PDA

View Full Version : Remember the NYC2012 Olympics?

torquer
08-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Once upon a time, NYC was actually in the running for this year's games.
NYTimes remembers, and had some fun with a "what if" scenario:

The imaginary Olympic Village in New York was still buzzing today about Thursday’s decision by the Rules Committee to declare a do-over in the men’s time trial cycling event after the great British cyclist Bradley Wiggins, who was leading the race, was stopped by three different New Yorkers asking where their takeout orders were. Just hours later the same committee stripped Jinjie Gong of China and Virginie Cueff of France of their medals in the women’s five-kilometer pedicab event for complaining about small tips.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/03/arts/imagining-the-2012-olympic-games-in-new-york.html?_r=1&ref=arts

I could imagine BikeSnobNY as a color commentator for cycling events, and maybe some bike messenger versus taxi jousting exhibition events to add local color. Plus decent (echt) NYC bagels, pizza, and cheesecake served up at the athlete's village.

Actually, the weather here has been awfull (though typical for early August), so I'm willing to admit my own support for NYC's Olympic bid was wrong. (I did recognize the westside stadium was a poison pill, but I liked the idea of organizing sites around improved transportation corridors).

Anyway, any of you forumites want to nominate your own city/region as a site for future games, listing unique local features or advantages, or, conversely, give the IOC good reasons not to consider your locale?

fiamme red
08-03-2012, 11:25 AM
If the Olympics were here, I'd be out of town now. :)

Fixed
08-03-2012, 12:52 PM
If they were in NYC you would have a state of the art velodrome .
Cheers

torquer
08-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Maybe we'd get that velodrome, but more likely it wouldn't be ready on time. Doubts about our ability to get anything significant done in a timely manner were one of the prime arguements against the award to NYC.

They've had, what, two years to put the bike share system into place. Anybody seen anything on that front?

echelon_john
08-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Nelson Vails driving a derney would have been awesome.

victoryfactory
08-03-2012, 01:31 PM
I wonder if they would have had the road race over the GW bridge
and up to bear MT.

fiamme red
08-03-2012, 01:49 PM
I wonder if they would have had the road race over the GW bridge
and up to bear MT.The road race was proposed to be held on an 8-mile hilly loop in northern Staten Island.

fiamme red
08-03-2012, 01:52 PM
They've had, what, two years to put the bike share system into place. Anybody seen anything on that front?I think some more demos are scheduled for this week. :rolleyes:

The Olympics would have been a disaster for NYC, but a great boon for Bloomblight's billionaire friends in real estate.

g00dride
08-04-2012, 08:40 PM
As big a PIA as it might have been, it would have been damn fun.

nooneline
08-05-2012, 04:00 PM
The Olympics would have been a disaster for NYC, but a great boon for Bloomblight's billionaire friends in real estate.

Kind of like how it's gone down in London.