PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on possibly sour transaction

slidey
07-31-2012, 08:40 PM
I responded to this ad: http://louisville.craigslist.org/spo/3147368310.html
and had a long enough e-mail conversation with the guy and he agreed to sell me the pictured compact crankset. We agreed upon a price on Fri, I made a Paypal "Gift" payment (from BOA account, checked and the transaction was cleared yesterday) on Sun evening, he confirmed receiving the money in a couple of hours and said he'd get it out the next day i.e. yesterday but I haven't heard back from him yet. I'm beginning to think that he's trying to keep the money and the crank for himself. Unfortunately I don't have him phone number...I however do have his e-mail address, have his ad's URL, know his name and know which city he's in. Any suggestions how I should start trying to get my money back?

If anyone can give me suggestions to take this matter forward or know of this person could you PM me or leave a post?

noel
07-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Why people send PayPal payments as "gift" I'll never understand.

rugbysecondrow
07-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Today is only Tues, I would give the guy a few more days. Life happens sometimes and bike stuff takes back seat. I would take his email address of the thread until you know there is an issue. So far, the guy is just a little slow with email, but he might have actually sent it like he said.

Aaron O
07-31-2012, 08:47 PM
He might have shipped it without contacting you...I think it's early to panic yet.

As a general guide, I'd be very careful paying via paypal as a gift with someone I didn't know. I'm on the other end right now - I'm trying to facilitate a bike purchase for a relative stranger and I had to request gift because I don't want to risk liability for a sales transaction.

justinrchan
07-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Agreed on the gift thing. I know it saves on fees but you really screw yourself in cases like this.

Anyways, I would give him another day and if nothing then I would lodge a complaint with paypal. You might lose out since payment was sent as a gift.

pdmtong
07-31-2012, 08:51 PM
whenever I buy something long distance, I call the person and we have a conversation. email just isnt enough if the amoutn in question is important to you.

life happens. a few days doesnt warrant a panic. people have jobs, kids and grocery shopping and various other interuptions.

take the guys email addy off thread until you are certain you are screwed.

Fixed
07-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Today is only Tues, I would give the guy a few more days. Life happens sometimes and bike stuff takes back seat. I would take his email address of the thread until you know there is an issue. So far, the guy is just a little slow with email, but he might have actually sent it like he said.

+1
Not everyone is like most of the forum members some guys take a week or so to send . Hope it works out for you :bike:
Cheers

Louis
07-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Give the guy a chance to send the thing. IMO you're over-reacting.

eddief
07-31-2012, 08:57 PM
he lives in the hood...and he is never too busy for a goose chase.

bikinchris
07-31-2012, 08:57 PM
If you agreed to send him a gift payment you are just plain SOL if he is not honest.

Louis
07-31-2012, 08:58 PM
he lives in the hood...and he is never too busy for a goose chase.

Different 'hood. ;)

AngryScientist
07-31-2012, 09:00 PM
PayPal gift for people you don't know well is a no-no IMO. Besides, of course the fact that it is fraud. Consider if you paid 250 for the crank the pp fee is only 6.50, a small price to pay (or split with the seller) for some security. I sincerely hope it works out ok though, it sucks when deals go bad.

markie
07-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Give the seller a chance. (And delete the personal info. Save that for a last resort.)

Louis
07-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Note to self: If I ever sell Slidey anything, be sure I ship it before s/he pays. Otherwise, I might end up with broken kneecaps. ;)

gdw
07-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Relax and remove his personal information. The only thing the guy hasn't done so far is notify you that the crankset was mailed. It's way too early to panic.

oliver1850
07-31-2012, 09:22 PM
First of all, don't use "gift", use "payment owed". It's a legitimate way to pay with paypal. Make a note in the message section as to what you're paying for. For payment method, use your credit card, not your bank account. This gives another avenue of redress if the seller doesn't come through.

I wouldn't be too worried yet. I've had sellers here wait a week before shipping (not that it mattered to me). Some folks do have things to do.

slidey
07-31-2012, 09:47 PM
haha...I didn't intend that at all. Broken bike, maybe...hit 'em where it hurts ;)

Note to self: If I ever sell Slidey anything, be sure I ship it before s/he pays. Otherwise, I might end up with broken kneecaps. ;)

slidey
07-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Well, thanks for the reassurances. I should've mentioned that I'm expecting to get some solid info on tackling this issue now, so I have my moves planned when the right time comes. I know it's too early to really jump on to a course of negative action but never hurts to know.

And yes, the "gift" option was a very daft move...I guess I've become too trusting of people :rolleyes:

jimcav
07-31-2012, 10:29 PM
I responded to this ad: he confirmed receiving the money in a couple of hours and said he'd get it out the next day i.e. yesterday but I haven't heard back from him yet.
i don't get a 1-day shipping notice even from amazon sellers, let a lone some private individual. unless you had some "do it express or priority mail because i need it for a race saturday deal agreement", i see no reason to assume you've been had or even get concerned fro several days at least
hope it works out
jim

pcxmbfj
08-01-2012, 02:55 AM
If it doesn't work out file a complaint with the FBI internet crime division.

Won't get your goods if he's a flam but might reck some havoc with his life down the road.

slidey
08-01-2012, 05:34 PM
All's right with the world! The crankset was thrown at my doorstep by the USPS postman this afternoon.

And finally I got one e-mail back from the seller telling me how he had no internet access for a week (I'm guessing he meant intermittent access, since we were communicating three days back). So it does seem like circumstances prevented him from communicating...and hence this is public apology to have doubted him. Honestly though, I'm glad that I'm apologising than having to deal with the complications of a sour transaction!

Three cheers for the upfront people in society :)

merlincustom1
08-01-2012, 06:30 PM
What does it say about us as a culture that we let out a huge sigh of relief when folks just do the **** that they're supposed to?

ctcyclistbob
08-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Shipped Monday right after money cleared, received Wednesday, sounds like a reliable seller and a good result.

Trusting people doesn't always work out, but it does most times and gladly this time.

Enjoy the crankset and ride it in good health.

rugbysecondrow
08-01-2012, 06:49 PM
shipped monday right after money cleared, received wednesday, sounds like a reliable seller and a good result.

Trusting people doesn't always work out, but it does most times and gladly this time.

+1

slidey
08-01-2012, 07:13 PM
I take the following philosophies seriously:

Plan for the worst, hope for the best/ Murphy's Law/glass is always half-full and worse still, glass is fragile :eek:

There are a few more of us out there I'm sure...I try to do the right thing but don't expect everyone else to do so.

What does it say about us as a culture that we let out a huge sigh of relief when folks just do the **** that they're supposed to?

slidey
08-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Couldn't agree more! I was pleased as punch when I saw the crankset on my doorstep and immediately shot off an apologetic mail to the seller.

I'm just delighted that my trust wasn't misplaced.

On a slightly tangential note, I was also quite impressed that USPS was able to operate so efficiently from a rural town, where apparently internet service has been down this past week :eek:

But yes, all round good results :banana:

Shipped Monday right after money cleared, received Wednesday, sounds like a reliable seller and a good result.

merlincustom1
08-01-2012, 08:17 PM
I take the following philosophies seriously:

Plan for the worst, hope for the best/ Murphy's Law/glass is always half-full and worse still, glass is fragile :eek:

There are a few more of us out there I'm sure...I try to do the right thing but don't expect everyone else to do so.

Also, if you have no expectations, you can't be disappointed!

Fixed
08-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Expecting The worse might not be the best way to go through life .
IMHO
Cheers

it is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all

Jason E
08-01-2012, 08:49 PM
It does lead to 6 of 28 posts in a 24hr period for a problem that wasn't. I think it calls for some relaxation drills.

Fishbike
08-01-2012, 08:53 PM
This situation -- even though a false alarm -- exemplifies how the proliferation of email has made us expect -- no demand-- immediate responses and actions. We expect everybody to drop everything and respond to us. I know I often do. And we are more stressed than ever trying to keep up or wondering how someone could not possibly reply. One of the main reasons I build and ride bikes is to unplug.

e-RICHIE
08-01-2012, 09:00 PM
This situation -- even though a false alarm -- exemplifies how the proliferation of email has made us expect -- no demand-- immediate responses and actions. We expect everybody to drop everything and respond to us. I know I often do. And we are more stressed than ever trying to keep up or wondering how someone could not possibly reply. One of the main reasons I build and ride bikes is to unplug.

This ^ atmo.

I read the OP and wondered what all the ^&$)# was about given
the small window of time that passed since the fiscal hookup atmo.
PS the 3 percent saved (sic) by trying to use Paypal without paying
for the service is low road.

ps

arrange disorder

:):):)
:):):cool:

slidey
08-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Yup, totally agree. Riding helps me in much the same way, to unplug...what's more, I find it even more engaging to ride electronics-free (no bike computer)! I do carry my phone with me though, for music and for emergency contact.

echelon_john
08-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Just as a counterpoint, the seller could well view your actions as a breach of trust. If I'm reading correctly, he did exactly what he said he'd do, when he said he'd do it, and you still called him out and published his personal info on a web site.

All's well that ends well, and I'm glad you got your stuff, but it seems like you were the one out of line in this whole deal.

I'm just delighted that my trust wasn't misplaced.

slidey
08-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Well, the window of time wasn't relatively small, in the sense, seller and I exchanged around 20 e-mails all within 2 days, i.e. on an average 1 reply every 2h30mins...and after I made the payment and he said he'd intimate me of a tracking number I didn't hear back for 2 whole days. That's what sent the cautionary bells ringing in my head and I tried to gather opinions on here to get my act together and start planning how to go about doing some fire-fighting, if need be.

Also, I agree on the paypal fee skippy bit...but I'm a student and $2 is a coffee, which amounts to half-a-day of productivity...which means quite a damn lot to me. But yeah, message received :)

This ^ atmo.

I read the OP and wondered what all the ^&$)# was about given
the small window of time that passed since the fiscal hookup atmo.
PS the 3 percent saved (sic) by trying to use Paypal without paying
for the service is low road.

ps

arrange disorder

:):):cool:

slidey
08-01-2012, 09:12 PM
All read correctly, but for the bit that he said he'd respond back to me with a tracking number...which I waited almost 2 days for before I panicked.

Also, there is no denying that there was a breach of trust...but in my defense, it was due to my not considering that internet in his area was down for a week (his exact words).

Just as a counterpoint, the seller could well view your actions as a breach of trust. If I'm reading correctly, he did exactly what he said he'd do, when he said he'd do it, and you still called him out and published his personal info on a web site.

All's well that ends well, and I'm glad you got your stuff, but it seems like you were the one out of line in this whole deal.

e-RICHIE
08-01-2012, 09:18 PM
...and after I made the payment and he said he'd intimate me of a tracking number I didn't hear back for 2 whole days. <cut>

That's the salient message here. Two days is a heartbeat. We all should slow
down and not let these things run our lives. I know someone already mentioned
it above. Communication/replies don't have to match upload speed atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jason E
08-01-2012, 09:20 PM
You experienced a flawless transaction. You must not have been around in the heyday of eBay.

slidey
08-01-2012, 09:25 PM
You're right and as someone said, "not having expectations equates to no disappointments" is also an interesting philosophy...but it can only gain traction with me when I'm slightly wealthier...which is a long way off :rolleyes:

That's the salient message here. Two days is a heartbeat. We all should slow
down and not let these things run our lives. I know someone already mentioned
it above. Communication/replies don't have to match upload speed atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

slidey
08-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Ooh, I'll tell you what though...I've in fact experienced a fraudulent transaction once on eBay (amount: $1500) less than a year back. The seller's account was hacked and an auction was started which I won...however after the item didn't ship out for a while I contacted the seller and the item he was selling was news to him :cool: Both of us placed calls to eBay, who in turn contacted Paypal and had the money refunded to me promptly. So I've not had any bad experiences with eBay so far, yes...but I can only assume how it might've been before reaching it's stable state now. Similarly, I've been extremely fortunate in my transactions on craigslist as well...I've met my share of nigerian princes and italian ministers but I haven't sold them squat so all's good :)

You experienced a flawless transaction. You must not have been around in the heyday of eBay.

Louis
08-01-2012, 10:45 PM
This situation -- even though a false alarm -- exemplifies how the proliferation of email has made us expect -- no demand-- immediate responses and actions. We expect everybody to drop everything and respond to us.

This is part of the reason I don't have a cell / smart phone and have no plans to get one. Only if I am forced to (say, if they discontinue land lines in my area) will I bother going that route.

dave thompson
08-01-2012, 11:24 PM
This is part of the reason I don't have a cell / smart phone and have no plans to get one. Only if I am forced to (say, if they discontinue land lines in my area) will I bother going that route.

I didn't have one either until my company gave me an iPhone 4. It's on and in use only for the necessary reports I have to do, otherwise it's off. I'm not a Luddite, I love technology but I refuse to be run by it, I run it.

At slidey's expense, this may be a good life lesson in patience, humility and discretion.

pdmtong
08-01-2012, 11:33 PM
dub ya Tee eff...next time get a phone number and talk to a person live, real time

what happened to that element of social interaction?

slidey
08-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Yeah, why not...go on taking classes at my expense ;)

At slidey's expense, this may be a good life lesson in patience, humility and discretion.

oldpotatoe
08-02-2012, 09:36 AM
dub ya Tee eff...next time get a phone number and talk to a person live, real time

what happened to that element of social interaction?

no kidding...