but will check to make sure they are not worn. Thanks. Really not going to replace the two sets of pedals I have until they wear out which may be never?

benb
08-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I want to say the wear plates were much more significant for foot pain for me then cleat wear.. but I never really noticed much assymetrical cleat wear. My guess is anything that causes an assymetrical interface will do it. I honestly think the new design pedals are worth it anyway though as the platform is bigger AFAICT which should help with foot problems.

dekindy
08-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Well Benb you nailed it as the wear plates are worn out. I usually monitor closely and have spares but must have sneaked up on me. New cleats and wear plates for next ride and will see how it goes. Thanks again.

benb
08-06-2012, 01:17 PM
No problem.. numb feet suck!