PDA

View Full Version : barfly or k-edge?

fogrider
08-01-2012, 02:01 AM
ok, I've finally broken down and bought a garmin 200 mostly because it would be so easy to use on multiple bikes. and the rebate pushed me off the fence. on my mountain bike I have a slight rise on the bars and don't think I can mount it on the stem so it looks like I'm going to need the barfly or k-edge, any opinions?

alexstar
08-01-2012, 03:00 AM
I want the K-edge - aluminum, adjustable, colorful, and I believe made in the USA. Downsides: $50 and sold out quick; do you know who has it in stock?

Bruce K
08-01-2012, 04:42 AM
Reviews I saw on the Barfly were mediocre.

I ordered a K-Edge yesterday.

Note: they are currently in high demand and very hard to find. Black is impossible unless you are willing to wait for back orderof a couple of weeks at least.

I found the gunmetal at www.mpgear.com - $49.00 shipped.

BK

damocles
08-01-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm super happy with the Barfly. It's well made, sturdy and super lightweight. Haven't seen the K-Edge in person, but I've got no reason to seek one out based on having a Barfly.

gospastic
08-01-2012, 08:51 AM
I also have a Barfly. I love it. I've heard the K-Edge is a pretty tight fit. Not sure how the aluminum against plastic is going to hold up over time.

EDS
08-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Quark has a Garmin mount as well.

scrubadub
08-01-2012, 09:03 AM
I have a Barfly and a Raceware Direct mount. Both work great but are expensive and blingy for what you get.

Some people don't like the way the Barfly puts the computer slightly above the stem but I don't mind it. The RWD mount holds the Garmin a bit too tightly which concerns me because there are reports of the tabs breaking off. It makes adjusting the computer to be "perfectly" lined up also a bit more of a pain. But it does hold the computer lower and the guy who makes them is super responsive (he makes a version that's rotated 90 degrees for those with Garmin Forerunners). I also suspect it'll wear in over time or I could bend the tabs a bit.

More info on the RWD mount (and lots of other Garmin mounts) here at WW (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99896&start=90).

To be honest though, there's no reason not to just buy these from eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/300714966228?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_670wt_1110). A bunch of people across the hall (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/show-us-your-cockpit-27558.html) are using them. These are more flexible and don't limit you to just the Garmin 200/500/800. I'll probably get a couple of these at some point to compare just for fun.

Bruce K
08-01-2012, 09:05 AM
I spoke to the folks at Quark

Not available yet as they are doing a re-design

3T has a VERY cool integrated mount on a stem that does not seem to be available yet either

I'll report on the K-Edge when it arrives

BK

wasfast
08-01-2012, 01:04 PM
With all the options turning up for Garmin 500's, you have to wonder if Garmin should come out with something similar that doesn't potentially damage the housing.

firerescuefin
08-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Reviews I saw on the Barfly were mediocre.

I ordered a K-Edge yesterday.

Note: they are currently in high demand and very hard to find. Black is impossible unless you are willing to wait for back orderof a couple of weeks at least.

I found the gunmetal at www.mpgear.com - $49.00 shipped.

BK

Early adopter of the barfly...got the kedge 3 weeks ago...I like it quite a bit better.

firerescuefin
08-01-2012, 01:10 PM
With all the options turning up for Garmin 500's, you have to wonder if Garmin should come out with something similar that doesn't potentially damage the housing.

Neither has any chance of damaging the housing

Waldo
08-01-2012, 01:14 PM
I'd go with Barfly just because it has barf in it. Appeals to my sense of humor.

Bruce K
08-01-2012, 01:31 PM
You would Vlad ..... :eek:;)

BK

Waldo
08-01-2012, 03:38 PM
I would, too, if I used a Garmin...:)

wooly
08-01-2012, 04:01 PM
I have the Bar-fly and like how it puts the garmin further out from the bar. Easier to see the unit. The k-edge one is nice too.

mgm777
08-01-2012, 06:13 PM
I have the K-Edge and am very happy with it. Sturdy, adjustable and puts my 200 in a good position. Got the gunmetal colored unit from Excel's retail store here in Boulder. Black was back-ordered. The two biggest benefits are:
1. It places the Garmin in a much improved viewing position
2. Sweat, from my head no longer falls on the screen during hard efforts

FixedNotBroken
08-01-2012, 06:20 PM
They both do the same thing..pick what YOU like.

pdmtong
08-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I have the Bar-fly ...

of course you do. you have everything. is there something you don't have?

:)

seriously I was thinking barfly, sinc e plastic, would be easier on carbon bars and kedge since metal better for aluminimum bars. is that too simplistic?

wooly
08-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Pdmtong is like a dealer and I'm in need of a fix.

Seriously - I think youre spot on. That's why I got the barfly.

firerescuefin
08-01-2012, 07:53 PM

The only thing I would add is that the clamp force is very minimal with either clamp.

beeatnik
08-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Picked up a barfly from studio velo with free shipping. the garmin is surprisingly snug and secure on the mount. and yes, it's in a better position than on the stem. sure it looks pro, but i think the biggest benefit is for the OCD dudes who dont like the cluttered look of 2 rubber bands on the stem. i'm one of those dudes.

54ny77
08-01-2012, 10:32 PM
http://drunkard.com/issues/01_06/images/sc_barfly.jpg

pdmtong
08-01-2012, 11:40 PM

When wooly indulges...he sets the bar and the pace for us plebes.

As mel brooks said in History of the World Part 1, "it's good to be the king"

fogrider
08-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I just realized that my riser bars on my mountain bike is 26.0 and carbon. looks like I'm going to need some kind of adaptor. I would love to be able to pick up either the barfly or k-edge at a local shop...what do you think my chances are?

Bruce K
08-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Barfly maybe - K-edge would be tough

I just installed the K-edge. Simple, solid, stable, and very pretty. It places the Garmin low and in an easy position to read. Also, as someone said, it is no longer in the "drip zone".

Ride report soon.

BK

phlash23
08-02-2012, 05:07 PM
K-edge makes well thought out, designed and executed products. The chain watcher has saved me on the CX bike several times. Their mounts for GoPro camera's are rock solid! I have yet to get my hands on the Garmin mount, but if the ordering fairy at the shop came through, it should be in this week. :banana:
With their stuff, the old adage of "You get what you pay for" rings true.

FastforaSlowGuy
08-03-2012, 08:25 AM
I like my Barfly. It works well, installed very easily, and is significantly better than the stem mount that I had been using from Garmin. On aesthetics alone, I like the fact that there is only 1 bolt on the Barfly; it makes things look pretty seamless and less hardware-y.

ptourkin
08-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Love the Barfly. Solid fit and has the advantage for rando/endurance rides of leaving the port open for an external charge, which is why I bought it.

pdmtong
08-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Love the Barfly. Solid fit and has the advantage for rando/endurance rides of leaving the port open for an external charge, which is why I bought it.

good to know...I thought they were essentially the same, although the k-edge has some fore/aft adjustability.

the open port could be handy...

Aaron_Kellogg
08-04-2012, 01:04 AM
I've heard complaints about vibration being an issue with the bar-fly. Anyone had issues with this. I like the simplicity of the bar-fly just wish is placed the garmin a little lower so it was level with the stem and bars instead of above it.

Bruce K
08-04-2012, 04:27 AM
I rode with my K-edge yesterday.

Positioning is perfect. In periferal vision and out of the sweat zone. It is below the top of the handlebars, pretty much on the centerline.

Very solid with no vibration that i could see.

The adjustment could put it WAY out front giving easy access to the port for charging.

BK

scrubadub
08-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I've heard complaints about vibration being an issue with the bar-fly. Anyone had issues with this. I like the simplicity of the bar-fly just wish is placed the garmin a little lower so it was level with the stem and bars instead of above it.

You'll want the Raceware Direct one then. I haven't had problems with either this one or the Barfly with vibration. It looks like the charging port is also accessible on this one. The only catch on the RWD is that with my 3T stem the Garmin is just a hair to the left of center.

I'd love to get a K-Edge for comparison's sake but then I'll have spent nearly $150 on mounts and that's just getting ridiculous...

ptourkin
08-06-2012, 08:49 PM
I've never had problems with vibration on my Barf. Good to know that the K-Edge leaves room for the port. Thanks.

Now 3T takes it a step farther: http://www.3tcycling.com/products.aspx?p=Integra

jonnyBgood
08-06-2012, 08:59 PM
I have had the BarFly for about 8 months and looove it.

Tight enough fit that the Garmin unit doesn't move a bit and clamps on the handlebar with more than enough torque.

Never have had any issues with vibration and I ride gravel and dirt roads quite a bit on my road bike. I have even used it on my mountain bike on long MTB rides with no issues at all.

As far as charging I take it off and when I'm uploading and charging

pdmtong
08-06-2012, 09:02 PM
I've never had problems with vibration on my Barf. Good to know that the K-Edge leaves room for the port. Thanks.

Now 3T takes it a step farther: http://www.3tcycling.com/products.aspx?p=Integra

$350? ouchie! especially if you have multiple bikes...

Aaron_Kellogg
08-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Just bought the k-edge. interested to see how it does. Looked at the racewaredirect model but the k-edge was only 5 bucks more and seems like it might be a bit more sturdy and adjustable. I'll try and post some thoughts once it arrives and get some action.

Bruce K
08-07-2012, 02:27 AM
Too bad that 3T stem is so expensive. It is a great looking unit.

I love that it covers the mount when not in use.

BK

ClutchCargo
08-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Neither one of those is worth the $ unless it can also do this, atmo! :banana:

wooly
08-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Neither one of those is worth the $ unless it can also do this, atmo! :banana:

That's freakin classic.

pdmtong
08-07-2012, 12:22 PM
That's freakin classic.

these work best during a CX night race....right after you do the dollar bill grab

Bruce K
08-07-2012, 12:26 PM
I want one for my SS local rider.

Though it might be cool on the Zanc SS cross bike too:beer::beer:

BK

pdmtong
08-30-2012, 12:37 AM
The Barfly now comes in white...saw one today

jmeloy
08-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Everything I read references Garmin's 200/500/800. Neither mount works for a 705?

crownjewelwl
08-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Everything I read references Garmin's 200/500/800. Neither mount works for a 705?

you're outta luck...the interface is different

which is why we'll all be screwed when the next gen garmins come out (i just bot 2 k-edges!!)

Design Cycles
08-30-2012, 09:52 AM
ok, I've finally broken down and bought a garmin 200 mostly because it would be so easy to use on multiple bikes. and the rebate pushed me off the fence. on my mountain bike I have a slight rise on the bars and don't think I can mount it on the stem so it looks like I'm going to need the barfly or k-edge, any opinions?

The FlipLoc mounts are another solution. You can buy it direct for $35 free shipping and worldwide. It is available in two versions, one for standard 31.8mm handlebars and another for 22.2mm aerobars. Enjoy the ride and spread the word!

www.designcycles.net

azrider
04-10-2013, 04:24 PM
http://www.abovecategorycycling.com/shop/accessories2/computers-mounts/the-bar-fly-2-0.html

MattTuck
04-10-2013, 08:10 PM
My garmin edge 705 mounts my sliding it onto two horizontal rails. Are there aftermarket mounts for that type of interface?

rnhood
04-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Looks like they basically copied the K-edge in the way the Garmin aligns now. Its a little cheaper although I'd rather pay a little extra for the nicely finished aluminum K-edge. I'll stick with the K.

pdmtong
04-10-2013, 09:11 PM
the barfly 2.0 has an integrated mount on the underside for the Di2/ES junction box. need to see in person but that is pretty sweet.

neiltron
04-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Another happy Barfly owner here. Go with the Barfly, you won't be disappointed!

azrider
04-11-2013, 12:04 PM
i got the old version and will be transferring it to the MTB. Just put msyelf on list for 2.0. It's the little things in life to get excited about...........

oh and the Masters.

biker72
04-11-2013, 01:59 PM
The K-edge is in a better position for me.

pdmtong
04-21-2013, 09:29 AM
the barfly 2.0 has an integrated mount on the underside for the Di2/ES junction box. need to see in person but that is pretty sweet.

so I got a barfly 2.0 on Friday. mounted it up. the 1.0 now goes on the CX

The 2.0 is nice has a more positive "click" when the alignment is right. mounted position comparable to k-edge - nice low and pro. the junction box will zip tie to the mount. the 2.0 is much thicker visually from the side, versus the kedge or 1.0

barfly at $25 vs kedge at $50?

- if you have one bike, mechanical, k edge would be an aesthetic treat.

- if you think $50 is ridiculous, have multiple bikes or Di2/EPS...go barfly 2.0.

azrider
04-21-2013, 09:44 AM
The 2.0 is nice has a more positive "click" when the alignment is right

nice....besides placement, the fact that there is no positive click on 1.0 version always bugged me. glad they got that corrected.

i ordered mine also but still have not seen it.....

pdmtong
04-21-2013, 10:13 AM
nice....besides placement, the fact that there is no positive click on 1.0 version always bugged me. glad they got that corrected.

i ordered mine also but still have not seen it.....

I bought it directly from woody at their barfly booth at sea otter. I suspect the mail order ones go on may 1 as promised.

it is the same kind of click you get from the factory rubber band mount

azrider
04-21-2013, 10:13 AM
I bought it directly from woody at their barfly booth at sea otter

it is the same kind of click you get from the factory rubber band mount

sooooooo you probably took mine. :p

tpalmer
04-21-2013, 10:20 AM
One of the nice things about the k-edge is it is fore/aft adjustable, which makes it easier to find the position you like and fits all garmin units (810,800,510 / 500) The barfly position is fixed.

pdmtong
04-21-2013, 10:23 AM
One of the nice things about the k-edge is it is fore/aft adjustable, which makes it easier to find the position you like and fits all garmin units (810,800,510 / 500) The barfly position is fixed.

the 2.0 accommodates the various garmins
the position of my 500 on the 2.0 is as nice as on my k-edge.

no doubt k-edge is cleaner. but now at 2x price it is way less compelling (to me)if you have >1 bike

imho these are the two choices. the garmin brand mount and the fliploc a distant 3rd/4th

Riders120
04-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Have you seen the 3T Integra stem??? That's the way to go!

pdmtong
04-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Have you seen the 3T Integra stem??? That's the way to go!

ok ok ok...you got me there. yes that is THE WAY to go.

I'll order that when my Dogma EPS with SRM and Lightweights comes in

firerescuefin
04-21-2013, 10:37 AM
ok ok ok...you got me there. yes that is THE WAY to go.

I'll order that when my Dogma EPS with SRM and Lightweights comes in

Look Tonger...I've seen some of your rides on here....you're not "rockin" bikes out of boxes...looking forward to that Dogma/EPS/SRM/Lightweights...it will compliment the "fleet":cool:

Riders120
04-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Given that its garmin/3t shouldn't that be a cervelo r5ca with campy eps and lightweights?

pdmtong
04-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Given that its garmin/3t shouldn't that be a cervelo r5ca with campy eps and lightweights?

Look Tonger...I've seen some of your rides on here....you're not "rockin" bikes out of boxes...looking forward to that Dogma/EPS/SRM/Lightweights...it will compliment the "fleet":cool:

since I am back from sea otter, all that n+1 stuff is starting to bubble and gurgle again...but mainly on the mtb side.

I am so busted here.

Back to the topic, IMHO the barfly 1.0 was great, but then last year is when I saw the prototype k-edge...k-edge or BF 1.0? no question...the k-edge. especially at only $10 difference. Now however, the BF 2.0 has stepped up, in both function and in price. Game on....

The BF 2.0 at $25 pretty much kills any chance of reselling the BF 1.0. I'll just move mine onto the mtb whereas before was just happy with the rubber band thing, especially if I take a digger on the dirt.

Rueda Tropical
04-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Do any of these work with 26.0 bars?

sc53
04-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Garmin now offers its own mount that comes with a rubber shim thick enough to allow the mount-- or any of these other mounts for that matter--to fit on 26 bars. I have the Garmin mount, the K Edge in red, the Barfly in white, and the $19 SRAM mount. They all seem to work fine. The SRAM mounts with a Torx 25 screwdriver, and the K Edge has 3 screws to tighten whereas the rest have only one, but otherwise these are all nice mounts and I'd just get the cheapest (SRAM) and be done with it.

danl1
04-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Garmin now offers its own mount that comes with a rubber shim thick enough to allow the mount-- or any of these other mounts for that matter--to fit on 26 bars. I have the Garmin mount, the K Edge in red, the Barfly in white, and the $19 SRAM mount. They all seem to work fine. The SRAM mounts with a Torx 25 screwdriver, and the K Edge has 3 screws to tighten whereas the rest have only one, but otherwise these are all nice mounts and I'd just get the cheapest (SRAM) and be done with it.

Agree. I have the barfly (1, apparently) and the SRAM, and the SRAM is the winner for function (positive click and smooth action) and price. Wish they had chosen a common hex instead of teh T25, but it's a small matter.

can't convince myself that the K-edge is either necessary, or an especially good idea, all considered. Plastic seems the better choice for this application, IMO.

pdmtong
04-21-2013, 10:38 PM
...looking forward to that Dogma/EPS/SRM/Lightweights...it will compliment the "fleet":cool:

I re-read this...sorry for the false alert...I DO NOT have one of these coming.
I should have said when the day comes that I order blah-blah-blah I'll get the integrated 3T.

yeesh, I got bills to pay too. Sadly, no $20k+ bike for me in this lifetime.... :-)

pdmtong
04-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Update on Barfly 2.0

when mounted the top of the garmin sits on the same plane as the top of the bar. this is lower than 1.0 obviously but still higher than the k-edge which has the top of the garmin sitting slightly lower around the mid-bar level

the 2.0 has two mounting points. you can fit the 500 close to the bar or further away - your preference.

if you look from below or the side the mount is bulkier than the k-edge simply due to using delrin/plastic versus the slimness ans strength of metal. this bulk is not apparent at all from the view from the cockpit

bambam
04-29-2013, 02:34 PM
On my mtn bike I find I don't have time to look at the computer.

(I got some boo-boo's whan I loked at my computer on a road bike once)

On my mtn bike I just start it up and put in my cammelbak/seatbag/back pocket.

Just another thought...

firerescuefin
04-29-2013, 02:37 PM
On my mtn bike I find I don't have time to look at the computer.

(I got some boo-boo's whan I loked at my computer on a road bike once)

On my mtn bike I just start it up and put in my cammelbak/seatbag/back pocket.

Just another thought...

What happens when you need a drink of water or need something to eat:help:

;)

bambam
04-29-2013, 03:06 PM
What happens when you need a drink of water or need something to eat:help:

;)

Wait for an unbusy part of the trail and put the c-back tube in my mouth or stop and eat something.

I tend to ride mostly single track on the mtn bike and never seem to have time to gaze at the computer. Just at the trees I want to avoid.