PDA

View Full Version : GB track bikes and their forks

jmoore
08-03-2012, 12:10 PM
What is going on with these things?

http://www.75grad.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Team+GB+Track+Cycling+Media+Session+H5pAwPdNe35x.j pg

SoulCycle
08-03-2012, 12:13 PM
The drops look crazier than the forks... :eek:

parris
08-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Hey isn't that one of the bikes featured in the old video on British bicycle manufacture?

monkeybanana86
08-03-2012, 12:22 PM
i was wondering the same thing. GB has a lot of money to spend on being aero. I wonder what the benefits were for those forks.

But here's an interesting quote from an article I had posted here a bit ago.

"Staff said Brailsford spent millions of pounds to develop a faster, lighter helmet. This included a prototype, meticulously researched and developed, then tested to make sure it was legal. “So they spent all this money,” Staff said, “and as far as I was aware — because they still limited what they’d tell the actual athletes — but I’m led to believe there wasn’t any gain. But everyone sees that Britain has its own custom helmets. Then it’s more of a mind game.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/23/sports/olympics/2012-olympics-how-britain-conquered-the-cycling-world.html?pagewanted=all

MattTuck
08-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Perhaps more laterally stiff? Never thought of that as a concern for front wheels... but I suppose it could matter in some way if an athlete is really pulling on the bars?

Auk
08-03-2012, 12:35 PM
From what I've read elsewhere, the forks lessen the turbulance in that area when used with the Mavic front disc and 5-spoke wheels.

mvrider
08-03-2012, 12:37 PM
To compete with the Moonlander!
http://surlybikes.com/uploads/bikes/bikes_moonlander.jpg

esldude
08-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Yeah, watching some of the sprints I noticed those bars. Noticed LOOK seemed to be the most common frame. GB frames didn't have name that I saw. Anyone know anything about the Bluebird frame the Russians were using?

Also was surprised some of the Japanese riders not wearing aero helmets. Appeared to have the regular road helmets on.

It appears some riders were using clipless pedals while others as is usual for track racing using straps and clips.

bambam
08-03-2012, 12:54 PM
bars make sense in that the drop is cutting the leading edge for the arms as opposed to having both the arms and the bars cutting the wind.
I like the moonlander theory for the fork reasoning.:)

Fixed
08-03-2012, 12:57 PM
I think it has to do with air flow
My guess since I don't know much really about anything
Cheers :eek:

KidWok
08-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Zipp had mentioned on their website some time ago that they did not do tri-spokes because the there was an air dam effect happening at the fork when each column passed through narrow fork legs. I believe Trek's Speed Concept also spaced out the fork blades quite a bit because of this. My guess would be Team GB took it to a whole new level.

Tai

John M
08-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Based on how the GB track team is doing thus far, the forks don't seem to be slowing them down.

jmoore
08-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Based on how the GB track team is doing thus far, the forks don't seem to be slowing them down.

no kidding. DANG those riders are fast. Men and women.

it makes me want to get back on the velodrome.

sandyrs
08-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah, watching some of the sprints I noticed those bars. Noticed LOOK seemed to be the most common frame. GB frames didn't have name that I saw. Anyone know anything about the Bluebird frame the Russians were using?

Also was surprised some of the Japanese riders not wearing aero helmets. Appeared to have the regular road helmets on.

It appears some riders were using clipless pedals while others as is usual for track racing using straps and clips.

I'm pretty sure what was going on was guys with clipless pedals and supplementary toe straps to keep them from losing control if they unclip while really laying down the power in a sprint. Sort of the modern version of the shoes that are directly connected to the pedals so you need someone else to help you enter/exit them. This isn't a shot from the current Olympics, but it's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2012/03/30/1333106512443-rixi26fmozep-670-75.jpg

Someone correct me if guys are still using clip/strap/platform setups.

blantonator
08-03-2012, 03:35 PM
I'm pretty sure what was going on was guys with clipless pedals and supplementary toe straps to keep them from losing control if they unclip while really laying down the power in a sprint. Sort of the modern version of the shoes that are directly connected to the pedals so you need someone else to help you enter/exit them. This isn't a shot from the current Olympics, but it's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2012/03/30/1333106512443-rixi26fmozep-670-75.jpg

that guy has some serious legs.

monkeybanana86
08-03-2012, 09:43 PM

I believe poland is still using toe clips with platform pedals. one guy came out of the pedal right at the beginning and fell and when he was looking at the bottom of his shoe it looked like he had a specially made surface/block mounted there to fit against the back of the pedal.

mvrider
08-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Just watched today's races, and here's pattern I noticed on the Team GB bikes:
team pursuit - disk front wheel - wide fork
keirin - bladed front wheel - narrow fork

oldpotatoe
08-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Remember the GT bike that the USA so famously lost everything on??

It ain't about the bike, even on the track.

http://classiccycleus.com/home/?p=4602

08-04-2012, 10:54 AM
A few teams and riders are sponsored on pedals, such as the French with Looks. Otherwise, it's up to the rider. They can also customize pedals with straps if they want, and we've figured out hardware to do this on practically any pedal. Some still work better than others.

On the British fork, it's to reduce turbulence around an Io front wheel. They did extensive studies and especially with a new Io in the works at Mavic, they wanted to optimize performance there. It's also amazingly stiff, more so than the prior forks. It isn't about the size of the profile you present to the wind, it's about how the wind treats it.

And as for those bars, they're designed to give the forearms a little bit of aerodynamics. Generally speaking, bars are getting much narrower. A 34 or 35 cm bar is not uncommon on the track these days. And we're seeing it even on the road -- the Tour this year had a fair number of 38 and 40 cm bars, where previously you only saw 42-46's. It isn't just about small riders. It's more aerodynamic and actually can promote better lung capacity than wider bars. And it certainly enhances your power.

bart998
08-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Looks like an old Ashtabula fork to me... straight off a Schwinn Varsity.