PDA

View Full Version : Long reach v. regular brakes

LegendRider
07-31-2012, 12:24 PM
A friend has purchased a set of Ultegra 6600 brakes to replace a pair of Cane Creek SCR-3Ls. I installed them before realizing that the Cane Creeks are long reach and the Ultegras are 1 - 2mm too short (i.e., in the lowest setting the brake pad rubs the tire). Is there any work-around or is he stuck?

Kontact
07-31-2012, 12:33 PM
A friend has purchased a set of Ultegra 6600 brakes to replace a pair of Cane Creek SCR-3Ls. I installed them before realizing that the Cane Creeks are long reach and the Ultegras are 1 - 2mm too short (i.e., in the lowest setting the brake pad rubs the tire). Is there any work-around or is he stuck?

Stuck.

Luckily, there is absolutely nothing wrong with SCR-3Ls that can't be fixed with new brake pads.

AngryScientist
07-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Stuck.

Luckily, there is absolutely nothing wrong with SCR-3Ls that can't be fixed with new brake pads.

agreed. cane creek makes some very decent stuff.

nighthawk
07-31-2012, 12:44 PM
You could look at other medium/long reach options (tektro has some) but there's no way to make the Ultegras work beyond modifying the calipers, which really isn't a good idea.

KidWok
07-31-2012, 01:16 PM
You could look at other medium/long reach options (tektro has some) but there's no way to make the Ultegras work beyond modifying the calipers, which really isn't a good idea.

Since Cane Creek brakes and levers are pretty much just re-badged Tektro's, OP might as well just go back to the old brakes.

I wouldn't hesitate to use higher end Tektro's on a nice build. The only thing is that the Tektro OEM black brake bad is probably one of the worst ever made. I swap them out right from the start and have always been tempted to give them to someone with the new Mavic Exalith rims just to see if they might work in that application because they are so damn hard. Switching to some Shimano standard black pads or KoolStop Salmon will make the Tektro/Cane Creek calipers feel much better.

Tai

hiljentaa
07-31-2012, 01:50 PM
There is a company out there making an offset/dropped pad holder. Drops the pad about 4-5mm IIRC.

Personally I'd just get some salmon pads for the original brakes and call it a day.

Chance
07-31-2012, 02:57 PM
If he is set on Shimano Ultegra-level calipers they make a longer reach also. Believe the model is BR-R650 or BR-R600 with reach in the 47 to 57 mm range. You may want to do a search for those to see if that would work.

nighthawk
08-01-2012, 06:54 AM
If he is set on Shimano Ultegra-level calipers they make a longer reach also. Believe the model is BR-R650 or BR-R600 with reach in the 47 to 57 mm range. You may want to do a search for those to see if that would work.

Sounds like your solution, right there. I didn't realize you could get ultegra calipers with a longer reach.

LegendRider
08-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the responses. I put the Cane Creeks back on and with better pads they function fine. The stock pads are horrible.

I'll have some nice brakes for sale in the classified soon!