PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mavic Ksyrium Elite Clincher Wheelset

Chuck Hammer
08-03-2012, 08:40 AM
These are on sale at CC. Any likes or dislikes about them as an everyday road wheel? Seems like a reasonable price... Thanks

soupless
08-03-2012, 08:51 AM
I've ridden a pair a few times and liked them. My friend has some and we swap wheels for the heck of it. Some say Ksyriums are harsh, but i just thought they felt solid.

If I remember correctly, they're very similar to the Ksyrium SLs, but with widely available, uniform size, bladed steel spokes rather than the front/rear/drive/non-drive specific Zircal ones you find on the SL.

They were a decent enough deal at $675, so i'd say this is a good buy.

Kontact
08-03-2012, 08:57 AM
If you have a 2007 Ksyrium, you aren't able to replace the spokes anymore. Mavic's proprietary parts never stay in stock for all that long. I'd consider something with more replaceable parts.

maxdog
08-03-2012, 09:03 AM
I own Ksyrium SL Premiums and they have been bullet proof. Given that, I still prefer many of my other wheels. My feeling is the Mavic hubs leave something to be desired in overall efficiency. BTW they are relatively stiff, but I like tight wheels, just like a prefer the ride of a sports car to a sedan.

Seramount
08-03-2012, 09:58 AM
never mind...didn't see the CC price.

Mikej
08-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Go to REAL CYCLIST, owns Comp Cyclist - they have them at the same $$$ and free shipping over 50$ The MAVIC grip link / power link tires are 30 bucks and are my favs -

pdmtong
08-03-2012, 10:11 AM
the elites are the max value point in the lineup....1510 grams and on sale $475...not the best wheel ever, but the best intersection of price ride weight etc.

Chuck Hammer
08-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks All for the input

Mikej - thanks for the Realcyclist lead that makes the most sense.

dvs cycles
08-03-2012, 06:55 PM
I have 2 sets from the last 2 generations of these and LOTS of miles with no problems. Just service the cassette body everytime you replace the chain at or around 300 miles, or it can wear out the bushing causing cassette wobble. Found that out the hard way but only a $50 fix.

tuxbailey
08-03-2012, 08:54 PM
If you have a 2007 Ksyrium, you aren't able to replace the spokes anymore. Mavic's proprietary parts never stay in stock for all that long. I'd consider something with more replaceable parts.

What? So if I have a busted spoke in my Ksyrium ES I am SOL?

oldpotatoe
08-04-2012, 07:57 AM
These are on sale at CC. Any likes or dislikes about them as an everyday road wheel? Seems like a reasonable price... Thanks

What Kontact said and still, STILL, really poor rear hub design. I really don't mind OVH these rear hubs at $30 a wack, but 2 pawl, plastic bushing. Mavic ought to be ashamed..this hub even on their $1000++ wheelsets.

Older spokes not made any longer, some of the latest wheels, aluminum spokes different than other models, real PITA.

Kontact
08-04-2012, 12:14 PM
What? So if I have a busted spoke in my Ksyrium ES I am SOL?

Correct.

And to riff on what Oldespud said, the freehub body bushings were out and cost $90 to replace. Feh.

Kane
08-04-2012, 12:42 PM
The free hub body is the worst design POS in the history of bicycling. The engagement is horrible. I went thru 5 or 6 freehubs on a crossmax rear wheel (same design and same freehub). Why not buy some Campy or Shimano hubs and ride them for ten years with a good set of rims. I sure the Potatoe could make a nice set of wheels that would last forever.
When I broke a spoke on my wheels the third bike shop that I went to had a Mavic Aluminum spoke box with ten different types of spokes. I live in Marin county and all of our bike shops are so much better than you would find in a most other places. (Read: Lots of bike riders and lots of $$. Come sit outside at a coffee shop in Sausilto and you will see a million dollars worth of bikes roll by in an hour, every hour).
However, smart people buy wheels with parts that are available everywhere. You never know. (After my spoke problem, I bought a half dozen and I carried them in the trunk of my car).
I have yet to see a Hadley rear hub on a road bike, but if I road Shimano equipment that is the best hub on the planet.
Cheers,
Kane
ps. Mavic's failure to change their freehub body design for ten years is the equivalent of Microsoft keeping their file name restricted to 8 characters for ten years after MAC went to 32 and beyond. Bad Philosophy and they are going the way of General Motors. Mavic sure to follow.

tuxbailey
08-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Correct.

And to riff on what Oldespud said, the freehub body bushings were out and cost $90 to replace. Feh.

I ought to stock up a few front spokes, and few rear ones as well...

http://roguemechanic.bigcartel.com/product/mavic-ksyrium-black-zicral-bladed-drive-side-rear-spoke

russ46
08-06-2012, 12:23 PM
I just finished rebuilding the rear wheel of 2009 Elite set. I'll begin by saying the wheel was abused - 1 season of cycle cross racing & a 100 mile MTB race, which was finished but w/2 broke spokes. I took on the rebuild for a close acquaintance. Short story version is I ended up replacing all the spokes because only 2 of the 20 were not seized (spoke to the nipple). As previously mentioned in this thread, the bushing on the free hub body was worn so I bought a new one from a LBS. I did find an ebay business who carries the bushings (approx $25), but decided I didn't want to hassle with ebay & paid $$.

Did a test ride yesterday & the wheel appears healed. This was the first time I had ridden on Mavics. I liked them - nice & stiff - a good climbing wheel.

Lesson's learned - I would really watch for corrosion on the spoke nipples - both between the rim & the nipple & between the brass spoke nut & the nipple. Also check for cassette play periodically - play will show up when the bushing wears.

vpierce1
08-07-2012, 09:30 PM
If you're pretty light go for it. I have years of road riding, cross racing, and single track thrashing on my pair with no problems.

Aaron_Kellogg
08-08-2012, 11:19 AM
I have a second hand set of 07ish Ksyrium Equipes that I had to replace the cassette hub body on recently. Its was an easy enough repair (I'm moderately capable) and I think it cost about 50 bucks. I'd be inclined to agree with the previous posts suggesting getting something like an ultegra to open pro. Easily serviced and super durable.

dvs cycles
08-08-2012, 07:15 PM
If you're pretty light go for it. I have years of road riding, cross racing, and single track thrashing on my pair with no problems.

Define light. I'm 190 and mine have been bulletproof.

vpierce1
08-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Well there you go. I'm ~145-150 and don't think I've ever had to have them trued even after hitting some gnarly roots and potholes. My Ultegra/Dt build however I'm servicing the bearings and freehub at least once a year. Long run they'll last longer but I don't have to touch the Mavics.

trfkas
08-09-2012, 07:53 PM
mine are awesome, older model 2009 i think...
they take any and all abuse i throw at them...
jumping off curbs, trails, bunny-hopping potholes in the ****ty streets of la...
rock-solid..

Kontact
08-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Let's be clear here:

None of the detractors are saying that these wheels don't perform or are wimpy. They are just not designed to last, and use parts that aren't going to be available for long.

It is simply not hard to match or exceed the performance of these wheels with quality parts for less money, and have the ability to replace a damaged spoke at most any bike store. It just seems like a premium to pay for less of everything.

cmg
08-10-2012, 08:02 AM
it's the plastic bushing i can't get past. Why not use a real bearing and be bullet proof.

Chuck Hammer
08-10-2012, 11:26 AM
The first thing I did not like before opening the box was made in China on the side of the box. Imagine I actually thought they would of come from France. What everyone here has confirmed is that they may need routine maintenance. I always use my LBS for the serious work but enjoy the routine stuff which is part of owning and riding a bicycle.
If I get this bike built in a reasonable time frame I'll report back my thoughts. I am using HED Ardennes on the Colorado III and Mavic Ksyrium SR's (and these really have some odd parts) on my Paul Taylor.

Thanks All!
Chuck

nightfend
08-10-2012, 02:55 PM
$450 is a pretty good deal for this wheelset. I'd grab a set if I needed another set of wheels for training.

oldpotatoe
08-11-2012, 08:52 AM
$450 is a pretty good deal for this wheelset. I'd grab a set if I needed another set of wheels for training.

Or a 5700 hubset, Mavic Open Sport, DT 450, other rims...even with labor $ to build, at or less than these with far superior hubs, IMHO.

nightfend
08-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Or a 5700 hubset, Mavic Open Sport, DT 450, other rims...even with labor $ to build, at or less than these with far superior hubs, IMHO.

There is NOWAY that the setup you just listed would be in the 1500 gram range. You are looking at 1700 to 1800 grams.

oldpotatoe
08-14-2012, 07:58 AM
There is NOWAY that the setup you just listed would be in the 1500 gram range. You are looking at 1700 to 1800 grams.

The Elites are listed at 1550, probably higher but 150 grams or so, 5 ounces, for that you get a rebuildable wheel with standard spokes and a far superior hubset. Add a somewhat lighter rim and $60 or so and approach that 1550 mark(as if it's magic or something). The gent mentioned a set of 'training wheels'.

I don't mind charging $30 to overhaul these rear hubs all the time...fine with me but Mavic ought to be ashamed of the rear hub/freehub design..even on a $500 wheelset it is appalling but same hub on $1500+ wheelsets also. Poor form.

That and their clicking wedge OpenPro that has been an issue for over a decade...At least the OpenSport's don't click.