PDA

View Full Version : Ride advice needed

Tom
08-03-2012, 07:51 AM
I'm not going to the office next week and need a long ride. Posting here because there might be some upstate local knowledge that could be insightful.

- Choice 1: West on 5 from Dorptown, north just east of Amsterdam to Rte 29, to Rte 30, north on 30 to Rte 8 in Wells to Rte 28 to Warrensburg. In Warrensburg take the road along the Hudson to 9N and south back to side roads or around the lake or something back to Dorptown. About 170 miles.

- Choice 2: Same ride except stay on 30 to Speculator, up past Indian Lake to 28 to 8 to 30 and back the way I came. About 200 miles.

- Choice 3: Drive to Wells, loop the 30 - 28 - 8 thing two and part of a third time.

Drawback of 1 and 2 is that I am familiar with some of the out and some of the back and there's populated areas. Drawback of 3 is driving there and repeating.

Any opinions?

yarg
08-03-2012, 12:16 PM
With that length of ride you could try something completly different, why not go West then South, hit the Catskills?

CNY rider
08-03-2012, 12:22 PM
If you want to ride west (Otsego County) I can help you out with great local routes, off the beaten path.
Maxdog is on your way out here and I'm sure can also offer some great tips.

maxdog
08-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Hey Tom, I live in Sharon Springs about 40 mi west of you. Not sure, besides long, what kind of ride your looking for, ie hills, scenery, etc.., but would love to hook up for some, or possibly all of it. I have lots of rides I do from short 20mi loops on up. My feeling about rt 5/5s, is they're too flat, being along the river, but a good conduit for you to get to places east or west. If your interested in a dialogue about potential routes or even getting together for a ride, contact me. - Glenn