PDA

View Full Version : Rapha rant and TT spoiler....

67-59
08-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I'll preface this by saying I'm a fan of Rapha products - have several of their jerseys, base layers, bibs and other stuff - and have always found it a good value even though pricey. I also enjoy their enthusiasm for the sport, and like their videos. Because of that, I'm on their mailing list.

But NEVER in a million years did I expect that their marketing email today would contain - without any "TT spoiler" or similar mention in the subject line - the results of the friggin TT! So there it was, 1:00 pm my local time (Central), with the TT recorded on my DVR so I could watch it when I got home, when I opened this email only to see "Congratulations to Bradley Wiggins on getting the UK's first Olympic Gold" in the very first sentence. Again, no mention of the TT or its results - just a clear spoiler right in the first sentence. Guess I'll have time to cut the grass after all.:mad:

I was actually feeling bad for the Brits flaming out at their own Olympics...but not so much any more.

Are the Brits totally clueless about spoiler warnings?

MattTuck
08-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I think they did it to get back at us for 1776.

67-59
08-01-2012, 06:01 PM

Now that made me laugh.

Maybe I should ask if they're going to post total Olympic medal counts in future emails.:butt:

slidey
08-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I feel you on this! For similar reasons, I "liked" Probikekit, another UK online retailer, on facebook and during the tour the idiots would just put up pics from the finish line of the stage each morning. I thought it was an unsaid rule that you don't piss on someone's tour watching experience by doing such things, and here a prominent UK online retailer just blows all caution to the wind. Well, I've since disconnected my ties with their facebook page. However, I don't think all UK co's are this clueless, for e.g. Wiggle.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a fan of Rapha products - have several of their jerseys, base layers, bibs and other stuff - and have always found it a good value even though pricey. I also enjoy their enthusiasm for the sport, and like their videos. Because of that, I'm on their mailing list.

But NEVER in a million years did I expect that their marketing email today would contain - without any "TT spoiler" or similar mention in the subject line - the results of the friggin TT! So there it was, 1:00 pm my local time (Central), with the TT recorded on my DVR so I could watch it when I got home, when I opened this email only to see "Congratulations to Bradley Wiggins on getting the UK's first Olympic Gold" in the very first sentence. Again, no mention of the TT or its results - just a clear spoiler right in the first sentence. Guess I'll have time to cut the grass after all.:mad:

I was actually feeling bad for the Brits flaming out at their own Olympics...but not so much any more.

MattTuck
08-01-2012, 06:26 PM
I feel you on this! For similar reasons, I "liked" Probikekit, another UK online retailer, on facebook and during the tour the idiots would just put up pics from the finish line of the stage each morning. I thought it was an unsaid rule that you don't piss on someone's tour watching experience by doing such things, and here a prominent UK online retailer just blows all caution to the wind. Well, I've since disconnected my ties with their facebook page. However, I don't think all UK co's are this clueless, for e.g. Wiggle.

It's actually funny, when you think about it. All the issues 'normal' people are having with these olympics are pretty much ones that cycling fans have been dealing with for the last 10 years. Since virtually all the major races are in Europe, and it is hard to watch them live in the US, especially tours that happen during the work week, we've been used to this kind of self imposed media black out that needs to happen to preserve the excitement of watching a pre-recorded race.

I actually wrote a business plan a few years back for a company called EmbargoMe geared toward the DVR/time delayed world, which was going to sit as a layer on top of your phone/email/browser and block out any messages about sensitive topics (be they sports, reality TV, american idol type things) so that you could preserve the excitement and watch it later.

No one seemed to think it was a big deal at the time, and I never pursued it. But I wish I had!!

jlwdm
08-01-2012, 06:48 PM
I watch time trials, but it is not like you are missing an exciting finish. Just a bunch of riders individually - not a lot of drama.

Jeff

Fixed
08-01-2012, 08:03 PM

I think that happened in 1812
Cheers:)

beeatnik
08-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Wait, does Rapha care about racing? Thought those helmet-less cats only cared about style :confused::cool:

slidey
08-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Hmm...this sounds like a really good plan, honestly. I'm trapped in a time warp since I don't even have a TV, let alone a DVR and rely on my laptop for everything so don't know if someone's picked up on your proposed idea already...but if they haven't, I'd say it has a lot of potential. You should pursue it...but I see a good possibility of running into issues with the media co's, etc with blacking out certain content, etc. Still it's definitely a good idea!

I actually wrote a business plan a few years back for a company called EmbargoMe geared toward the DVR/time delayed world, which was going to sit as a layer on top of your phone/email/browser and block out any messages about sensitive topics (be they sports, reality TV, american idol type things) so that you could preserve the excitement and watch it later.

No one seemed to think it was a big deal at the time, and I never pursued it. But I wish I had!!

fiamme red
08-01-2012, 08:33 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1126404.1343804419!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/gallery_635/bramhall-world-olympic-time-delay.jpg

FlashUNC
08-01-2012, 08:39 PM

So you're unhappy that a British company sent out a congratulatory email after the winningest Olympian in British history won at the TT on home soil, and they should have waited 12-14 hours so a bunch of Americans could watch terrible tape delayed coverage of it, even though NBC showed it live here in the States?

America is not the cosmos.

rustychisel
08-01-2012, 08:39 PM
It wasn't their first gold medal, either, since the women's pairs in rowing had earlier won the UK's first. Still, never let the facts get in the way of a good spoiler.

echelon_john
08-01-2012, 08:42 PM
They didn't have the results of the women's rowing--they were waiting to watch it on DVR later.

rustychisel
08-01-2012, 08:46 PM
They didn't have the results of the women's rowing--they were waiting to watch it on DVR later.

:bike: I see what you did there

67-59
08-01-2012, 08:49 PM
So you're unhappy that a British company sent out a congratulatory email after the winningest Olympian in British history won at the TT on home soil, and they should have waited 12-14 hours so a bunch of Americans could watch terrible tape delayed coverage of it, even though NBC showed it live here in the States?

America is not the cosmos.

I understand the congratulatory email. I'm upset that they didn't take the simple step to make clear in the title that it was a TT spoiler. Not rocket science.

It has nothing to do with whether America is the cosmos.

FlashUNC
08-01-2012, 09:09 PM
I understand the congratulatory email. I'm upset that they didn't take the simple step to make clear in the title that it was a TT spoiler. Not rocket science.

It has nothing to do with whether America is the cosmos.

So how long was acceptable to wait? 12-14 hours? A day?

They sent out a similar email the morning of the final stage of the Tour. Was that a spoiler?

I just think your expectations for a British company to insulate you from what's happening in their backyard are a little unrealistic.

67-59
08-01-2012, 09:21 PM
So how long was acceptable to wait? 12-14 hours? A day?

They sent out a similar email the morning of the final stage of the Tour. Was that a spoiler?

I just think your expectations for a British company to insulate you from what's happening in their backyard are a little unrealistic.

You didn't read what I wrote - they did NOT need to wait, and I am totally fine with them sending out a congratulatory email...the instant he won, if they like. They simply should have put something as simple as "Olympic Time Trial Results" in the subject line.

FlashUNC
08-01-2012, 09:41 PM
You didn't read what I wrote - they did NOT need to wait, and I am totally fine with them sending out a congratulatory email...the instant he won, if they like. They simply should have put something as simple as "Olympic Time Trial Results" in the subject line.

But isn't that a hint unto itself? They've been rather vocal boosters of British cycling. Why would they send out an email if Taylor Phinney won? I guess it would leave some suspense that it was either Wiggo or Froome.
So I don't see how they could have sent anything out that wasn't at least a mild spoiler.

saab2000
08-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Jim Rome mentioned this topic today. He talked about those guys who put their fingers in their ears and start singing when people talk about sporting events.

Get over it. Seriously.

67-59
08-01-2012, 10:32 PM
But isn't that a hint unto itself? They've been rather vocal boosters of British cycling. Why would they send out an email if Taylor Phinney won? I guess it would leave some suspense that it was either Wiggo or Froome.
So I don't see how they could have sent anything out that wasn't at least a mild spoiler.

I have seen them support more than just British cycling - go check out their website - so yes, there would still have been some suspense.

Guess I'm the only one here who prefers to watch an event without knowing the outcome. One of these days I'll post a result without a "spoiler" heading. Sounds like nobody will care.

67-59
08-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Jim Rome mentioned this topic today. He talked about those guys who put their fingers in their ears and start singing when people talk about sporting events.

Get over it. Seriously.

Jim's just bitter about that because that's what most people do whenever he talks...about anything.