PDA

View Full Version : Hot pants (and other UK cycle racing R&D)

mvrider
08-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Chris Boardman:
"One idea - and it's so good I can't believe nobody's thought of it - is 'hot pants'," smiles Boardman, before elaborating.

"When riders go on the rollers before a race, they are trying to warm up their muscle temperature. But, because of the practicalities of racing, they have to stop about 10 minutes before the race to prepare and be in the right place.

"Muscles cool down really quickly, so we now give them these pants when they get off the rollers that are heated to about 35 degrees. They keep them on until the moment they get on the track.

"It's the track cycling version of tyre warmers in F1. From here on, I think we're going to see that become a standard piece of equipment."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19089259

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/61970000/jpg/_61970107_61970106.jpg

dave thompson
08-02-2012, 01:10 PM
OK, I'll go first.

Now these are hot pants!

FlashUNC
08-02-2012, 01:21 PM
They should come race down South. No worries about muscles cooling down here, where the "RealFeel" today is about 106.

Jaq
08-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Raises an interesting point that I'm sure's been discussed ad nauseum, but at what point is a wealthy nation's ability to produce game-changing tech unfair? If, as the article seems to suggest, tech made the difference, does there come a point where "hot pants" aren't allowed? Does there come a point where the competitors are issued all equipment by the governing body so as to level the playing field?

Mores aside, it's interesting that tweaking the tech is acceptable, but tweaking the rider is not.

rice rocket
08-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Raises an interesting point that I'm sure's been discussed ad nauseum, but at what point is a wealthy nation's ability to produce game-changing tech unfair? If, as the article seems to suggest, tech made the difference, does there come a point where "hot pants" aren't allowed? Does there come a point where the competitors are issued all equipment by the governing body so as to level the playing field?

Mores aside, it's interesting that tweaking the tech is acceptable, but tweaking the rider is not.

See swimming.

christian
08-02-2012, 03:22 PM
This is genius. And I bet those pants are really damn expensive. Tire warmers in motorsports cost a fortune. Admittedly, they do heat things a LOT hotter than those pants would.

mvrider
08-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Any sailors in the forum? One example I can conjure up is Olympic sailing, with "one-design" boats such as the Star class. But I get the feeling there are tweaks even within these constraints.

But the truth is that athletic success will always have a strong dependence on a country or organization's willingness and ability to invest in it. Just because you've been issued hot pants and custom track bikes doesn't mean that you have the velodrome to train in, the nutritionists to optimize your diet, or the coaches to tweak your riding position.

Chance
08-02-2012, 04:28 PM

Not that life can ever be "fair" in the first place, but don't you think that cost is minor compared to everything else? All the training, traveling, time off work, and so on. The added cost of "hot pants" is probably so little in comparison that it doesn't even show up on the radar.

To your point though, yes, wealthy nations seem better represented.