PDA

View Full Version : Prologo review

mike p
08-03-2012, 08:58 PM
I've been a flite guy all my cycling days. When Selle italia stopped making the regular old flite I started hoarding! I have a flite on all 8 of my bike as well as an ample reserve on hand. Through the years I've tried a couple different saddles but nothing fit me as well as the flite.
Not long ago 11.4 was selling a prologo scratch and when Lane speaks I listen :-). I bought a plain scratch and a scratch TR ( team md ) via ebay. I now have a half dozen races, and many training rides including a couple rides of a hundred plus miles. Conclusion....I love them. They feel very similar to the flite but the ass end of the saddle feels a little larger and flatter, not quite as round as the flite. They're very comfortable even on long rides, and very easy to jump in and out of the saddle. They're also a very well made quality product.
I know saddles are a very individual thing and what works for me may not work for you. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Mike

jpw
08-04-2012, 05:51 AM
The flite is being made again.

keevon
08-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Seems as though the Scratch works for a wide range of riders.

I love my three Scratch saddles. I was riding unpadded Flites about 5 years ago, then moved to Regals, then to the Specialized Phenom, and ultimately to the Scratch. Can't beat it!

mike p
08-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Yes the old flite is being made again though it is slightly different. It's probably a fine saddle I just wanted to find an alternative. The scratch satisfies that itch.

Mike

The flite is being made again.

jpw
08-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Yes the old flite is being made again though it is slightly different. It's probably a fine saddle I just wanted to find an alternative. The scratch satisfies that itch.

Mike

I now also ride Scratch :-)

67-59
08-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Has anyone moved from the Aliante to the Scratch?

For me, the Aliante is the most comfortable saddle I've found...but I still haven't ever gotten to that "saddle disappears beneath me" state. I've tried plenty of others, but the Aliante comes closest. I have been pondering trying the Scratch ti 1.4 in the 143 width, as it looks very similar to the Aliante. Anyone try this move?

08-04-2012, 11:01 AM
From the Aliante, try the Prologo Nago Evo, or even better, the Nago Evo TR.

EricEstlund
08-04-2012, 11:10 AM
As a long time Flite rider I recently built up a bike with the Nago Evo Ti. Seems to slot nicely between the Flite and SLR. I don't have enough time on it yet to have a strong opinion, but so far I really like it.

metalheart
08-04-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm riding a Regal and want to try something different ... would the Scratch be a "similar" but different saddle?

lhuerta
08-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Yes the old flite is being made again though it is slightly different.

Actually, the ORIGINAL Flite is being produced again (which is identical to the old/original Flite) in addition to the modern Flite, which s only slightly different then the original.

For me, the Aliante is the most comfortable saddle I've found...but I still haven't ever gotten to that "saddle disappears beneath me" state. I've tried plenty of others, but the Aliante comes closest. I have been pondering trying the Scratch ti 1.4 in the 143 width, as it looks very similar to the Aliante. Anyone try this move?

I made this switch and never looked back. The Aliante I found had the perfect hammock and width that I needed but the Aliante (like most Fizik saddles) had that annoying inner rail on the back edge of the inner saddle frame/base that you would feel if you slid back. Not mention the cheap microfiber that ripped if you looked at it too hard.

The Prologo equivalent is the Scratch (now known as the Scratch HWD), not to be confused with the Scratch Pro TS, Scratch Pro Ti 1.4 or Scratch Nack which are all very different saddles with a slightly narrower and flatter profile with little hammock effect. The Scratch (aka Scratch HWD) shares a similar full carbon base and ti rails, like the Aliante, but the big difference is in the amazing variable thickness padding which is thin, but firm throughout, and most importantly, the Lorica cover which is very durable.

Here is a pic of the Scratch HWD which JOACHIM is offering on the forum right now:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=113618

Lou

mike p
08-04-2012, 12:00 PM
The modern flite and the old style flite are quite a bit different to me anyways. The old style flite and the new old style are different too. Not a lot but the rails are higher and if you put them side by side you can see differences.

Mike

[QUOTE=lhuerta;1182999]Actually, the ORIGINAL Flite is being produced again (which is identical to the old/original Flite) in addition to the modern Flite, which s only slightly different then the original.

scrubadub
08-04-2012, 12:35 PM
From the Aliante, try the Prologo Nago Evo, or even better, the Nago Evo TR.

+1. I really liked the Aliante but felt like there was only one sweet spot. Switched to the TR and it's like the Aliante but with more positions. Just got my first non-TR so we'll see how that goes.

CNY rider
08-04-2012, 12:38 PM
The Prologo equivalent is the Scratch (now known as the Scratch HWD), not to be confused with the Scratch Pro TS, Scratch Pro Ti 1.4 or Scratch Nack which are all very different saddles with a slightly narrower and flatter profile with little hammock effect.

Lou

I was going to try a Prologo and saw so many options, with no ability to discern what was what, that I just moved on.
Why so many? And what's right for who?

bluesea
08-04-2012, 12:51 PM
The modern flite and the old style flite are quite a bit different to me anyways. The old style flite and the new old style are different too. Not a lot but the rails are higher and if you put them side by side you can see differences.

Mike

The original early 90's Flite rails seemed to angle up higher up front than most other saddles. I know it couldn't work with the Dura Ace Easton seatpost I had, which couldn't accomodate the angle.

The old Flites had that thick smooth leather, with a perfect amount of grip and slip.

scrubadub
08-04-2012, 03:07 PM
I was going to try a Prologo and saw so many options, with no ability to discern what was what, that I just moved on.
Why so many? And what's right for who?

Yeah, it's like they want you to be confused and overwhelmed. Prologo needs a new marketing department.

What I know:
Scratch = more curved
Nago = flatter
TR = team replica, I think 11.4 has said these are what the pros actually ride with a more flexible base

Anyone else want to chip in deciphering the code?

67-59
08-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Regarding the suggestions to change from the Aliante to the Scratch HWD or one of the Nago Evo models - I'm concerned about how narrow they are. They're listed at 134mm (compared to the 142 of the Aliante). One of the reasons I was thinking about the Scratch ti1.4 is that it comes in a 143 width.

I've had problems in the past with narrower saddles (like the Arione or the San Marco Aspide) - two of the least comfortable I've tried. Has someone with that history on narrow saddles really had good luck with a narrow saddle like the Scratch HWD or Nago Evo?

Not saying it's bad advice, but seems counterintuitive to me....

SpeedyChix
08-04-2012, 07:05 PM

I"m a longtime Aliante rider and this year went from the Aliante twinflex/carbon shell to the Prologo ti 1.4 (143 width) and have been happy with it. I may be ready to sell the Aliantes.

08-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Regarding the suggestions to change from the Aliante to the Scratch HWD or one of the Nago Evo models - I'm concerned about how narrow they are. They're listed at 134mm (compared to the 142 of the Aliante). One of the reasons I was thinking about the Scratch ti1.4 is that it comes in a 143 width.

I've had problems in the past with narrower saddles (like the Arione or the San Marco Aspide) - two of the least comfortable I've tried. Has someone with that history on narrow saddles really had good luck with a narrow saddle like the Scratch HWD or Nago Evo?

Depends on how you sit on the saddle. I suspect that SpeedyChix tends to rotate her hips forward and has her pelvis pretty much straight on the wings of the saddle. In that case, width helps. If you tend to open up your hips a lot, you aren't going to be able to seat your pelvis quite the same way, so you're depending on how the saddle supports soft tissue. Two different riders with different positions can fit the same saddle very differently yet both do well on it. I think that happens here with the Scratch. The Nago is a little less forgiving but does really well if it does fit you.

Also, remember that it's about how the saddle fits with weight on it, not how it looks on the display stand. I can tell you from personal experience on small indoor tracks that your saddle will likely have a completely different shape -- and I mean completely -- with your weight on it. Rails flex, plastic flexes, wings rotate, you name it. And all that comes down to design and materials choices in the saddle itself, which is why the Scratch TR and Nago Evo TR ride completely differently from the Scratch 1.4 or any of the non-TR models. And the Nacks ride completely differently again.

mike p
08-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Wait one freaking minute!! Your telling me it's not important my bike looks PRO RACE!!

Mike

"Also, remember that it's about how the saddle fits with weight on it, not how it looks on the display stand."

lhuerta
08-04-2012, 09:49 PM

The profile of the saddle is as important (perhaps more so) then the width. If a narrow saddle has a flat rather then rounded sweet spot/sit area it will provide support similar to a wide saddle with a round profile at the sweet spot/sit area.

When looking at the profile of the variety of scratch saddles, the Scratch (aka Scratch HWD) will have the flattest profile at the sweet spot, in addition to the most hammock effect, compared to the rounder profile of the other Scratch models. The flatter profile yields a wider support area for sit bones despite its 134 mm width.
Lou

dekindy
08-05-2012, 08:24 AM

The profile of the saddle is as important (perhaps more so) then the width. If a narrow saddle has a flat rather then rounded sweet spot/sit area it will provide support similar to a wide saddle with a round profile at the sweet spot/sit area.

When looking at the profile of the variety of scratch saddles, the Scratch (aka Scratch HWD) will have the flattest profile at the sweet spot, in addition to the most hammock effect, compared to the rounder profile of the other Scratch models. The flatter profile yields a wider support area for sit bones despite its 134 mm width.
Lou

Rode Aliante for 3 seasons and now Scratch Pro(134 width) for 3(thousands of miles per season)

I did a lot of research regarding Aliante users that tried different saddles and found the Scratch Pro 11.4 to be one of the most referenced. Reluctant to try because of the narrower width but took the plunge when I found it offered at a 75% discount. Glad I did as I have never looked back. Not certain if lhuerta's logic is correct but agree with the conclusion. Demoed the 143 after riding the 134 a lot and could tell no difference. Have not kept up with Scratch options so HWD is intriguing but since I have zero problems will stick with the Pro.

Here's a low cost demo option from Distance Biker for the Nago Evo 141 and Scratch Pro 143:
http://www.distancebiker.com/store/index.php/b6387.html

BTW, Arione was the most painful saddle I have ever demoed, gave me saddle sores which no other saddle has. As a result I ofter recommend folks to demo Arione and Aliante to figure out what type of saddle they need - flat versus rounded.

jmoore
08-05-2012, 10:03 AM
This is a great thread. I, like the OP, am a Flite guy and have hoarded a bunch of them. I have recovered several Prologo Scratch saddles and I have always wanted to try one. They are the only saddle I have worked on that made me think I could ever switch from a Flite.

Past attempts to switch have been awful. This may make me go find one to try.