08-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Hope your chains don't blow up.

MattTuck
08-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Hope your chains don't blow up.

Source?

fiamme red
08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
I guess the OP is referring to Luis León Sánchez, who snapped his chain right at the beginning.

MattTuck
08-01-2012, 11:44 AM
I guess the OP is referring to Luis León Sánchez, who snapped his chain right at the beginning.

yeah, Just looking for a source that it was indeed the group he was using, and that it was not related to dropping a chain or some other issue. i saw it on TV, but they didn't show it from the drive side (that I could see), and he still seemed to try to pedal, so it makes me think maybe it was just dropped.

Just looking for some reporting on the subject rather than conjecture.

fiamme red
08-01-2012, 11:50 AM
yeah, Just looking for a source that it was indeed the group he was using, and that it was not related to dropping a chain or some other issue. i saw it on TV, but they didn't show it from the drive side (that I could see), and he still seemed to try to pedal, so it makes me think maybe it was just dropped.

Just looking for some reporting on the subject rather than conjecture.He had to change bikes, so I doubt it was just a dropped chain.

reggiebaseball
08-01-2012, 11:55 AM
his chain exploded, not dropped, it popped.

from shimano catalogue:
"new CN-9000 chain is no longer directional and will now explode in either orientation"

Grant McLean
08-01-2012, 12:43 PM

Yeah, but i'd be totally surprised if he wasn't using electronic 10 speed,
which he rode in the Tour, and I don't see any reason to think he'd switch
to a mechanical 11 speed 9000 group for the Olympic time trial, that
makes no sense.

-g

reggiebaseball
08-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Shimano responds (via VeloNews)

"First, we would like to sincerely apologize for any embarrassment Mr. Sanchez has caused Shimano. While Mr. Sanchez is an adequate rider, he is not the best TT rider, and has not been qualified on our 9000 series components.

We advise that riders have a higher skill level to avoid issue with our new chainring design.

Second, we acknowledge that our best examples of series 9000 components were sent to madcow to inspire his glowing comments, while mere Olympic level athletes are provided with less ideal samples.

Please rest assured that the components our customers buy will be far more function than those provided to Mr. Sanchez.

Finally, we remind the public that most mechanics servicing individuals in the Olympics are potentially hacks, and not necessarily 9000-series certified.

We assume your local bike store is more qualified and our product will perform better.

In closing, we simply cannot rule out human error on the part of the Spanish national team, but we will replace the broken chain at no charge to the customer."

mvrider
08-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Watching the recording now, nice close-up of the bike. It sure looks like Di2 to me. The crankset is an SRM type with a 5-arm spider.

Also: Paul Sherwen mentioned that Cancellara had a snack and a "tube of glue" in his back pocket. GU should sue!

sandyrs
08-02-2012, 12:15 AM
In case he flatted a tubular he could glue up a new one with only a couple hours' worth of penalty!

jpw
08-02-2012, 07:03 AM

Just looking for some reporting on the subject rather than conjecture.

If you look carefully you may see that the chain came off completely and was on the yellow floor just in front of the starters feet. I think that's what I saw. Calamity Luis.

This photo shows Sanchez leaving the ramp sans chain and the starter's assistant picking the chain up off the floor;

http://www.london2012.com/cycling-road/photos/latestpictures.html

oldpotatoe
08-02-2012, 07:54 AM
If you look carefully you may see that the chain came off completely and was on the yellow floor just in front of the starters feet. I think that's what I saw. Calamity Luis.

This photo shows Sanchez leaving the ramp sans chain and the starter's assistant picking the chain up off the floor;

http://www.london2012.com/cycling-road/photos/latestpictures.html

That wrench will be looking for a new job..if installed correctly, no chain 'just breaks'.

Grant McLean
08-02-2012, 07:55 AM

I don't think that's what Lance was referring to as having a 'no chain' day. :banana:

-g

Mikej
08-02-2012, 10:03 AM
That wrench will be looking for a new job..if installed correctly, no chain 'just breaks'.

?? I have snapped a few chains at the plates - Manufacturers defect or SRAM.