PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever texted or used a phone while driving?

rugbysecondrow
08-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Just an informal query since it seems the Paceline forum has the best drivers on the face of the planet.

slidey
08-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Slow saturday huh? :P

Never texted, but have used phone to get directions to new places in town - maybe thrice. I've a dedicated GPS for longer drives.

Just an informal query since it seems the Paceline forum has the best drivers on the face of the planet.

rugbysecondrow
08-04-2012, 05:31 PM
I will say, my answer is yes. I have I my life drank, smoked, been high, had sex, been felated, eaten, texted, phoned, been phoned...and likely much more.

Who is going to lie and say they are a perfect driver?

akelman
08-04-2012, 05:33 PM
I have...drank, smoked, been high, had sex, been felated, eaten, texted, phoned, been phoned...and likely much more.

And? Let me know when you've done all of those things while driving.

rugbysecondrow
08-04-2012, 05:43 PM
And? Let me know when you've done all of those things while driving.

In the same trip or overall?

zmudshark
08-04-2012, 05:53 PM
I have never in my life texted anyone. I've always have had it disabled on my phones.

The other stuff? I think there's an amendment for that.

Ti Designs
08-04-2012, 05:54 PM

Why would I lie???

You have to understand that I'm the worst case of ADD you'll ever know. I live my life by hyperfocus. A cell phone is a way of giving others the ability to distract - that doesn't work for me. I don't think I've ever had a cell phone in my car. Remember when Dave asked why can't people just drive when they drive? That's pretty much all I do. I drive my race car to work, each day I try to drive the exact same line I did the day before (it's good practice for autocross). 32 years of driving, no tickets, no accidents, no texting, no phone calls...

There's this thing called personal responsibility. Before I can expect more from others, I must first expect a higher level from myself. I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks that.

Aaron O
08-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Six years ago (the last time I drove a car in fact) I found a cell phone outside of a take out restaurant on the ground...actually in a snow bank. I picked the phone up and called numbers telling people it was lost. I ended up forgetting my wallet and had to run home for it (I'm absent minded). On the way back, the phone rung...it had the loudest ring I'd ever heard and it was some incredibly obnoxious rap (along with thre strongest vibration in a phone I'd ever felt). It startled the hell out of me and I didn't instantly understand what had happened. I ended up distracted and rear ended a car in front of me. It could have been a cyclist.

Yes - I've used cell phones in cars...including before that incident. It will never happen again.

e-RICHIE
08-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I will say, my answer is yes. I have <cut> been felated, eaten,

I get the first part, but how do you accomplish the second part?
And, how was it atmo?

PS These threads aren't cached, right?!

David Kirk
08-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Right on.

When I have a phone in the car it's turned off and I never turn it on. This is largely because it is so much safer but I also enjoy the task of driving and driving well...........and frankly I only want to talk to others when I can devote the time and attention they deserve. And that in not while driving.

No reason to lie - and no reason to turn on the phone.

Dave

Why would I lie???

You have to understand that I'm the worst case of ADD you'll ever know. I live my life by hyperfocus. A cell phone is a way of giving others the ability to distract - that doesn't work for me. I don't think I've ever had a cell phone in my car. Remember when Dave asked why can't people just drive when they drive? That's pretty much all I do. I drive my race car to work, each day I try to drive the exact same line I did the day before (it's good practice for autocross). 32 years of driving, no tickets, no accidents, no texting, no phone calls...

There's this thing called personal responsibility. Before I can expect more from others, I must first expect a higher level from myself. I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks that.

e-RICHIE
08-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Ya - and I'll add I don't own a cell phone (never have) and don't know how to text atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:):):cool:
:cool:;);)
;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

slidey
08-04-2012, 06:14 PM
I think using smart phones as GPS or for music is the equivalent of using the radio or a GPS, so noting wrong there at all.

Poll might be better represented by asking if people have used the phone's non-driving related capabilities while driving, i.e. text/voice/browse internet/play games/check mails, etc.

Kontact
08-04-2012, 06:20 PM
When I was learning to fly an airplane, talking on the radio while piloting was a skill everyone had trouble with.

I feel "qualified" now to be able to talk on a handheld phone and still turn my head to look around and react to my environment. I didn't own a cell before flight school, so I don't have a point of comparison, but I'm pretty sure most people should absolutely not do it. I think people could be trained to do it, but who's going to take that class?

Ti Designs
08-04-2012, 06:20 PM
I think using smart phones as GPS or for music is the equivalent of using the radio or a GPS, so noting wrong there at all.

Not so fast. Are we talking about setting it and placing it in a fixed position the whole time you're driving, or are you holding it or trying to change things while driving?

Fixed
08-04-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't drive Anymore
And I hate my iPhone
I use an iPad When I am out
Cheers
No and no

slidey
08-04-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm referring to the former. Personally, I change routes, etc on a GPS/phone only at standstill...and, I think that's an acceptable practice.

Not so fast. Are we talking about setting it and placing it in a fixed position the whole time you're driving, or are you holding it or trying to change things while driving?

Kontact
08-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Poll might be better represented by asking if people have used the phone's non-driving related capabilities while driving, i.e. text/voice/browse internet/play games/check mails, etc.

Many GPS units won't even work if the car is moving any more. Using handheld devices is world's different from using car built ins that are designed to be operated by touch and are in the same focal plane as the rest of the dash. Most people would crash if the turn signal was on a touch screen.

ofcounsel
08-04-2012, 06:29 PM
I have. Not proud of it, but I have texted on occasion.

Steelman
08-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Have a cell phone which was only activated when travelling overseas, w/o car.
At the same time, went w/o computer for 5 mos, except for internet cafes, was a happy time.

Don't feel it necessary to be connected always.

Earl Gray
08-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Do both all the time

Kontact
08-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Do both all the time

Why? Something to do when not drunk driving?

Kontact
08-04-2012, 07:13 PM

Is having done something dumb the same thing as saying it is okay? What's your point? Everyone now knows that texting while driving is stupidly dangerous. You don't have to be completely innocent to be against reckless endangerment.

It sounds like you're coming at this with the whole glass house thing - but there's a difference between being negligent and sin.

Earl Gray
08-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Why? Something to do when not drunk driving?

I do refrain from texting while driving if I have had more then 3 drinks.

William
08-04-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't, but I drive a manual so even if I wanted to I don't think I could. http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/attachments/site-talk/9656d1088617348-new-emoticon-icon_smile_driving_na.gif

William

AngryScientist
08-04-2012, 07:31 PM
i'm pleased to say that i just joined a new company with what can only be described as a "relentless" safety culture. my job almost revolves around my smartphone, but using company phones while driving is strictly forbidden, and it seems like the policy is taken very seriously.

i have used my phone while driving, but have learned my lesson, it's simply not worth it.

slidey
08-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Well, those are the stupidest systems...I don't have one on my car but on a recent trip, I being the passenger, was unable to guide the blasted built-in GPS to find a place to eat at as the car was still in motion. I'm fine with using technology the right way, and against making it overly complicated to suit the needs of some delinquents. Mainly since I don't think there's any way you can make a technology stupid-proof, or if you do, it's just plain inconvenient.

Many GPS units won't even work if the car is moving any more. Using handheld devices is world's different from using car built ins that are designed to be operated by touch and are in the same focal plane as the rest of the dash. Most people would crash if the turn signal was on a touch screen.

slidey
08-04-2012, 07:35 PM
I drive a http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/attachments/site-talk/9656d1088617348-new-emoticon-icon_smile_driving_na.gif too!

P.S. I just wanted to use this icon :banana:

I don't, but I drive a manual so even if I wanted to I don't think I could. http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/attachments/site-talk/9656d1088617348-new-emoticon-icon_smile_driving_na.gif

William

Kontact
08-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Well, those are the stupidest systems...I don't have one on my car but on a recent trip, I being the passenger, was unable to guide the blasted built-in GPS to find a place to eat at as the car was still in motion. I'm fine with using technology the right way, and against making it overly complicated to suit the needs of some delinquents. Mainly since I don't think there's any way you can make a technology stupid-proof, or if you do, it's just plain inconvenient.

My point was the GPS makers did that because hand held devices are NOT safe to operate while driving, and so many people are so stupid that they had to hold our hands on this.

I have had exactly the same experience as a passenger, but I understand why they had to do that.

Aaron O
08-04-2012, 08:08 PM
I drive a http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/attachments/site-talk/9656d1088617348-new-emoticon-icon_smile_driving_na.gif too!

That's not on my list of smileys!!! How do you acess this?

slidey
08-04-2012, 08:16 PM
My point was the GPS makers did that because hand held devices are NOT safe to operate while driving, and so many people are so stupid that they had to hold our hands on this.

I have had exactly the same experience as a passenger, but I understand why they had to do that.

Yeah, I see your point...unfortunate ain't it though :cool:

I wish everyone were like this:

William
08-04-2012, 08:18 PM

Hey, you stole my smiley!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/gun.gif

;)

William

slidey
08-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Haha...yeah, why do you think I had to do that :P

It's one of them smiley icons from the internets, used as an image.

That's not on my list of smileys!!! How do you acess this?

Steelman
08-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Can't help but wonder how many of the folks who answered yes are preachy on helmet use, as well as drinking & driving.

(Cell phones vs impairment has been studied, one can be worse than the other).

gdw
08-04-2012, 08:31 PM
"Can't help but wonder how many of the folks who answered yes are preachy on helmet use, as well as drinking & driving."

Only idiots don't wear their helmet while drinking and driving.

Ti Designs
08-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Only idiots don't wear their helmet while drinking and driving.

My driving helmet has a drinking tube, it's the only way to drink and drive. How do you feel about wearing nomex underwear after eating mexican?

Aaron O
08-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Haha...yeah, why do you think I had to do that :P

It's one of them smiley icons from the internets, used as an image.

I didn't realize that was possible...

A whole new world is opening in front of me.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Wow, there are some really, really foul smileys out there http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-devil03.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

gdw
08-04-2012, 09:03 PM
'How do you feel about wearing nomex underwear after eating mexican?"

I'm a retrogrouch and prefer Rivendell's asbestos union suit.

choke
08-04-2012, 09:09 PM
I've used a cell phone maybe half a dozen times while driving but only late at night on rural interstates where the only thing I had to worry about hitting were animals.

I don't text period.

slidey
08-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Sharing is caring, so keep 'em coming... ;)

Oh and that's what she said :banana:

Hey, you stole my smiley!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/gun.gif

;)

William

bikinchris
08-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I don't text at all. I just think it's stupid to pay the phone company when texting is just a dumbed down version of an email.
I don't read emails while I am driving.
I don't drive with my phone on my shoulder. But I have used it with an ear piece after dialing while parked.
Of course, do you realise that the radio/CD/MP3 player is STILL the cause of more single driver crashes than a phone? But the phone is on a bullet rising.

Louis
08-04-2012, 11:02 PM

This is a ridiculous statement.

I'm hardly a perfect driver, but since I don't own a cell / smart phone it's pretty easy to say that no, I've never texted or used a phone while driving.

What's so unbelievable about that?

rugbysecondrow
08-05-2012, 07:44 AM
This is a ridiculous statement.

I'm hardly a perfect driver, but since I don't own a cell / smart phone it's pretty easy to say that no, I've never texted or used a phone while driving.

What's so unbelievable about that?

That is why you have an opportunity to vote.

zap
08-05-2012, 08:27 AM

stop obsessing.

get out and ride..............with formites too.

oldpotatoe
08-05-2012, 08:33 AM
When I was learning to fly an airplane, talking on the radio while piloting was a skill everyone had trouble with.

I feel "qualified" now to be able to talk on a handheld phone and still turn my head to look around and react to my environment. I didn't own a cell before flight school, so I don't have a point of comparison, but I'm pretty sure most people should absolutely not do it. I think people could be trained to do it, but who's going to take that class?

Aviate, navigate, communicate. What they teach you from day one in USN flight school...

After flying bug smashers to fast USN jets, for over 40 years, I still don't like to talk on the phone while driving and have never texted while driving. Have a hard enough time with that sitting on my couch. But talking on a phone in traffic is much different than talking on the radio, while flying cuz most private pilots aren't in 'traffic, like flying formation with other A/C around them. AND like when driving, you can always say, 'standby', 'wait one'...

Ti Designs
08-05-2012, 08:39 AM
I feel "qualified" now to be able to talk on a handheld phone and still turn my head to look around and react to my environment.

Does your car have an airbag?

Tony T
08-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Nothing wrong, (or illegal) in using a "hands-free" cel while driving.
And flipping open a cel to answer a call is no more a distraction that changing a station on the radio.

Your poll is flawed, and will most certainly yield a 98% positive result.

"...or used a cell phone in any capacity"

>while driving or managing an automobile.

And what does that mean??

Also, since you're being all-inclusive, you should have asked "while driving or managing an automobile, or cycling"

Gummee
08-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Looks like I'm in the minority here.

I was texting the entire way across KS one trip. Had the phone wedged in the steering wheel... Course, there was nothing in front of me and nothing behind me as far as I could see.

Being in sales, I'll call appointments to let em know I'm late/lost/what have you. I'll call back people that have left me VMs. In short, the car is a mobile office.

One nice thing about my phone is a 'talk to text' feature. I don't have to type.

In the greater scheme of things, I've found that there are people that can manage to talk on the phone and drive and those that can't. The difference is easy to spot on the road.

...and now the excoriation commences...

M

Ti Designs
08-05-2012, 08:55 AM
And flipping open a cel to answer a call is no more a distraction that changing a station on the radio.

A friend of mine had a performance driving school, when the issue of cell phone use while driving first came up he started putting drivers to the test. The challenge was to show competence in car control while on the phone (this was an autocross school, the bar for car control was set rather high). There were a few people who did pass, but most weren't even close. The conclusion was that the handling ability and the level of attention paid to driving of the average driver is dismal - why make it worse?

There is justice in the world, in this case it comes in the form of the air bag. It's easy to say you can drive while talking on the phone, but hitting something could mean not only eating those words, but also eating the phone.

rugbysecondrow
08-05-2012, 08:55 AM
stop obsessing.

get out and ride..............with formites too.

I have been riding quite a bit, just at odd times of the day. My wife is in triathlon training mode so my riding is secondary, and has been for the last month. It's all good, more running for me instead. :)

William
08-05-2012, 09:06 AM
A friend of mine had a performance driving school, when the issue of cell phone use while driving first came up he started putting drivers to the test. The challenge was to show competence in car control while on the phone (this was an autocross school, the bar for car control was set rather high). There were a few people who did pass, but most weren't even close. The conclusion was that the handling ability and the level of attention paid to driving of the average driver is dismal - why make it worse?

There is justice in the world, in this case it comes in the form of the air bag. It's easy to say you can drive while talking on the phone, but hitting something could mean not only eating those words, but also eating the phone.

I wonder how they would perform the same test with someone sitting next to them asking questions that they have to answer?

William

Kontact
08-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Yup, why?

What I was getting at in my post was that I've had a lot of highly specialized training and feel competent to talk and drive only after all that. And that it was very difficult to do at first - I think it is a skill that is possible to learn, but it takes training which drivers would never normally receive.

My post wasn't so much about what's okay for me, but how I came to understand how incredibly distracting using a phone or radio can be.

e-RICHIE
08-05-2012, 09:51 AM

He did mention that in the list of acts committed while driving atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool::cool::)
:cool::cool::rolleyes:
;):cool::)

David Kirk
08-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Recent studies show they would do much better and for two reasons. First is that for whatever reason the person driving feels more comfortable ignoring the questioning passenger for a few seconds while real driving needs to be attended to. Secondly, and most importantly, the passenger, in a real life situation, acts as a second set of eyes and stops asking questions when driving gets demanding. It turns out the driver picks up on the passenger's queues and puts their attention where it needs to be - on the road. In other words, more often than not, the passenger shuts up when need be. The person on the other end of the phone has no idea what is happening with their conversation partner who is driving and just keeps rolling with the conversation so the driver doesn't benefit from a second set of eyes on the road but suffers from having to maintain a conversation - double whammy.

Any way you cut it, driving while talking on the phone, even with a hands free set up isn't good, driving and talking without a hands free set up is bad and texting is downright irresponsible and puts those around you are undue risk. it's been shown that texting while driving reduces the driver's skill and attentiveness to that of a drunk driver. it seems that all too many folks think they are 'above average' and can handle it and will talk out of one side of their mouth and say how dangerous it is to be on the road on a bike while irresponsible drivers talk and text and then get themselves behind the wheel and do it themselves. I know my saying this won't change any minds but............to those who think they can handle it..........you're wrong and it can not be rationalized. Some things really are black and white and this is one of them. You are doing something wrong.

Dave

I wonder how they would perform the same test with someone sitting next to them asking questions that they have to answer?

William

martinrjensen
08-05-2012, 10:04 AM
I think it would be different. I think the actual tallking on the phone aspect is what's most distrating. I know it sounds like it's the same thing, but I think it's different somehowI wonder how they would perform the same test with someone sitting next to them asking questions that they have to answer?

William

rwsaunders
08-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Nothing wrong, (or illegal) in using a "hands-free" cel while driving.

Your poll is flawed, and will most certainly yield a 98% positive result.

"...or used a cell phone in any capacity"

>while driving or managing an automobile.

And what does that mean??

Also, since you're being all-inclusive, you should have asked "while driving or managing an automobile, or cycling"

Add line item to poll...."or have driven with a cat in your car." That's what the woman who hit my wife's car claimed...her cat worked it's way out of the cage and scratched her head, causing her to run a red light and T-bone her van.

Tony T
08-05-2012, 10:33 AM
The challenge was to show competence in car control while on the phone (this was an autocross school, the bar for car control was set rather high). There were a few people who did pass, but most weren't even close.

I would be interested in seeing the same test with the driver having a conversation with a passenger, while drinking a cup of coffee, or while changing the station on the radio.

(FWIW, I have never text'd while driving, but I have used a cel (on speaker))

Chance
08-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Any way you cut it, driving while talking on the phone, even with a hands free set up isn't good, driving and talking without a hands free set up is bad and texting is downright irresponsible and puts those around you are undue risk. it's been shown that texting while driving reduces the driver's skill and attentiveness to that of a drunk driver. it seems that all too many folks think they are 'above average' and can handle it and will talk out of one side of their mouth and say how dangerous it is to be on the road on a bike while irresponsible drivers talk and text and then get themselves behind the wheel and do it themselves. I know my saying this won't change any minds but............to those who think they can handle it..........you're wrong and it can not be rationalized. Some things really are black and white and this is one of them. You are doing something wrong.

Dave

This may be wrong. Some data suggest texting is worse than drunk driving.

Chance
08-05-2012, 11:25 AM

Definitely not perfect. On the other hand have driven just over 1 million miles while avoiding hitting anyone or causing others to have accidents, so while not perfect not a menace either. Perfection is a little too high a goal, don't you think? Maybe just a good driving record should be good enough.

bikinchris
08-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Saw this girl once while waiting at the crosswalk. She had a cup of coffee in left hand, lit cigarette in her right, which also had a cell phone and was driving a stick shift.

William
08-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Recent studies show they would do much better and for two reasons. First is that for whatever reason the person driving feels more comfortable ignoring the questioning passenger for a few seconds while real driving needs to be attended to. Secondly, and most importantly, the passenger, in a real life situation, acts as a second set of eyes and stops asking questions when driving gets demanding. It turns out the driver picks up on the passenger's queues and puts their attention where it needs to be - on the road. In other words, more often than not, the passenger shuts up when need be. The person on the other end of the phone has no idea what is happening with their conversation partner who is driving and just keeps rolling with the conversation so the driver doesn't benefit from a second set of eyes on the road but suffers from having to maintain a conversation - double whammy.

Dave

Good point on the synergistic non-verbal communicato.:)

William

jlwdm
08-05-2012, 03:03 PM
In the car for work a lot of the time, on the bluetooth phone a lot and some use of gps - mine works when I am moving.

Jeff

1happygirl
08-05-2012, 03:17 PM
My insurance agent at Google is monitoring this poll!
Not to hi-jack but on a woman's group ride once, someone ordered a pizza with there cell phone after answering a request from a call from home on an earlier call.

LOL! i don't believe using a cell is safe if you have to take eyes or hands off road but hands-free okay. Think it should be user discretion and the user suffers the consequences.

Louis
08-05-2012, 03:31 PM
She had a cup of coffee in left hand, lit cigarette in her right, which also had a cell phone and was driving a stick shift.

Now THAT is talent.

Kontact
08-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Another thing that factors into all of this is if people are mentally prepared to drop the phone if something demanding suddenly happens. I would bet many people would keep their hand clamped to their head throughout an accident.

The autocross course while on the phone thing doesn't really make much sense. No one drives to the limit of their car while on the phone, but it does reflect on the point I just made - when driving suddenly becomes demanding the phone has to drop. And that is something people are just not normally willing to do to both their phone and the person on the line.

Kontact
08-05-2012, 03:46 PM
He did mention that in the list of acts committed while driving atmo.

What does that mean?

chevron
08-05-2012, 03:48 PM
I use the cell ,but no texting

e-RICHIE
08-05-2012, 04:07 PM
What does that mean?

What do you mean, "What does that mean?!" When I read some of his feats
accomplished while driving I assumed there was an airbag in the car atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

;););)
;););)
:):rolleyes:;)

Kontact
08-05-2012, 04:23 PM
What do you mean, "What does that mean?!" When I read some of his feats
accomplished while driving I assumed there was an airbag in the car atmo.

What you mean, "what do you mean?" ;)

That was my car and airbag he was asking about.

e-RICHIE
08-05-2012, 04:29 PM
What you mean, "what do you mean?" ;)

That was my car and airbag he was asking about.

You were in the car when he did some of those things atmo.
I'm a pretty open-minded cat and all...

ps

arrange disorder

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
:):):cool:
:cool::):p

rugbysecondrow
08-05-2012, 05:30 PM
For the record, I have never met Mr. Kontact nor were we affiliated in any of the previously mentioned acts...not that there is anything wrong with it.

Driving is serious business and it should be treated as such. I was fortunate to not hurt myself or others in the past. I contrast those days from the day I brought my daughter home from the hospital. I have never been ao scared to drive, defensive, nervous...man that was a long 15 miles. Part of growing older is being able to couple maturity with experience to make better decisions. I am fortunate to have lived long enough for that to happen. Riding has made me a better, more aware driver.

Anyway, I think this poll I interesting, however flawed.

Seramount
08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
have I phoned/texted while operating a vehicle. yeah.

is it smart or safe to do this? nope. it's incredibly distracting and I consider myself an 'excellent driver' (uses Raymond Babbit voice to say this).

texting is a particularly stupid activity while driving. I bitch at my friends when they do it while I'm a passenger. I've done it a half dozen times and know without a doubt that my driving ability at the time is totally impaired. I can see them drift over the lane divider or drop 15 mph as they peck on their stupid little keyboards...

gawd, just hang up and drive.

I only recently ditched my land landline and got a cell. I hate it. I use it about 3 times a week, maybe less. it rarely leaves the kitchen table.

the 'smart phone culture' is a curse. the hordes of zombies that can't put their phones down EVER drive me nuts.

Ti Designs
08-05-2012, 06:48 PM

This is why I drive a single seater...

bikinchris
08-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Driving is serious business and it should be treated as such.

Quote me on this: "Drive like your life depends on it every second of the trip, because it does."

That goes for bike driving also.

slidey
08-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Glad you aren't calling the smart phone a curse!

the 'smart phone culture' is a curse. the hordes of zombies that can't put their phones down EVER drive me nuts.

slidey
08-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Ever wondered why a smart phone is called so?

'Cause people are dumb!

Germany_chris
08-06-2012, 04:19 PM
I've done all those things and done them at speeds only attainable on empty autobahns. I most likely will continue to do so.

559Rando
08-06-2012, 05:58 PM
In the early days on Smart Phones, my boss would send me lengthy e-mails from her HP iPAQ (remember those). Thankfully no one was ever hurt. I'm amazed to see so many people in Southern California blatantly talking on their cell phones and driving. We passed the law to make that illegal years ago.