PDA

View Full Version : Continental gp4000

ericspin
09-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Has anyone out there tried these new Conti's? If so, what do you think?

CalfeeFly
09-24-2005, 04:52 PM
I haven't tried them but the Vectran is a cool idea. The most recent Velo has them described.

Russ
09-25-2005, 12:36 AM
I have been using them since a few days after they were introduced in the European market (late August). So, as of today, my view is limited....

However, so far I think they are great tires. Better than the GP 3000 and the Attack/Force combo, which I now also ride. I used to ride on Veloflexes, but I got sick of getting flats lately.... I feel there is more and more glass in the routes I ride!

The only complain I have a bout Conti's in general, including the GP 4000 is that I feel that they are a bit "slippery" when new. I think the Veloflexes have a better road grip when you first ride them. But after 60 or 70 miles the Contis are great!

Cheers!

coylifut
09-25-2005, 09:39 AM
I have been using them since a few days after they were introduced in the European market (late August). So my view so far is limited....

However, so far I think they are great tires. Better than the GP 3000 and the Attack/Force combo. I used to ride on Veloflexes, but I got sick of getting flats lately.... I feel there is more and more glass in the routes I ride!

The only complain I have a bout Conti's in general, including the GP 4000 is that I feel that they are a bit "slippery" when new. I think the Veloflexes have a better road grip when you first ride them. But after 60 or 70 miles they are great!

Cheers!

Mr. Russ, I've always found the 3000s to be very flat resistant, but the sidewalls lacking. So, the question, are the sidewalls improved?

Sandy
09-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Mr. Russ, I've always found the 3000s to be very flat resistant, but the sidewalls lacking. So, the question, are the sidewalls improved?

I liked the 3000's also. They gave excellent flat protection, were very durable, handled well, seemed to give excellent road adhesion, and seemed very efficient when you started to accelerate. I was extremely satisfied, but decided to stop using them because of what others said about the sidewall weakness. I would love to try them again, assuming that the sidewall is no longer an issue.

Sidewall Sandy

Russ
09-25-2005, 12:08 PM

The flats I was making reference to were the Veloflexes not the Contis. I have not gotten any flats with the GP 4000. If you think the GP 3000 are very flat resistant, think of the GP 4000 as better flat resistant AND lighter! That's Vectran for you...

As far as the other Conti types, I have had only flats in situations were I think ANY tire would have flatted. For instance, as is the case when I was riding my Attack/Force and a heavy duty staple (the small type used for boxes) went on the side of the rear tire, near the sidewall. Now, if this happened to a Veloflex, I am certain that tire would have probably been trashed... I have had (Veloflex) tires go bad on me with lesser damage. With the Conti, I just pulled the staple out, replaced the tube and I am still using that tire with no problems!

BTW, I never had a problem with Contis with the black sidewalls, only rarely with the brown (transparent, as they call them in Europe) side walls.... And that was a few years ago. So far, 1000 miles on the GP 4000 (and some miles on the others) and no problemos with the sidewall, etc.

So Sandy, give the GP 4K a try....

Mr. Russ :)

PS
I still think the Veloflex tires are great and they offer a nice ride quality. However, as mentioned, I could not afford the many flats!

Bradford
09-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Sandy,

I wouldn't worry about the sidewalls. There are a few people here who hate Contis and voice there opinions loud and often, but it is only a few people. Most of the reviews I read about Contis are very positive.

I ride Conti's on 3 bikes (plus my wife ride them also) and have for 15 years. I have had great luck on them. I can't wait to get the GP 4000s (in blue) on my bike.

dave thompson
09-25-2005, 02:45 PM
I had an opportunity yesterday to handle a set of the new GP4000s. I was quite surprised how soft and 'supple' they felt, quite nice. Unfortunately they were a set of dealer samples, but I'll have a pair as soon as they arrive.

sam
09-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Can you tell me what direction the tread is supposed to go in for the GP 3000s? Does it matter?

I have asked at 2 shops and gotten difference answers.

dave thompson
09-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Can you tell me what direction the tread is supposed to go in for the GP 3000s? Does it matter?

I have asked at 2 shops and gotten difference answers.
GP3000s are not directional. If a tire has a direction, it will have an arrow on the sidewall pointing the orientation. The GP3000 does not have this arrow.

mdeeds71
09-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Although there is no arrow most tires behave differently when ran in wet conditions in either direction...As a tire rolls to the rear you want the inner of the chevrons or tread to go onto the contact patch first thus as it rolls it pumps the water to the outboard of the chevrons...

This is more of an issue for MTB and wet wx road but the above concept is reversed for braking action vs traction.

GregLR
09-25-2005, 10:32 PM
UK Cycling Weekly of 10 September (page 50) gave the GP4000 a pretty good report. After a description of the technical features, Richard Hallet (the tech editor) noted:

"...The initial impression was of a fast but uncommunicative tyre, but on further acquaintance it became clear that there is a substantial reduction in vibration from the road surface, presumably due to the enhanced vibration dampening properties of Vectran.

With familiarity, the excellent ride and rolling qualities of the tyre - which unquestionably exceed those of the 3000 - can be fully appreciated. After 500 miles in mixed weather and road conditions, there was no sign of a cut, let alone a flat. The tyre seems slightly thicker than that of the 3000, and by virtue of the wear indicators should ensure significantly greater mileage..."