PDA

View Full Version : Chris King Bottom Bracket Creak

Straz
08-04-2012, 04:02 PM
I have a two year old Chris King Bottom Bracket that has started to creak. I pulled the seals and relubed using the injector tool. Drive side is nice and smooth, non-drive side the bearings are really rough when rotating the inner ring. Anyone had this experience? I've emailed their warranty department and am awaiting a response.

oldpotatoe
08-05-2012, 08:12 AM
I have a two year old Chris King Bottom Bracket that has started to creak. I pulled the seals and relubed using the injector tool. Drive side is nice and smooth, non-drive side the bearings are really rough when rotating the inner ring. Anyone had this experience? I've emailed their warranty department and am awaiting a response.

Well, I have even seen lower bearings on a CK headset go south. Happens, particularly when the bearings are kinda 'in the breeze', so to speak. Having a 'seal' on them doesn't mean they are 'sealed'.

Ya may try to call them, they have actual people on the phones up there in Portlandia.

firerescuefin
08-05-2012, 09:05 AM

First time you've serviced them?

AngryScientist
08-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Are you using a shimano style crank or SRAM? Just curious.

Also, two years means a lot of different things to different riders: about how many miles and in what conditions; again, just curious.

Straz
08-05-2012, 11:22 AM
This is the third time I have serviced them. In the past I have pulled the seals, flushed the old grease out and then put fresh synthetic grease in. I would say they have about 3000 miles using a Shimano Dura Ace crank.

Will have to give them a call on Monday.

Grant McLean
08-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Miles is much less relevant than if they see water or dirt.

Generally it's contamination that shortens the life to a much greater
extent than anything, as long as it has been set up correctly.

-g