PDA

View Full Version : OT: Self-balancing electric motorcycle

William
08-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Another outside-the-box idea: A self-balancing electric motorcycle from Lit Motors. I would drive one of those if the technology really works and it becomes affordable.

News Video
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/us/2012/08/01/simon-lit-motors-follow.cnn

Lit Motors
http://litmotors.com/home/

Video (I like the truck trying to pull it over and it rights itself :cool:)
http://litmotors.com/lit-news/

http://www.blogcdn.com/green.autoblog.com/media/2011/09/lit-motors-c-1-buck-628.jpg

Gyroscopes that balance the bike...

cmg
08-01-2012, 03:10 PM
looks cool and just $19k Hope it shows up 2014.

Chance
08-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Great videos but none show it actually working beyond walking speed. It’s a great concept that isn’t all that new. The first question that comes to mind is how will it transition from being self-standing to allowing it to lean on turns like bikes and motorcycles. Will the gyros try to fight a natural motorcycle lean at speed?

They may have already figured it out, don’t really know. Would be nice to see a video of the prototype going down the road and leaning into turns at any speed above 3 or 4 MPH. Also, not sure there is a big market for this type of vehicle.

cmg
08-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Great videos but none show it actually working beyond walking speed. It’s a great concept that isn’t all that new. The first question that comes to mind is how will it transition from being self-standing to allowing it to lean on turns like bikes and motorcycles. Will the gyros try to fight a natural motorcycle lean at speed?

They may have already figured it out, don’t really know. Would be nice to see a video of the prototype going down the road and leaning into turns at any speed above 3 or 4 MPH. Also, not sure there is a big market for this type of vehicle.

would imagine that at some speed the gyros shut off and allow the vehicle to behave like a motorcycle. other than looking cool what's the benefit? Just get an electric motorcycle or one of the 3 wheeled vehicles all ready on the market.

William
08-01-2012, 04:02 PM
would imagine that at some speed the gyros shut off and allow the vehicle to behave like a motorcycle. other than looking cool what's the benefit? Just get an electric motorcycle or one of the 3 wheeled vehicles all ready on the market.

Two wheels have less rolling resistance then three allowing more range? It is essentially an electric motorcycle that behaves more a car at slow speed due to the gyros. This also allows them to enclose the rider more like a car. I would agree I don't see a need for them at higher speeds but they mention them possibly keeping the vehicle upright during certain collisions so does that mean they are always on? Good question on how that effects leaning in turns. We need more info! :)

William

Chance
08-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Two wheels have less rolling resistance then three allowing more range?

Doubtful it makes much difference in rolling resistance as long as they are carrying the same amount of total weight. And while adding a third wheel to a vehicle will normally add weight, in this case it would eliminate the weight of the gyros, so total weight may actually be lower. Two wheels probably would have an advantage in aerodynamics. Much easier to shape the vehicle like a teardrop. And that could increase highway range.

ultraman6970
08-01-2012, 05:41 PM
The sucker that broke his head to design the giros and the balancing system is the genius one. The other stuff is just a basic electric motorcycle/scooter.

Great idea and great design but for 20 thousand dollars i'm better getting a used diesel VW or even a used hybrid.

For 10 thousand bucks they could position in the market big time but for 20 thousand no way.... too expensive.

Great idea!

William
08-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Agree, 10G's is a mover. 20G's is a have to be different...imho.

William

Mark McM
08-02-2012, 10:20 AM
So, is this intended to be an enclosed motorcycle, or is it to be a two wheeled car? It looks like they are trying to get the advantages of both a car and a motorcycle, but if they aren't careful they might end up the disadvantages of both instead.

Chance
08-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Was originally thinking of GM Lean Machine. Incredible fuel economy for its time 30 years ago but not commercially acceptable. Probably due to safety. More than a motorcycle but far less than a real car. Still simpler in design than the self-balancing motorcycle while providing most of the benefits.

http://www.schultzengineering.us/lean82.jpg

For an all-electric powered vehicle my guess is that a three wheeler with two wheels at front would be more acceptable. Much simpler and more car like. Probably not as much fun or as radically efficient, but who cares when you are getting 200 MPG or better? After a reasonable amount of fuel efficiency more just doesn’t add up to much. This is a nice looking example.

http://images.gizmag.com/hero/7586_6070762925_2.jpg

In my opinion safety concerns will remain the main hurdle to driving around in an 800-pound or lighter vehicle whether two or three wheels. Or four for that matter. Like discussed here recently in different threads about cycling in traffic, it would only take one relatively minor accident to kill you. It's a big risk.

christian
08-02-2012, 01:44 PM
I'd rather have an Oekomobil, but that's pretty cool.

ultraman6970
08-02-2012, 04:03 PM
They need to make one of tohse that doesnt need a motorcycle driver license.

There are so many good ideas that the big companies refuse to invest on that is just nuts.

Chance
08-02-2012, 04:17 PM
They need to make one of tohse that doesnt need a motorcycle driver license.

Great question when applied to 3-wheelers. Fairly sure three wheelers in my state qualify for motorcycle low insurance rates and also qualify to use high occupancy lanes even with a single rider. Just like motorcycles do. But since they drive like a car, do they require a motorcycle license? And if so, would you be able to take the motorcycle test on the three wheeler or do you have to use a standard 2-wheel motorcycle for the test?

Would make a difference if a person had a handicap that prevented riding a motorcycle.

dustyrider
08-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Great question when applied to 3-wheelers. Fairly sure three wheelers in my state qualify for motorcycle low insurance rates and also qualify to use high occupancy lanes even with a single rider. Just like motorcycles do. But since they drive like a car, do they require a motorcycle license? And if so, would you be able to take the motorcycle test on the three wheeler or do you have to use a standard 2-wheel motorcycle for the test?

Would make a difference if a person had a handicap that prevented riding a motorcycle.

I think it depends on the state, in regards to the license endorsement or not.
I'm fairly certain that if you buy a Can Am Spyder you can take the test on it in Colorado. There are safety courses you can take that allow you to bypass the state test, this may be regional specific as well. They're really very informative courses, and give you a chance to test out your motorcycle, some even provide motorcycles for you. And if you pass you not only bypass the test but sometimes get an even lower rate for your motorcycle insurance.

A three wheeler is ok in a HOV lane., as I believe all three wheelers are classified as a motorcycle.

The handicap question is interesting, I know there is a local who rides a giant Harley with his wheel chair in the sidecar. He does a gymnastic, super arm strength, move to get from the chair to the saddle, and back. The sidecar has a clever ramp that lets him roll in, and out. All the controls are on the bars.
He may have had his moto endorsement prior to the lower body immobility cause whether he's on the bike, or off you know he's a Harley owner. Leather vest, chaps, bandana the whole look.