PDA

View Full Version : How much sealant in tubeless?

bikerboy337
08-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Running some 23mm Hutchinson's in my Shamals, got em mounted, now I'm going to use some sealant (Caffee Latex). Appears that I should use between 50-100cc of sealant based on the bottle, but there are no instructions anywhere? What do people run in their tubeless?

Thanks.

93legendti
08-03-2012, 03:17 PM
I use the Stan's. 2 oz per tire.

It comes in 2 oz bottles as well as the bigger, economy size. The 2 oz bottle is easier to install thru the core because of the nozzle. So I reuse the small bottle and refill it from the big economy size.

Keith A
08-03-2012, 03:23 PM
None. I've been running the Dura-Ace 7850-SLs for a while now with Hutchinson tires and haven't used any sealant. I got spooked about Shimano stating they wouldn't warranty any wheels that had sealant used and so I decided forgo this. So far I've only had a couple of flats (been through 1/2 dozen tires) and it was pretty easy just to slap a tube in there and keep on rolling.

93legendti
08-03-2012, 03:48 PM
I ride with a guy who uses tubeless tires on tubeless wheels (Fulcrum's, i think) and he doesn't use sealant either. In 2 summers he hasn't had a flat...

Me? I'm paranoid. :)

Keith A
08-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Me? I'm paranoid. :)I'm paranoid too...just in a different way in not wanting to damage the surface of the rims. BTW, I purchased a set of wheels that was used by someone who had used a sealant and it had dried up and made a bit of a mess on the inside of the tires and rim. But the worse part was how it had gummed up the valve stems.

93legendti
08-03-2012, 04:26 PM
I don't doubt it's messy. Supposedly the Stan's cleans up with a rag and water.
It's worth it for me, 'cuz I HATE flats.

dekindy
08-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Bike Type Tire Size Amount of Caffélatex
Road Bikes all 25 ml -> 50 ml
MTB 26 x 1.50 through 2.10 50 ml
MTB 26 x 2.10 + 100 ml
MTB snow tire 26 x 3.7 + 150 ml
MTB 29 x 1.50 through 2.00 50 ml
MTB 29 x 2.00 + 100 ml
http://www.cantitoeroad.com/caffelatex-250ml-latex-tire-sealant

Stan's failed to seal two punctures that I thought that it should have so quit using it; have Shimano 7850sl's. Installed Caffelatex this Spring and recent puncture sealed enough to get me home which was 4 miles away. Inflated to 100 pounds and still had small bublle of air escaping so was not permanent seal but who cares as I did not have to deal with changing a messy tire on the road and prefer to patch permanently anyway. Found that Caffelatex had also sealed small leak around previous patch. Sold on Caffelatex and it is supposed to last longer without refreshment. Mine was 3 months old at time of puncture.

martinrjensen
08-05-2012, 10:06 AM
I have heard other people say that. I have never ever had a gummed up stem core and I have let a set sit till it all dried up.I'm paranoid too...just in a different way in not wanting to damage the surface of the rims. BTW, I purchased a set of wheels that was used by someone who had used a sealant and it had dried up and made a bit of a mess on the inside of the tires and rim. But the worse part was how it had gummed up the valve stems.

Cinci Jim
08-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Same wheels, tires and same result - I have had no flats, knock on wood. Love this combo!

None. I've been running the Dura-Ace 7850-SLs for a while now with Hutchinson tires and haven't used any sealant. I got spooked about Shimano stating they wouldn't warranty any wheels that had sealant used and so I decided forgo this. So far I've only had a couple of flats (been through 1/2 dozen tires) and it was pretty easy just to slap a tube in there and keep on rolling.

martinrjensen
08-05-2012, 12:14 PM
I can tell you for a fact it does. It's really not too bad. Just take the tire off and wipe the inside with a camp cloth. What's worse is getting the dries sealant off the inside edge of the rim. You can get it off though. I think I spent an hour cleaning up both wheels and tires. It's just a bike chore, I shouldn't have let the bike go that long without riding it so it served me right I supposeI don't doubt it's messy. Supposedly the Stan's cleans up with a rag and water.
It's worth it for me, 'cuz I HATE flats.

93legendti
08-05-2012, 12:42 PM
I can tell you for a fact it does. It's really not too bad. Just take the tire off and wipe the inside with a camp cloth. What's worse is getting the dries sealant off the inside edge of the rim. You can get it off though. I think I spent an hour cleaning up both wheels and tires. It's just a bike chore, I shouldn't have let the bike go that long without riding it so it served me right I suppose

Good to hear. That's what our mechanic told me, as well.

He sold me on tubeless by showing me a test mtb tire he did- he repeatedly pricked it with a spoke and it stayed full of air.

benc
08-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I ran 7850's and hutchinson fusion 3's for a year or so without sealant and had zero flats. Switched to Maxxis Padrones and they didn't hold air for more than a day or two so I put a squirt of stan's in each.

I know shimano says not to use sealant and I think I recall Maxxis saying the same. I have had zero problems with a little maintenance every few months.

Now if somebody would just make a 25-28c tubeless road tire...

Keith A
08-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Now if somebody would just make a 25-28c tubeless road tire...Hutchinson Intensive tubeless is a 25...
http://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/catalogue-route.php?fiche=intensive-rtl.php&univers=4&pid=10

dekindy
08-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Hutchinson Intensive tubeless is a 25...
http://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/catalogue-route.php?fiche=intensive-rtl.php&univers=4&pid=10

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/06/20/hutchinson-adds-lightweight-road-tubeless-absalon-black-mamba-mtb-cross-more/

New 28 Intensive. Tubeless ready so requires sealant; new category for road?:confused:

benc
08-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Hutchinson Intensive tubeless is a 25...

I actually have a pair. They measure closer to 23...

Keith A
08-06-2012, 09:29 AM
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/06/20/hutchinson-adds-lightweight-road-tubeless-absalon-black-mamba-mtb-cross-more/

New 28 Intensive.So what does this mean "The casing and bead are tubeless ready, meaning you’ll need sealant." I don't think I've seen a tubeless tire that required sealant.

rice rocket
08-06-2012, 09:35 AM
A lot of MTB tires are that way.

dekindy
08-06-2012, 11:56 AM
A lot of MTB tires are that way.

Wondering why the Intensive 28 would be built as tubeless ready requiring sealant when the other Hutchinson road tubeless models are not designed that way?

rice rocket
08-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Probably to hit a weight figure. The tubeless ready usually means they can use less rubber and rely on the sealant to create a seal.

It's the same reason UST tires have fallen out of favorability; they're usually 20-30% heavier than the tubeless ready tires.

dekindy
08-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Probably to hit a weight figure. The tubeless ready usually means they can use less rubber and rely on the sealant to create a seal.

It's the same reason UST tires have fallen out of favorability; they're usually 20-30% heavier than the tubeless ready tires.

Makes sense as the other new road models introduced are to address the perceived need for less weight.

dekindy
08-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Punctured again 4 miles from the end of a ride, not sure which, but Caffelatex saved the day again as I was able to ride in at full speed; love that product.

Bike Type Tire Size Amount of Caffélatex
Road Bikes all 25 ml -> 50 ml
MTB 26 x 1.50 through 2.10 50 ml
MTB 26 x 2.10 + 100 ml
MTB snow tire 26 x 3.7 + 150 ml
MTB 29 x 1.50 through 2.00 50 ml
MTB 29 x 2.00 + 100 ml
http://www.cantitoeroad.com/caffelatex-250ml-latex-tire-sealant

Stan's failed to seal two punctures that I thought that it should have so quit using it; have Shimano 7850sl's. Installed Caffelatex this Spring and recent puncture sealed enough to get me home which was 4 miles away. Inflated to 100 pounds and still had small bublle of air escaping so was not permanent seal but who cares as I did not have to deal with changing a messy tire on the road and prefer to patch permanently anyway. Found that Caffelatex had also sealed small leak around previous patch. Sold on Caffelatex and it is supposed to last longer without refreshment. Mine was 3 months old at time of puncture.

Aaron_Kellogg
08-13-2012, 10:01 PM
flirting with using a set of Dura Ace wh-7801's for cross this year with some of the hutch CX offerings. Would you advise more sealant? Also, I've read people reference using non tubeless tires with a tubeless set-up (i.e. Michelin Muds). Any experience with this type of set up?

dekindy
08-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Puncture was straight through the patch so the cut in the tire is just too big. Anyway, got several hundred miles more out of the tire so time to change to a new one. Got close to the miles I normally do despite having to patch the tire twice.