PDA

View Full Version : Going to Smiley tomorrow for my first ever fitting!

sc53
08-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Although I have bought two Serottas over the years (in 1996 and 2005) and still own and ride both, I have never really had a real "fitting" at least as some of you, Smiley included, define the term. For both Serottas, my LBS had me ride a size cycle for a few minutes, and asked me a few questions, but the whole thing was over with in 15 mins max. Smiley intends to spend at least 2 hours with me tomorrow! I am sure we will run out of fit-related things to talk about (so glad he has dogs so we can talk dog if all else fails). Anyway, I will be bringing my Ottrott which was sized and fit to me circa 2005 and is my most comfortable and easiest-to-ride bike of the 4 I own. I am hoping to build a more functional Ottrott with the help of Kelly Bedford--wider tires, fittings for a small rack either front or rear (for winter riding, when I shed clothing and add clothing every 30 mins!), and possibly other features I have not thought about. I am not a racer. I said in Ray's recent thread that as I face 60 next year I am wondering just how much and how "fast" and how far I will be riding in the next decade. I love riding and had two great experiences this summer riding Bike Virginia (and getting really tired by Day 3) and then the Going to the Sun Road in Montana in mid-July. I want to keep up my fitness and strength as much as possible. Running is something I had to give up at 45. I hope cycling lasts for a couple more decades at least. :hello:

Smiley
08-03-2012, 05:45 PM
SC the pressure is on me now :) The purpose of the fit is many, aside from your bike being a constant since 2005 I know it did not change but your body may have. Also I can't assume that it was ever 100% right for you then or now so its not a template I wish to build on.

I look forward to working with you and Master builder Kelly Bedford to build a dream machine for you. And I will let the hounds loose in the garage tomorrow just for you :banana:

wgp
08-03-2012, 05:55 PM
sc53, as someone who has benefited from Smiley's attention, let me say enjoy the experience. Smiley's informative and entertaining, and his results speak for themselves!

Ahneida Ride
08-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Smiley improved my fit dramatically on my Legend in about 15 minutes .

My new Bedford fits perfectly. Soooooo comfortable. :banana:

and real easy to pedal uphill ...

rounder
08-04-2012, 01:25 PM
sc53, Good luck with your fit. I went to Smiley two years ago because i was getting a new bike, and had no idea what to expect. I was impresssed by how methodical he was with his measurements. He recommended a couple of tweaks to my existing bike and it rode better than before. The new bike also fit well.

palincss
08-04-2012, 02:51 PM
OK, it's time for a report!

metalheart
08-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Is there a west coast version of smiley?

Smiley
08-04-2012, 03:48 PM
I saw the lovely Ms Sarah today and I was plesantly surprised at the changes I have proposed to her. Her Ottrott has been modified to mimic the new Bedford she will be ordering as to prove out the dynamic changes to her proposed fit. I am sure she will report back once she rides her newly fitted Ottrott :)

Fingers crossed

Point Grey
08-04-2012, 03:51 PM
I saw the lovely Ms Sarah today and I was plesantly surprised at the changes I have proposed to her. Her Ottrott has been modified to mimic the new Bedford she will be ordering as to prove out the dynamic changes to her proposed fit. I am sure she will report back once she rides her newly fitted Ottrott :)

Fingers crossed

Smiley, If you are doing the fit then I am sure all will be great!

slidey
08-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Nate Loyal, google him. In my experience with him (on 4 different bikes), I'd say he's candid (will tell you upfront if he thinks a bike can't be fit to you) and he's a master fitter.

Is there a west coast version of smiley?

rugbysecondrow
08-04-2012, 05:18 PM
There may be other fitters, but there is only one Smiley.

roguedog
08-04-2012, 06:00 PM
A little bit farther north, but i have heard great things for Curtis @ Revolutions in fitness.

Saw him @ a presentation before his client list got more famous. I really liked that he had a PT background before he went into the whole Bike fitting and coaching thing.

http://www.revolutionsinfitness.com/clients.html

Shoulda gone before he got more creds. :/

Ti Designs
08-04-2012, 06:12 PM
A little bit farther north, but i have heard great things for Curtis @ Revolutions in fitness.

From the website:
Trusted by the Pro's – Shouldn’t you choose who the pro’s choose?

That marketing is aimed at wannabes. Working with pros is a whole different thing from working with fitting average riders.

slidey
08-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Yup!

Just as misleading as it is to infer that a mechanic must be good since he's worked on a pro team/tour.

Working with pros is a whole different thing from working with fitting average riders.

sc53
08-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Spent two hours with Smiley, with visitations by two dogs and the lovely Karen Smiley. It turns out Karen's Ti Bedford is almost centimeter by centimeter my size! So I braved the obnoxious heat and rode it around for a while in the neighborhood, and spent time on my Ottrott and on the size cycle too. Right off the bat Smiley moved my cleats forward about an inch! He asked me who had mounted them; um, me. With no thought whatsoever, like I always do. I will use his measured placement as a template for my other pairs of bike shoes. Then we moved my saddle forward and lowered my bars as well, and shortened my stem. I will be riding my Ottrott with these new tweaks for the next couple of weeks, and if all is well those will be the measurements for my new Sport Tourer. It will look a lot like Karen's bike, and I may be going back to a Ladies Brooks saddle since, as Smiley pointed out shortly after noticing my ill-placed cleats, my Terry Butterfly is totally shot! It was all mushy in the middle. No wonder I was getting hot spots! I just thought it was the hot weather. It still looked OK so I've kept riding it for years. Yet another important tweak to be made to the Ottrott. I've already changed the mushy Butterfly for a firmer model which I was saving for when a saddle wore out. Turns out that had already happened. I also have a Berthoud ladies saddle, on my CSI, which I will bring to Smiley's when I return in 2 weeks for final sign-off and order on my new frame.
It was very enlightening to watch and hear Smiley work. I've never had such attention to such detail and I've ordered two custom bikes in the past!
I am biking to a Nats baseball game tomorrow with my bike club, which will be the first trip for the newly tweaked Ottrott. Smiley calls it "the mule" since it has been adjusted to a new set of measurements and will be ridden and evaluated for the next two weeks.
Great experience, and this was only the first step. I look forward to every step, including my final selection of paint color--and new Handlebra. :hello:

scrubadub
08-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Saw him @ a presentation before his client list got more famous. I really liked that he had a PT background before he went into the whole Bike fitting and coaching thing.

http://www.revolutionsinfitness.com/clients.html

Shoulda gone before he got more creds. :/

I'm not going to say anything publicly, but if anyone is interested in my experience with Revolutions in Fitness, I'd be happy to share them offline.

Ramjm_2000
08-05-2012, 08:05 AM
There may be other fitters, but there is only one Smiley.

Tru dat!

rugbysecondrow
08-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Great experience, and this was only the first step. I look forward to every step, including my final selection of paint color--and new Handlebra. :hello:

Sounds like a new project...details?

Smiley
08-05-2012, 11:09 AM
sc made the mistake of riding Karen Ti Sport Tourer and as they say the rest is history....we are working on Brooks for the lovely sc53

rugbysecondrow
08-05-2012, 01:01 PM
sc made the mistake of riding Karen Ti Sport Tourer and as they say the rest is history....we are working on Brooks for the lovely sc53

As an owner of a sport tourer, I understand. It is a great bike and I am certain Smiley and Kelly will take care of her.

Cheers.

palincss
08-05-2012, 02:45 PM
sc made the mistake of riding Karen Ti Sport Tourer and as they say the rest is history...

What are the specs for the Ti Sport Tourer: intended tire size, fenders yes or no, anticipated load, and how carried? How much of a "tourer" is the Sport Tourer?

sc53
08-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Tires up to 37 or even wider using canti brake (Karen's bike had some nice Paul's canti's with Salmon pads, no squealing and lots of stopping power); fenders optional if using the Easton cross fork; possibility for front mini rack or light rear rack for light load (no more than a GAP tour's worth of stuff). Thus, not a heavy duty Tour Divide or Adventure Cycling machine. But the possibility of a front or rear bag or both if needed for winter riding, picnicking, errands, or light credit card B&B touring. Or ride it naked clad only in a (handle)bra!

oldpotatoe
08-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Yup!

Just as misleading as it is to infer that a mechanic must be good since he's worked on a pro team/tour.

We always thought team wrenches were those that couldn't make it in a decent retail shop. 'Some' exceptions, like those long term wrenches who are personal wrenches to the stars, but even some of them are kinda goofy(DeVries(sp??)-3 days to glue a tubie for Lance comes to mind).

Lotsa pros in Boulder, I get to see some of the bicycles 'prepared' for them by team wrenches...yowser!!