PDA

View Full Version : Handling carbon and aluminum wheel changes

elcolombiano
08-02-2012, 12:25 AM
I am getting carbon wheels. They need special brake pads. What is the most efficient way to be able to shuffle carbon and aluminum wheels back and forth on the same bike.

1. Change calipers each time (each caliper has permanent dedicated pads)

2. Change rubber brake blocks each time

3. Change brake pad with pad holders each time.

4. other suggestions?

The 2011 and 2012 Campy Chorus and Record brakes are supposed to be designed for rapid pad changing. Should I do this?

firerescuefin
08-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Pads themselves are pretty easy to slip out of the pad holders...a little dry lube on them before first install should take care of it. I do this quite often.

dave thompson
08-02-2012, 12:52 AM
If the pad alignment is correct for both wheels, brake pad changeout would be the easiest. If not, then a pad holder change with each wheel would be The answer. I wouldn't change calipers, too expensive and not really necessary for you want to do.

sokyroadie
08-02-2012, 04:39 AM
The 2011/2012 Campy brakes are very easy to change pads on - they have a square recess in the pad and a small clip that drops in the recess as you slide the pad in place. Raise the clip and the pad slides out easily.

I had to modify some 2011 Reynolds pads that did not have the recess in them, so not sure if all carbon pads are 2011/2012 compatible without modifications. The pads are way to easy to remove without the recess.

Jeff

AngryScientist
08-02-2012, 06:11 AM
i dont know your riding habits, but i use my rear brakes soooo infrequently that i just leave the carbon specific pads in the rear. they will work for alu, and are unlikely to pick up any real grit or alu shards from how little braking i do with them.

i bought a set of jagwire pad holders for the front, and swap when necessary.

oldpotatoe
08-02-2012, 07:56 AM
I am getting carbon wheels. They need special brake pads. What is the most efficient way to be able to shuffle carbon and aluminum wheels back and forth on the same bike.

1. Change calipers each time (each caliper has permanent dedicated pads)

2. Change rubber brake blocks each time

3. Change brake pad with pad holders each time.

4. other suggestions?

The 2011 and 2012 Campy Chorus and Record brakes are supposed to be designed for rapid pad changing. Should I do this?

Number 3.

R2D2
08-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Number 3.

+1.
It's what I've been using for years. Takes a minute or two and you are sure to re-align on the rim.

ergott
08-02-2012, 08:32 AM
I don't ride my alloy wheels enough to bother. I leave my Enve pads on all the time. Luckily, I don't have to adjust the pads for the different brake surfaces. I just adjust the width with the barrel adjuster.

false_Aest
08-02-2012, 08:44 AM
change pads.
re-adjust shoes.

I have to adjust cable length for my rims. Luckily its just a flip of the QR to make it work.

i think i can get it done in under 5 min now.

Zinn even said that you don't have to leave that safety screw in.

Kontact
08-02-2012, 08:52 AM
If swapping the blocks out doesn't work because of alignment, I think I'd actually just swap calipers. It will take less time than doing four pad alignments. Seal the cable ends with solder or glue rather than cable crimps.

Tektro 530 or Cane Creek SCR-3 calipers are pretty cheap but work well.